Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Chassis swap
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:54 am    Post subject: Chassis swap Reply with quote

Hi.
I have a 53 oval that has no chassis.
Does anyone knows which floor pan (other than an oval one) is a straight bolt on?
Thanks!!!!
Very Happy
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe any 66 (maybe 67) and earlier will be a direct bolt on. 68? 69 and later will for sure require the rear body mounts to be raised.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only the body mounts would need to be adapted? What about the length between the front and rear mounts? Are they the same?
Thanks!
sconord
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rear body mount will have to be raised if using a 58+ pan. Other than that it is a bolt on.
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sconord wrote:
Rear body mount will have to be raised if using a 58+ pan. Other than that it is a bolt on.

... not sure what they mean by the rear body bolts... I have put split and ovals onto 1963, 1965, 1972 pans with no problem. If some bolts did not line up. left the off... both had enough bolts to keep them together. The white split was married to the 1972 pan from 1977 to 2012...

1950 body on a 1972 pan...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

... currently my 1955 body is on a 1965 pan.

11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZENVWDRIVER wrote:
sconord wrote:

... not sure what they mean by the rear body bolts... I have put split and ovals onto 1963, 1965, 1972 pans with no problem. If some bolts did not line up. left the off... both had enough bolts to keep them together. The white split was married to the 1972 pan from 1977 to 2012...

The rear body mounts had to be raised or the body would of had a gap.
txoval wrote:
I believe any 66 (maybe 67) and earlier will be a direct bolt on. 68? 69 and later will for sure require the rear body mounts to be raised.

txoval is correct, the rear body mount has to be moved up if putting a 67 and earlier body on a 68 and later pan.
pic from the gallery 63 on irs pan
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... ah ha... eliminated that mount on the split-to-'72-pan and was okay for 25 years... good picture.
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a pretty important mount...I did the same mod when I installed a 64 Body on a 69 pan. Still pissed I sold that car

I did not realize that mount need to moved for 58 and up though.
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

txoval wrote:
That's a pretty important mount...I did the same mod when I installed a 64 Body on a 69 pan. Still pissed I sold that car

Who ever indicated 58 and up needs the mount moved was incorrect, I believe the mount only is an issue when swapping to an iRS pan. 68 and earlier uses the same mount location I'm pretty sure, it definitely didn't change in 58
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ultramoron wrote:
txoval wrote:

Who ever indicated 58 and up needs the mount moved was incorrect, I believe the mount only is an issue when swapping to an iRS pan. 68 and earlier uses the same mount location I'm pretty sure, it definitely didn't change in 58

This is correct. 68 and later pans require the rear mount to be modifed. '67 and earlier will be a bolt on swap.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
Jonnyla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, so I have my '55 body sitting on a 66 pan. From my observation and measurements here is what I see. Body is sitting firmly (no rubber bushings yet) on front mounts at beam and rear mounts at shock supports. There is about a 3/8" gap between the body ant the pan at the rear just above the shift couple inspection hole (viewed at the interior of the car). So, if one plans to add the 1/2" thick square rubber bushings at the rear shock support mount I would agree that the body mount, pictured above by 56cabrio, would need to be moved up an inch so that the body sits flush on the pan all the way around.
Just my detailed observation.
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonnyla wrote:
Interesting, so I have my '55 body sitting on a 66 pan. From my observation and measurements here is what I see. Body is sitting firmly (no rubber bushings yet) on front mounts at beam and rear mounts at shock supports. There is about a 3/8" gap between the body ant the pan at the rear just above the shift couple inspection hole (viewed at the interior of the car). So, if one plans to add the 1/2" thick square rubber bushings at the rear shock support mount I would agree that the body mount, pictured above by 56cabrio, would need to be moved up an inch so that the body sits flush on the pan all the way around.

Did you put in a new pan gasket ?
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113701605
Jonnyla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

56Cabrio wrote:
Jonnyla wrote:

Did you put in a new pan gasket ?
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113701605

No pan gasket, yet but I assume that after tightening all the bolts that will only be about an 1/8" thick.
I am building a new garage, so as soon as I get the body and pan in there I'll try to remember to document the process and results so we all have something we can all look at and figure out a possible conclusion to this question that comes up now and then.
EphrataOval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 57 has had a 62 pan under it and currently has a 69 pan. The 62 pan was a direct fit. The 69 pan fits with the exception of the already mentioned rear suspension bracket and the two bolts behind the spare tire well....they fix but aren't centered correctly....well, I'll have to look at that again as I did that swap 25 years ago.
luvthemvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The torsion tubes of a balljoint beam (1966-up) are farther apart than a linkpin beam. Therefore, the front of the body will sit high unless you leave out the rubber insulater blocks...and then it just squeaks when you drive.
Does the body need a new apron?
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luvthemvws wrote:
The torsion tubes of a balljoint beam (1966-up) are farther apart than a linkpin beam. Therefore, the front of the body will sit high unless you leave out the rubber insulater blocks...and then it just squeaks when you drive.
Does the body need a new apron?

This is incorrect. If you did a body swap and ran into this then your car had been in an accident and we bent in the front.

The only place where the dimensions are different between a swing axle and IRS pan are the rear mounts above the shocks. Everything else is exactly the same where the body mounts to the pan including the front beam. Also as has been mentioned the older cars had two bolts under the seat and later had one but all other dimensions are the same.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
nz fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Chassis swap Reply with quote

Sl wrote:
Hi.
I have a 53 oval that has no chassis.
Does anyone knows which floor pan (other than an oval one) is a straight bolt on?
Thanks!!!!
Very Happy
hi i bought an oval beetle then found out it was on a 62 pan all bolted up ok .....hope that helps
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: