Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oil Bath Air Cleaner Service: Cleaning the Filter Element?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bruce Berman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:00 pm    Post subject: Oil Bath Air Cleaner Service: Cleaning the Filter Element? Reply with quote

In the 37+ years that I have owned my car, I have never cleaned the element within the oil bath air cleaner. I have changed the oil in the air cleaner reservoir regularly, but that is it. I am not sure if the previous original owner ever had the element cleaned either.

With a little over 13,000 miles on the car, it is questionable as to how dirty the filter element really is, and the car has never been driven for long periods in a dusty environment.

The factory recommends periodically cleaning the element in gasoline or some other suitable solvent. I will do this, but typically how long does the filter element have to remain immersed in the gasoline to properly clean out the accumulated dirt? And is it necessary to blow the gas out of the element with compressed air to dry it out, or can I just leave it on some newspaper for an hour or so, and let the gas evaporate?

Thanks for the help and recommendations!

Bruce
Factory original 1957 Type 1 Deluxe Sedan, with 13,000 miles. I purchased her from the estate of the original owner in 1978. Color: L324 Polar Silver, with light beige leatherette interior, dealer-installed Dehne fuel gauge and Motorola Volumatic radio.
69judson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently cleaned the element on my 70. I just let it sit in one of those large aluminum pans you can get at the grocery store. The cheap one for basting a turkey in. I let it sit for several hours in gasoline and brushed at it with an old paintbrush. Then let it air dry for another couple of hours and final blast with compressed air. After sitting in the gasoline quite a bit of old sludge at dirt washed out. While doing all this I took the time to clean and detail the metal canister.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bruce Berman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

69judson wrote:
I recently cleaned the element on my 70. I just let it sit in one of those large aluminum pans you can get at the grocery store. The cheap one for basting a turkey in. I let it sit for several hours in gasoline and brushed at it with an old paintbrush. Then let it air dry for another couple of hours and final blast with compressed air. After sitting in the gasoline quite a bit of old sludge at dirt washed out. While doing all this I took the time to clean and detail the metal canister.

Great information, and thanks very much for sharing it with me! Fortunately, my wife has on hand the perfect-sized disposable aluminum pan for this purpose. But I've got to dispose of the gasoline properly; unlike drain oil, the service stations in New York State are not required to take gas. The Town takes gas, but that is a bit of a drive from here............
Factory original 1957 Type 1 Deluxe Sedan, with 13,000 miles. I purchased her from the estate of the original owner in 1978. Color: L324 Polar Silver, with light beige leatherette interior, dealer-installed Dehne fuel gauge and Motorola Volumatic radio.
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use solvent to clean them then re-use it to clean other greasy parts. strain the old gas and burn it in your lawn mower along with fresh gas
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bruce Berman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

60ragtop wrote:
I use solvent to clean them then re-use it to clean other greasy parts. strain the old gas and burn it in your lawn mower along with fresh gas

Thanks for your input as well!

I think the reason I never cleaned the oil bath filter element in my 1957 VW, is because the factory service manual for my 1967 VW states to never clean the filter element in fuel or any other solvent.

The manual for my 1957 clearly states to clean the element in fuel, etc.

Did something change in the material or construction of these oil bath filter elements after the 36 HP engine, that would result in damage to the element if it were to be cleaned in gasoline or some other type of solvent?

Anyone have any good info on this??? The factory usually knows what is best for these cars, and I certainly don't want to damage the air filter element by cleaning it in gasoline. VW's information as it relates to the 1957 and 1967 cars in this regard just seems contradictory to me, that's all.

Thanks,

Bruce
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

been using solvent on them since I started working on them on the 70's professionally. Have cleaned way to many to count and never saw any damage from using solvent.
probably like the oil debate Wink
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mineral spirits works fine.

Using Gasoline as a cleaning solvent is extremely dangerous as its vapors are extremely flammable and heavier than air so they will fall toward the ground and spread and easily ignite if any source of ignition is there like a pilot light on the water heater, cigarette butt or metal object dropped on the floor. It also contains benzene which is a known carcinogen.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
OLDveedubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I restored a couple and found that heavy duty degreaser (some people use TSP) and hot water in a 5gal bucket work well.

I basically make a soapy solution and then dip and drain the filter numerous times.

You'll find some nasty water comes out first and then it slowly gets clearer and clearer.

Finally, a hot water bath to remove all the suds.

To treat it before placing it on the car get some Kerosene and let it soak into the coconut fibers.

Here's a link to some guidance.
"Perfection through inspection."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use diesel, cleans just as good and less harmful to filter
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the air cleaner has been ignored and not refilled with new clean oil as per the maintenance schedule you can find in the Owners Manual then you might need to soak the filter element clean.
Otherwise if the air cleaner has been regularly maintained, it is not needed to soak in degreaser to clean.
Would be a bit like washing sparkling clean your pet hog every day and then each time just letting him right back into the pasture with mud wallows in it....

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Bruce Berman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone who replied with all of their great input and suggestions!

I think I will clean the element in clear kerosene, as I think that will be the most effective and safest method, while at the same time not harming the now 58+ year old paint on the filter element housing.

As I see it, immersing the air filter element in kerosene for a few hours should not create any problems or issues.

Bruce
Bruce Berman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I cleaned the air filter element in kerosene yesterday. No dirt or other contamination came out while soaking in the solvent; in fact, the element was pretty much immaculate.

As such, it was obvious that the previous owner did have the air cleaner properly serviced during his ownership of the car.

Thanks once again to everyone for all of their great input!

Bruce
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much for updating us all!! Very Happy
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

splitjunkie wrote:
Mineral spirits works fine.

Using Gasoline as a cleaning solvent is extremely dangerous as its vapors are extremely flammable and heavier than air so they will fall toward the ground and spread and easily ignite if any source of ignition is there like a pilot light on the water heater, cigarette butt or metal object dropped on the floor. It also contains benzene which is a known carcinogen.

Factory says fuel is OK;
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/56beetle/26.jpg
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: