Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hose out the Thing?
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:21 am    Post subject: Hose out the Thing? Reply with quote

Just bought a Thing that had been sitting inside for 25 years. It's pretty dusty and dirty.

Will it hurt anything if I use a garden hose to clean out the inside? It's going tip be pretty got the next few days so I figure it should dry pretty quickly. I'll be careful around the dash area, but was just curious if there was some reason I'm not considering that would make this a bad idea?

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
germanbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

make sure there are no carpets in it and the drain holes are open in the bottom of the doors and pan and hose away. Use a towel and soak up and water that does not drain out. Put it in the sun and let it bake.
GB
77kafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shouldn't be any problems, let's see some pictures.

Overheard on 27 June 07, one lady to another when they saw my Harli in a parking lot at West Point, "maybe he found it on the clearance aisle at the Volkswagen dealer"
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A leaf blower helps get water from nooks and crannies too! I use this method after each time I wash a vehicle! Keeps water from setting in low spots..
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8080337#8080337
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
Banker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use an air nozzle with my air compressor.

07 Charger Sublime
03 Goldwing
74 Thing
rrankin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

take the seats out so they don't get wet on the underside...

I use a shop vacuum on mine to get the extra water out then shammy it.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Shmerk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Hose out the Thing? Reply with quote

I have a problem with water collecting in the rear shelf areas when I leave my thing out in the rain with just the Bikini top. I'm thinking of drilling some small drain holes at the corners, but then it seems like I would need to provide some channels/tubes to guide the water around the parts below. Has anyone done this?
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Hose out the Thing? Reply with quote

I have that happen and it just sloshes away when I drive next; hasn't been a big deal. I think if the holes are in the corners, the water would just drip to the edges of the engine compartment and find it's way out pretty quickly.

I personally wouldn't worry about drain hoses and all that. They'd probably get clogged up with dust and dirt pretty quickly anyway.

I think today I'm going to need to get my Thing all covered for a while. It doesn't have a top yet, it's cold out, and I got LASIK surgery last week so I should be wary of driving around where stuff can fly into my eyes for a while anyway. Today is the last day before a big cold snap comes, so it will be my best chance I think.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:35 am    Post subject: Re: Hose out the Thing? Reply with quote

I added extra drain hole to the floor of the first Thing I had, and need to do it to this one. The holes need to be at least 1/4" in diameter to reduce clogging.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: