Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

71 Super won't idle
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fountaiw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:50 am    Post subject: 71 Super won't idle Reply with quote

I have a relatively new to me 71 Super Vert that has started to have a serious idle issue. To provide some background...

Shortly after I bought it a few months ago it would stall whenever you let off the gas whether parked or driving down the road. I determined that the connector on the idle fuel cut off solenoid was loose. I snugged up the connection and it's been fine since.

This past weekend, we drove it ~30 miles and it drove fine. Stopped and filled the gas tank. Immediately upon restarting it wouldn't idle. Managed to drive it to a restaurant a couple of blocks away and it stalled 5-6 times (basically whenever I let off the gas). It sat for a couple hours, restarted it and drove 30 miles home with no issues. Got home and shut it off and immediately restarted it and it wouldn't idle. Since then, I've done some short trips around town as well as just starting and stopping it in the garage. Sometimes it works fine other times it stalls whenever you let off the throttle.

I thought it was the idle cut off going bad and removed the wire and touched it to the terminal with the ignition on about 50 times and got a very faint click every time so it seems to be ok. Where do I go from here? Thanks
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pull off the solenoid, then using a wire with alligator clips on both ends ground the solenoid to bare metal, by clipping one end to the threaded section of the solenoid and the other end to any bare metal. Then touch the power wire to the connection to make sure that the plunger moves. If your model has the built in idle jet, then clean it out with it apart.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
fountaiw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try your suggestions tonight. Regarding the built in idle jet, how do I determine if it has one? What is the procedure for cleaning it? Thanks
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the solenoids are just a plunger,

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

and some of them will have a brass jet on the end (but not broken like this one).

Spray some carb cleaner through the jet, then follow with compressed air. If your solenoid is the plunger style, then elsewhere on the carb, you will have an idle jet.

Pull it out and clean it as well. If the car runs fine for a little while after doing this, then runs bad again. You probably need a new fuel filter, and you may have to clean the whole carb. You may have crud floating around.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
fountaiw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never could get the solenoid to fail when testing it but went ahead and replaced it. No problems for about 1.5 weeks now. Don't get it but happy that it's fixed.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might want to still remove the idle jet (brass gizmo right side of carb) and clean it out using Gum Out spray and some compressed air. It onlytakes spec of crud to clog it up.

Then you will know how to do it in your driveway as opposed in the middle of nowhere.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: