Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New here. id help, and brake question.
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kingdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 4:59 pm    Post subject: New here. id help, and brake question. Reply with quote

Hello all, I recently did some trading and ended up with a 1979 vw bug rail buggy. It is registered and he drove it on the road, and listed it as street legal. It has headlights, brake lights, turn signals, harnesses, etc. But I plan to do more to it before I get it out on the road. I want mirrors and a windshield for starters. I was hoping that someone would recognize this frame and could help me with id-in this buggy.
Also, the rail did not have front brake lines run and was frankly terrifying to drive since it didn't really like stopping. My neighbor and I worked on it today and got the front lines run and all 4 wheels got brake adjustments. It is stopping sooo much better now! But the front right (passenger) tire locks up under hard braking and none of the other wheels do that. The line for that wheel is coming out of the top of the single circuit master cylinder, and this is is where the rear wheel line SHOULD be coming out of. Would having the lines hooked up to the wrong outlets on the master cylinder be causing that one wheel to lock up? I can re-route these 2 lines to the correct outlets if needed, I just hate bleeding brake lines and didn't want to do it if I didn't have to. But if having the lines run from the wrong outlets is my problem, I'll take care of it.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adjustment might be the issue for the right front locking up. Could also be brake adjustment, or a warped drum.

My concern is the apparent lack of shoulder harnesses. There should be another cross bar near level with the top of the gas tank for the shoulder belts to mount to.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The frame looks like an early Berrien built from a kit.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kingdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback, and good eye on the harnesses. I put the shoulder harnesses back on last night as well as the seat covers. The guy I got it from had those off, but he gave them to me.
I guess I will get that wheel off and check out the drum. Do you think it doesn't matter which outlet it used for which brake line on the single circuit master cylinder?
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pull the drums back off & check your brake adjusters. The groove inside them is a wedge shape. The thicker part should be pointed towards the drum contact surface. If it is the other way around it can cause the shoes to bind. Also make sure all brake hoses are new, they can collapse internally (the inner liner swells up & blocks flow) so that all the wheels don't get equal pressure. Another thing you may want to consider is to get a dual circuit master cylinder back on there with a proportioning valve to the front brakes. The dual circuit system gives you two brake systems so you can stop should one of them fails. Since your car is much lighter than originally designed, the front end will have more tendency to lock up (especially in wet/slick conditions), adding the proportioning valve will allow you to fine tune the bias between front & rear. Also, before putting too much time & $ into the front drum system, disk brake conversions are about the same price as replacing all the drum brake parts & work much better .
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a rail this light disk brakes are not needed..... As other have said problem may be flex brake line or adjustment or assembly problem at the wheel......

While connections to master cylinder are all served by same internal port on a single piston master cylinder it should not matter to what port lines are connected, conversion to a dual piston master cylinder is not a bad idea....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm...
TCTDI is right about the adjustment being an issue, but...
Quote:
& check your brake adjusters. The groove inside them is a wedge shape. The thicker part should be pointed towards the drum contact surface. If it is the other way around it can cause the shoes to bind.

I'm not sure what sort of brakes TCTDI is referring to, but VW Bug drum brakes have adjusters which consist of an anchor block welded to the backing plate, and a pair of screws with nuts with adjuster nubs around the edges like a gear. These adjuster nuts fit into the holes on either side of the anchor block. The adjuster screws have slots in the head which fit onto the bottom edge of the brake shoes. By turning the nuts, the shoes are pushed out at the bottom on the rear and the front of the front brakes. The shoes need to be adjusted so the shoes push out against the drums until you cannot turn the drum by hand, then back the adjuster off until the shoes barely drag on the drum.
SoCalBajas Member
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Dusty, I ran into the same problem with a customers car & after inspecting everything I discovered that the part of the adjuster that the brake shoe rides in is beveled. When it is positioned incorrectly, the shoes bind on it instead of pivoting in it as the wheel cylinder pushes the shoe outward. It's hard to see in the pictures but if you know what to look for you'll see that they're a wedge shape in the groove.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's actually more of a radius that matches the arc of the part of the brake shoe that rides in the grove. This radius helps the shoe pivot & center in the drum as the two surfaces wear. When I adjust the breaks, I set them to where there's a bit of friction, then pump the brakes & readjust as necessary.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. You're right. Now I understand what you were trying to say. And it does cause trouble if any part is assembled wrong.
SoCalBajas Member
Kingdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for all the advice guys. I'll get that side taken apart this weekend and see whats going on. if I run across any problems I will get pics and may post here. you guys are a fount of information. I appreciate it!
Kingdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:20 pm    Post subject: Updates Reply with quote

Well, I haven't posted anything about the rail lately, so I thought I'd update with some of the progress and changes I've made to the buggy.
I have it on the road now, the brakes are great, I added a removable lexan windshield, installed,mirrors, painted it black, replaced the link and kingpins to fix a serious death wobble and also replaced the wheels as one of the fronts was so out of round it was adding to the wobble, made a new center console added an ammo can for tools, added a front bumper, put in a push button start, and I'm sure there are other changes that I have forgotten. I am now completely hooked to the world of air cooled vdubs and especially to rails! These things are more fun than any other vehicle I've ever driven, on road or off.
I am having an issue with the passenger side rear wheel angle, but I think that will be another thread.
Here are some pics of the changes...

Kingdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd really love any info about those rear wheels also. Does anyone know what they are called? They are e-t unilugs that I got from my neighbor. I have searched and searched the interwebs and so far I have found one picture from another forum and the guys didn't actually say what the name of the rims are. Any body have any info for me?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: