Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is this rubber seal on oil pick-up tube from add-on sump?
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greg74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:48 pm    Post subject: Is this rubber seal on oil pick-up tube from add-on sump? Reply with quote

Today I removed an old Claude's Buggies bolt-on extra sump from my 1974 Thing to get it back to stock. I noticed a black rubber grommet/seal around the pick-up tube. The stock oil filter screen flange (and gasket) won't push up flush against the bottom of the sump. The grommet seems to be in the way. Is this because the rubber grommet is from the add-on CB sump kit (to hold a mini oil filter that came with it in place)? Or is that grommet part of the stock oil pick-up tube assembly?

One other problem is that I made the mistake of trying to remove the last of the six studs before noticing it attaches the oil pick-up tube assembly to the inside of the sump. I ended up ruining the threads on the stud. It seems to have the head of a bolt when I look inside the sump. Is this particular stud meant to be removed- or will I need to get the tap/die set out to cut new threads?

[img]
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remove that rubber washer/grommet to revert to the stock oil screen.

The remaining stud in your photo is longer than the rest of the other sump plate studs. In your photo, you can see the M6 nut which secures the oil pickup (inside the case).

If the threads on that longer stud are still OK, leave it alone. If the threads are stripped, you will need to replace the stud with one of the same length. It takes a little finesse to remove the nut before you remove the stud. It's difficult, but not impossible. You might need to customize (bend) an M10 wrench to accomplish this. Have a small flexible magnet tool handy, and work patiently and carefully.

There are repair studs available if you find it necessary to re-thread the remaining 5 holes in the case. They are usually M8 X M6, so you will need an matching tap to re-thread the case. You can get the tap and maybe the repair studs at a good hardware store:

http://www.germansupply.com/home/image.php?productid=17275

Get the gasket surface, and your re-threaded holes hospital clean, and use Loctite (I like Loctite 620) on the threads to keep the repair studs in place.

If you intend to use the stock stamped steel sump plate, make sure its sealing surface is flat. Often, the sealing surface has been dimpled or distorted from over tightening the sump plate nuts. You can carefully flatten it with a hammer, or buy one of those aftermarket aluminum sump plates.

For gaskets, I prefer the Fel-Pro OS 21625 Kit:

http://www.amazon.com/Fel-Pro-OS21625-Oil-Pan-Gasket/dp/B000C2EE3K

Over tightening the sump plate nuts is the cause of these sort of problems.
If you do this right, you won't need to over tighten the sump plate nuts for a leak free job.

Good luck, Mondshine
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Greg74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Mondshine. Your posts are always informative and encouraging!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: