Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

first thing post 74 lower thing
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
veg-head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So this thing rides like ass,, I want to get some suspension, do I , add air shocks, notch the plate, or 're-index, It's on the bumpstops, what's the best way to fix without losing my lowered ride hight. Cool
veg-head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:59 am    Post subject: too low Reply with quote

Double post? Best way to fix
veg-head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about the double posts not sure why my phone does that. So ANYBODY a little help, I not so sure what should I do? In the back, Air shocks, 're-index or notch the plate. INPUT AND help please.
63ziggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you looked in to lowering plates?

Atomwerks manufacturers lowering/raising plates that allow the suspension to work as factory but relocates the axle height.

they will keep you from notching or riding on bump stops etc.

he offers different drop heights.

fair warning before someone flames me:

I have raised plates and pleased with them. others have differing thoughts on Charles/product delivery. Not weighing on that topic. just sharing possible solution. I believe plates are in stock at least beetle. You may need to call and see if Thing plates are ready for delivery.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
veg-head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Atomwerx kit looks good, $398 comes with the plates,shocks, tool and bolts. Anyone have any experience with this kit or some good how to links, and should I get the 2" or 3" drop plates, what do you think will match up best with the bug front beam on the thing? Or are there better options to try first?
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No experience with Atomwerks...
But, I'd suggest you get front and rear ground clearance from a fresh restored Stock configuration Thing(I'm sure someone would off that info), and then figure out where your sits now in relation. Then you'll n
Know what size drop to get! Also, you'll have an idea of how far down you are for future reference!
That's my £.02...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8080337#8080337
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
ernieballbass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veg-head wrote:
Atomwerx kit looks good, $398 comes with the plates,shocks, tool and bolts. Anyone have any experience with this kit or some good how to links, and should I get the 2" or 3" drop plates, what do you think will match up best with the bug front beam on the thing? Or are there better options to try first?

i actually just bought/installed those drop plates on my thing (well...the pan anyways). i went for the 2in drop. but if i was going to drop it super low like yours, then i would have done the 3in drop.

i just bought the plates (no kit), reused old bolts, and made my own tool out of threaded rod. i did have to cut the trailing arm a little. other than that, it was pretty easy.

atomwerks is good people.
veg-head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: first thing post 74 lower thing Reply with quote

Still got this thing, been sitting 5 years. Shocked
So l Just recently picked up a new/reworked stock ball joint beam.
I knew I'd never get that low stance worked out. And honestly my taste changed for the look of a stock or slightly lifted thing intereste me more. So that's what I'm going for on ride hight, stock.
Now l have the front beam and some motivation I'm gonna try and get this THING on the road. Cool
Pointers input welcome. Happy thinging.

Metro Detroit, Michigan
BJT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: first thing post 74 lower thing Reply with quote

Good luck! I replaced the Beetle beam that was in my Thing when I bought it with a stock Thing beam, looks much better. Wasn’t a very complicated process either, getting the springs into the beam and figuring out the correct was to mount the steering box were the hardest two things I ran into.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: