Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

decklid standoffs
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrKeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Glenn good point!
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonathonkeck wrote:
my question is: if I am driving around and it rains outside will it be a problem or is it only a problem when the car is parked and it rains? I guess I'm just confused on when rain would be a problem while running them if i get caught out in it.

I've had standoffs on my VWs for over 30 years each. Yeah, I'm in Arizona, but we do get storms sometimes, and it can pour in buckets. Just ONCE did my VW get so soaked while parked outside that I couldn't start it, but it readily started and was fine the next day.

While driving in such rains, I NEVER had any misfires, stalling, etc.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Nevada Notch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to see someone make and offer for sale, the deck lid standoff's that are adjustable either in or out with the quick pull of a pin.

Here is the post for the standoff's I'm talking about. Just scroll down about 1/2 of the post to see the stand offs.... Islandman made these and I have to say they are pretty cool!

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=285113

I would purchase a set if they were available.
99% Resto-Custom Daily Driver
DrKeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
jonathonkeck wrote:
my question is: if I am driving around and it rains outside will it be a problem or is it only a problem when the car is parked and it rains? I guess I'm just confused on when rain would be a problem while running them if i get caught out in it.

I've had standoffs on my VWs for over 30 years each. Yeah, I'm in Arizona, but we do get storms sometimes, and it can pour in buckets. Just ONCE did my VW get so soaked while parked outside that I couldn't start it, but it readily started and was fine the next day.

Cusser, Do you have anything covering you coil connection and your alternator? or are those wire connections exposed? I would love to see a picture of your engine bay if you have them covered to see how to make sure water doesn't cause a problem with my electrical system.
Ruckess
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Baja's have exposed engines and don't have any problems in the rain.

So I had a Baja bug and when it rained or snowed I'd would struggle to run and didn't run right. My mom and I made a cover from faux leather it covered my ignition and distributor and didn't have problems after that.

So a question on the cooling system. The vents on my 63 beetle below the window pull the air in for cooling as well as for the engine to run. The previous owner put a 1500cc single port engine and my Temps are about 230-240 degrees stays in the middle between 220 and 260 on the oil temp gauge. Just wanting to make sure this is about the normal temp for 95 degree weather. I have been thinking about the standoffs but heard to much about the og engineers unlimited budgets and Germany invading other countries to test in different climates. Just curious if others suggest additional vents are ideal to get lower temp if needed due to the engine being bigger than stock. Thanks in advance Smile
spanky324
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRY A TENNIS BALL!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrKeck wrote:
Cusser wrote:
jonathonkeck wrote:

Cusser, Do you have anything covering you coil connection and your alternator? or are those wire connections exposed? I would love to see a picture of your engine bay if you have them covered to see how to make sure water doesn't cause a problem with my electrical system.

I don't have anything covering the coil, distributor, or my generator. I remember trying (about 30 years ago) a rubber distributor waterproof cover, but I wasn't too fond of that. See photo; tin needs some painting, but that 1835cc engine sure runs well !!! That's a single Weber 40DCNF carb and a German 009, from 1976.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
kbman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several people who responded to this post stated that VW put louvers on the deck lid when they put the dog house oil cooler in. It is true that all engines that came with dog house oil coolers from VW did have louvers on the deck lids, but louvers were installed on the deck lids a year or two ahead of the dog houses. VW found that it was necessary to get more air into the engine compartment when they increased engine displacement from 1500cc to 1600cc in the model year 1970 with the single port B case. There are a lot of pre 1970 bugs running 1600 or larger engines that need to get more air into the engine bay in order to run right for both cooling and combustion. It's easy to fix the problem on the fat chic's. Deck lids from 70ties bugs bolt right up to to 68 and 69 bugs. On 67 on back you don't have that option. Stand offs or propping open the deck are by far your cheapest option. I use the stand off's in the summer because I need the extra cooling they provide. I live in a mountain community and when coming home in the afternoon it's in the 90ies or low 100s at the bottom and with over a 5000 foot elevation gain in less 30 minutes my oil temps were pushing 140 degrees and I would have pull over for 30 minutes for a cool down. I was already running doghouse and correctly fitted tin. When I went to the stand offs the problem was salved oil temps stay under 130 even when the it 113 degrees at the bottom. But is a problem that I do have with stand offs Dirt ,leaves, rain, and snow end up in the engine bay. I found out the hard way that in the winter need to take stand off out in the winter. It's very dry here in the summer but it's very wet in the winter. After a hard rain of over an inch the float bowls in my Webers filled with water.
kbman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Opp's I was having a senior moment. I used to pull the car over for a cool down when the oil temp hit 240 degrees not 140 degrees.
Gipeto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: decklid standoffs Reply with quote

Wow, read 5 pages on this thread out of curiosity. I've been questioning the whole engineering aspect of the air intake and cooling. I didn't fully understand how, if the air for cooling is being drawn from behind the shroud (in front) and was vapor locking, so to speak, the engine compartment do to it's inability to draw enough air, where is the air cleaner drawing its air from? I have a 67, running a 71-1600 and have no vents in the deck lid. Yet mine seems to run pretty well. Maybe just the fact I live in Vt and only run this in summer? Max temps usually 75-90 f. I don't know. It's just something that's sat in the back of my mind. Seems like whatever combustion air is drawn in would tend to be rather warm. I have a 68 air cleaner with 2 air snouts on it and they both tend to point down. I'll take any thoughts on this. Not as to what to do about it, that's been covered pretty well here.
bill may
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: decklid standoffs Reply with quote

i have seen a dish washing glove used to cover distributor by putting holes in finger tips for plug wires and center coil wire. 4 fingers and a thumb.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: