Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Monster Vanagon from the Trash
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AdventuringArt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:23 pm    Post subject: The Monster Vanagon from the Trash Reply with quote

This is a short (less than 10min) film about "Goldy" who needs a better name. She is The Monster Vanagon! This is a late model 85. I found her on a mountain after a large predator had been using her as a nest. The previous owners had wrecked her and smashed in the entire front end. The late model 85 is the 86+ body with round headlights a tachometer and a 1.9 with steal tubing and the highest sitting stock vanagon. Her interior was perfect and she needed to be saved. With the help of people I love, and some hard working, awesome people willing to share their space for the sake of art, we fixed her.

The new front end was cut from an air cooled Vanagon, and needed a vent hole, so she got teeth. Parts were donated all over the bus in return for art as well as help cutting and welding. The bus was traded for art in the beginning of her life and she is now "Created by art" We also get her a second engine. (seeking clean "extra" transmission to match) Changed shocks, tuned her up and got her totally ready for the road.

I live in a Vanagon full time and have been on the road with my art for almost 6 years. I since assumed the title of "The Cat Man" and we just built his ride. Thank you to everyone involved, Rocky Mountain Bus Werks, Andrew, The Swamp, Ian, DasWagen, Steve, and the many others I shared space with and who helped with the shooting of this short film. I am currently creating my own music for these films but they are currently accompanied by "Cat Man Radio" a show I do late nights at an unknown location in the 51st state of the union. Viva Revolution. http://www.adventuringart.com

Link
[url][/url]
newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the vid and sharing the journey.
DAV!D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you had fun with it and that's what it's all about. If you are still in the Denver area let me know, maybe we can hook up sometime. I'll be here most of the summer.

Also, head over to http://reddit.com/r/vandwellers there are lots of us full time guys over there.
Forthwithtx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the shots of you...like I'm looking in a mirror. Seriously.
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great vid - thank you. Smile
AdventuringArt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:01 am    Post subject: thanks!! Reply with quote

Thanks guys! This was shot over a period of 5 months from Oregon, to the great Colorado Adventure, and back to Oregon. Jan-May 2015 This was my big investment for the winter and my "larger" art project so please pass it along if you are entertained! I am planning much bigger and crazier adventures right around the corner.
yiucycle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can i ask how you create the new headlight/grill assembly? nice job on the van. Now i want some teeth for my can too. Very Happy

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AdventuringArt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:02 am    Post subject: the grill Reply with quote

Haha yeah! I cut into two grills to make the inside laying one behind the teeth and the main grill. I had to cut it to shape with a dremel and decided to use a grill designed for square headlights allowing the extra room for the inside LEDs. I just cut into the plastic to make the large openings for the main headlights and then attached thick black leather flaps to go behind everything and fit the lights! Thanks!! The LEDs are just cheap aftermarkets from an auto parts store and there is a switch on my dash to turn them on and off (that came with them and fits perfectly into the empty slot on my console. Smile

I am still seeking a slightly larger VW symbol (maybe from a new junked vw suv. I was the vw to be as tall as the grill itself. The peace symbol came with the donor grill.
sub-hatchtim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your'e friend's with Ian, all hope is lost

j/k
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: