Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brake lights stay on
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:51 pm    Post subject: Brake lights stay on Reply with quote

This is driving me crazy. Noticed last night, while outside of the CA at, engine off, keys out, that the brake lights are on. I replaced one of the brake light switch just two days ago (it was leaking). I installed another replacement today, thinking it must be a dodgy switch, but the lights remain on.

I just dismantled the ground cluster behind the fuse relay panel, and cleaned all the grounds. I have replaced all of the fuses, and cleaned the fuse terminals.

Does anyone have any ideas?

EDIT: 1982 VANAGON TYPE IV
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake lights stay on Reply with quote

I would unplug the harness from each of the switches and see if the brake lights turn off.

Mark

Tars wrote:
Does anyone have any ideas?
EDIT: 1982 VANAGON TYPE IV
OLD VW NUT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you bleed the brake system after replacing the switches? You might have air in the system. As it warms air expands and can cause minimal drag on the brakes or lock them up in severe cases.

The master cylinder piston may not be returning to its resting spot which would leave a slight bit of pressure in the lines. If those new switches are more sensitive than the old ones that slight pressure might be just enough to allow them to complete the circuit and the brake lights come on and stay on. Try releasing one of the bleeder valves and see if they come off. You'll need to relieve both sides since you have a dual master cylinder. Front right and back left are on one circuit and front left back right are connected on the other side. If that does the trick you need to figure out whether it is air in the lines or as I noted above - the master's piston isn't returning to its normal resting position where the return port is able to relieve the internal pressure. If you haven't removed the master then air is the most likely suspect. It only takes a small bubble to screw things up!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Other car - 2013 VW Golf TDI
goffoz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LED's or regular bulbs?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: