Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Advantages of Polishing vs. Chrome plating Fuchs
Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
man130
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:26 am    Post subject: Advantages of Polishing vs. Chrome plating Fuchs Reply with quote

I'm trying to figure which route to go ,both seem to around same price . I figure with polishing I could always get them a quick "tune up" if they dull or something. But damn...those chrome ones look great . anybody have any idea which would hold up better .There going to be on a summer driver only.
WVbugman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: advantages of Polishing vs. chrome plating fuchs Reply with quote

I personally prefer the look of depth in the reflection of highly polished aluminum wheels. Once the best polishing is done all you have to do is maintain them. Having said that I would own chrome wheels because polishing aluminum gets monotanous. Chrome needs wax or it can rust. To each their own. Neither is the wrong choice. Do whats best for you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
docdanracy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrome...looks great, needs periodic waxing to inhibit rust, can crack or flake, if you curb the wheel it is toast as far as finish.

Polished, looks almost as shiny as chrome when done right, needs periodic maintenance to inhibit corrosion, if you curb it a little light sand papers and some metal polish and you are back in business.

My vote would be for Polished! Very Happy
docdanracy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:17 pm    Post subject: Fuchs Polished Reply with quote

here are some wheels....one set I hand polished myself. Petals and rim only, left the recessed areas as stock.
The other set I had a full polish done at a wheel refinisher.

Both of the 914s were cars I owned and fully restored, including body/paint, interior, suspension and motors...
Orange car was a '74 with 2056 type4 full track suspension etc
White car was a '75 2.0L with mild competition suspension etc
These were the real deal 4 bolt Fuchs, no aftermarket stuff. Wink
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

scottvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

docdanracy wrote:
Chrome...looks great, needs periodic waxing to inhibit rust, can crack or flake, if you curb the wheel it is toast as far as finish.

Polished, looks almost as shiny as chrome when done right, needs periodic maintenance to inhibit corrosion, if you curb it a little light sand papers and some metal polish and you are back in business.

My vote would be for Polished! Very Happy

X2.....
man130
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I guess I just gotta pick which one I like. It seems one way is not BETTER then the other , just personal preference on looks .Just wanted to check ,some people said they wouldnt advise chrome plating but never said why so I was curious Thanks again
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

docdanracy wrote:
Chrome...., needs periodic waxing to inhibit rust,

Only if the wheel under the chrome is steel. Aluminum does not "rust".

There are a lot of car guys who view a chromed wheel as destroyed. Even if you strip the chrome off, most won't touch them, so consider that on their future value.

Go to Google and paste in "hydrogen embrittlement" to see why chroming aluminum isn't such a great idea.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
john7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do yourself a favor and get them polished.

the cons of chroming them
the chrome will eventually rust, or blister
if you accidentally curb one you have to get the wheel rechromed (polished you can buff it out)
chrome can peel
if you try to sell them they will be worth less if they are chromes

Slot Mag King!
I accept Paypal, CASH, GOLD, SILVER, COINS, GUNS & money orders.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
man130
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, think Im going polished they look almost as good I think, and I can keep them lookin good forever, with a little tune up every once and a while .
john7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can also have them clear coated after polishing and they will stay looking new

Slot Mag King!
PASHN8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

john7 wrote:
you can also have them clear coated after polishing and they will stay looking new

In this scenario, if you've just bought a set of brand new polished wheels, should you clear coat them straight away before even using them?

1957 11-Window Split Bus
1954 3-fold Sunroof Oval Beetle

*** Looking for '56 Porsche T1 356A 1300 engine no. 22373 ***
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Classifieds Feedback
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

man130 wrote:
Yeah, think Im going polished they look almost as good I think, and I can keep them lookin good forever, with a little tune up every once and a while .

more than once and a while. I would say wash and wax once a week. otherwise break dust will attack the surface and ruin the polish. if the break dust builds up much it will take some scrubbing to remove it and the scrubbing will dull the polish if your not careful.

that said I do prefer polished myself. for me chrome is a bit too shiny and I like the look of aluminum that's been rubbed a lot, meaning polished but slightly dulled by repeated cleaning.
john7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PASHN8 wrote:
john7 wrote:

In this scenario, if you've just bought a set of brand new polished wheels, should you clear coat them straight away before even using them?

yea id say that would be the best time to do it.

Slot Mag King!
PASHN8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thanks Smile

So in theory, clear coat would remove the need for weekly waxing/polishing as the clear seals the shine and is resistant to brake dust etc?

Any drawbacks long term?

1957 11-Window Split Bus

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Classifieds Feedback
Fab4Fan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

getting them clear coated will take away some of the natural shine and make it more hazy. It maintains that same appearance without dulling as a bare polished wheel. I dont know about the brake dust, but I would imagine youd have to be more careful about removing caked on dust because the clear can get light scrathes and make the wheel more hazy. Also some crappier jobs start to chip off or get spider web cracking which requires the entire wheel to be stripped and redone.
I would just leave them baremetal and use green rogue polishes and sealer waxes. Or chrome.
PASHN8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a revisit to this thread, i'm thinking a clear powdercoat would be a good option, tough and easy to maintain.

Regular hand polishing of my Fuchs is not an option, finding the time to wash the car itself is a luxury these days!

1957 11-Window Split Bus

Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrome look doesn't look better or original! I just wash my wheels/car occasionally. Cool

two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: