Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Replacing air cooled motor with water cooled VW 1.8T
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mittens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:31 pm    Post subject: Replacing air cooled motor with water cooled VW 1.8T Reply with quote

before people start fly off the handle and stuff - I already looked through the forums about this, and nothing.

so here's my dealing - I'd like get a 911 or 914 that doesn't have a motor and drop in a new or rebuilt Volkswagen 1.8 Turbo in it and tune it to push the car.

this is my source for tuning. http://store.blackforestindustries.com/apr20tsis3rk.html

http://shopping.boraparts.com/product_info.php?cPath=21_28_139_148&products_id=1515

my questioning is :

will it bolt to the trans-axle?
how much power can the trans-axle hold before it goes boom?
will the 911 be drive able or will it be to front heavy?

mind you this is just a thought.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Facebook Twitter Classifieds Feedback
Wolfgangdieter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a tall, long engine to be placed in either car. In a 914 you would have to cut into the firewall where the seats are directly on other side. In a 911 it will require a bubble on the engine lid. I've seen normally aspirated one in replica Speedster and Spyders using VW T1 transmissions. I think the 901/911 series trans is good for 300 hp so that should be adequate.

To me a 4 or even 6 cylinder Subaru engine would be a better match. It isn't tall or long. There are both 914 and 911 running around with V8's and V6's under their hoods - so weight should not be that much of an issue.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolfgangdieter wrote:
That's a tall, long engine to be placed in either car. In a 914 you would have to cut into the firewall where the seats are directly on other side. In a 911 it will require a bubble on the engine lid. I've seen normally aspirated one in replica Speedster and Spyders using VW T1 transmissions. I think the 901/911 series trans is good for 300 hp so that should be adequate.

To me a 4 or even 6 cylinder Subaru engine would be a better match. It isn't tall or long. There are both 914 and 911 running around with V8's and V6's under their hoods - so weight should not be that much of an issue.

Actually the weight is a huge issue. ....handling aside.....which will require every single part of the suspension to be changed or upgraded...just for handling and balance.....mwhen putting in small v-8 or v-6.....considerable bracing is required in certain areas.

No more or less of an issue with any other heavier engine change....... but weight is an issue., Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sailor Jerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:

Actually the weight is a huge issue. ....handling aside.....which will require every single part of the suspension to be changed or upgraded...just for handling and balance.....mwhen putting in small v-8 or v-6.....considerable bracing is required in certain areas.

No more or less of an issue with any other heavier engine change....... but weight is an issue., Ray

The weight isn't actually that much of an issue, they are within 25 lbs or so I believe although the distribution of weight is much different due to being an inline as opposed to flat 4. I have a 2.0 in my beetle and it required modification to the firewall for the coolant line coming off the side of the head. You will also need an adapter and a special flywheel/clutch along with creating a cooling system. I wouldn't recommend trying this project on a 911 chassis, maybe see if you can get it to work on a ghia or beetle first. Its not a simple swap.
dgardrs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Intermeccanica used to offer their 356 replicas with VW/Audi 1.8 Turbos.

http://intermeccanica.com/athird.net/

Might be worth contacting them for some insight.
thesatanicmechanic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you been in contact with Adam & the gang at BFI regarding this swap? I cannot imagine they are even remotely on board. What you are describing is heresy.

No, the 1.8T in any iteration will not bolt up.

Engine management pales in comparison to water cooling & intercooling as far as application challenges go.

There is no DIY for this. Do it, document it, report back.

Having built Many robust 1.8T based engines during my career, I still barf in my mouth a bit at the thought of this project.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sailor Jerry wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:

The weight isn't actually that much of an issue, they are within 25 lbs or so I believe although the distribution of weight is much different due to being an inline as opposed to flat 4. I have a 2.0 in my beetle and it required modification to the firewall for the coolant line coming off the side of the head. You will also need an adapter and a special flywheel/clutch along with creating a cooling system. I wouldn't recommend trying this project on a 911 chassis, maybe see if you can get it to work on a ghia or beetle first. Its not a simple swap.

That is actually well put and right along the lines of what I was getting at. Most WC engines and the transmissions anx adapters are a more "centralized"....and usually taller lump.

It creates enertia issues. Its not that the suspension needs fo be heavier duty....but it needs to be retuned. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: