Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1971 Porsche 911T Not Charging
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
camnickant
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:42 am    Post subject: 1971 Porsche 911T Not Charging Reply with quote

With the car off the battery reads 12.56 volts. The dash indicator light comes on when I start the car, and dims (goes dark, but not completely off) after 2000 rpm. The battery now reads 12.46 volts. Not charging. I have an external voltage regulator part # 911.603.901.00 and a Reman alternator. The ground straps are all new and I cleaned the connections on the alternator along with the bushes and battery connections. Over 2000 rpm the right regulator terminal and dash light read 15.5 volts. Does the 15.5 volts at these points indicate the alternator and regulator are working? If so, why isn't the battery charging? Is there a way to check the voltage regulator and alternator separately to see if its operating properly before I purchase a new one?
old DKP driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:35 pm    Post subject: charging problem Reply with quote

Welcome,
This is not uncommon and actually happens quite a lot with both Bosch &
Motorola charging systems on older 1969-1973 models especially if the
voltage regulator is going bad.

Over charging to 15 volts could be either regulator or a bad diode in the rebuilt unit.

also, how old is the battery ? as it could also be yet another problem but not
the main reason for over charging. corrosion is another item that's common all the way from the engine compartment to the idiot light.

I would pull the alt and take it to a known good rebuilder if everything else checks out.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: