Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1600 VW engine in a pre-A?
Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
catahoula lou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:13 am    Post subject: 1600 VW engine in a pre-A? Reply with quote

In the event I find/buy my Dad's pre-A 356 and it turns out to have a numbers-correct engine in it, can I put a 1600 VW in it to preserve the OG engine?

My neighbor did the same with his 356C, so I'm assuming same can be done with a pre-A...

Best,

Thom
1 1958 pantina red Lowlight Ghia (the "Chili Pepper")

Still looking for:
(1) My Dad's 1955 356 (he raced it amateur-class at Riverside and other courses during 1950s),
(2) My parent's black 1955 hardtop bug (CA license plate FWC 201 or FWG 201), and
(3) My parent's agave green 1957 ragtop bug (CA license plate LFK 734).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dsrtfox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you can.
catahoula lou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I suspected so, but wanted confirmation before I crossed that bridge, assuming I get there...

Best,

Thom

Still looking for:
(1) My Dad's 1955 356 (he raced it amateur-class at Riverside and other courses during 1950s),
(2) My parent's black 1955 hardtop bug (CA license plate FWC 201 or FWG 201), and
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tobiasax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not build a clone using a 30/36 hp engine case (same look as pre-A.)

If you use the Bengt Holrnén made manifolds you can put 32 PBICs on single port VW heads (the carbs will sit at approximate the same height as on the preA). Add a cast iron centrifugal distributor and an old oil filter canister and it will look pretty much stock.

A 1600 will look horrible in a preA and as it is wider and longer than stock the fitting won't be easy.
MMW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who would you be preserving it for? The next guy? Why not enjoy it while you have it. If it is for investment purposes then why would you even drive it & risk an accident?

I don't understand where all the fun went with these cars. As prices climb more & more people are hiding them away so the next guy can have a museum pc.

If money or time was an issue & there is no engine at all then yes I would put a type 1 engine in it to drive it.
Update - third pc. found!
Now just need the case halves.
1965 fenderless beetle
catahoula lou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tobiasax:

Thanks for the useful recommendations. Will ask my neighbor, who owns a '64 356C about your ideas.

MMW:

Considering that we're talking about an expensive purchase, especially if it's the original engine, yes, I would like to preserve it for the next guy to recoup my purchase, being a '55 engine. A rod can come loose and break a hole through the case, making it non-rebuildable, which has happened to me. Not such a concern with a used 1600 VW engine (hey, I own 2 VWs, so I can say that). As far as driving it, I would enjoy it on the mountain roads where I live, but being a family "heirloom" I would no way push it through the turns as hard as I do my '59 lowlight, which is not a family "heirloom".

However, if it was a later 356 and not pre-owned/amateur-raced by my Dad, it would not have the same sentimental value...

Best,

Thom

Still looking for:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: