Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear wheel is tilted in, what causes this?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guardian1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good catch with the missing cotter pins TDCTDI (Actually missing on both sides) I will pick a few up the next time I am in town.

I managed to get the torsion bar set evenly on both sides, I set them at 23 degrees.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The good news is the job went smooth and I did get rid of the "squeak" caused by the lack of grease on the bushings, the bad news is, the wheel is still tilted. Mad

So before I commit to a bent trailing arm (Expensive buggers) could anything in here cause the "tilting"? I really don't see anything else it could be.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks,
Kevin
Guardian1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as a side note, after indexing the torsion and adjusting the bar it rides SOOOOOOO much better! I also aligned the back and front wheels, wow what a difference. I cant wait to see how it rides with new gas shocks.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I think it's time to hit up your fellow Michigan buggy folks to see if anybody has a line on a right trailing arm for your buggy.

Hit the classifieds for "Offroad Parts" and VW Bug 1968- later to see if you can find any that way.

A pair of boxed reinforced arms wouldn't be a bad thing if you're gonna offroad it, but you might need to fab some new upper mounts as mentioned earlier.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tripicana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That right side inner pivot bolt might not be threaded in all the way, I seem to remember them being almost flush.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that it might not be all the way in. But it doesn't look out far enough to allow the arm to make bad camber like that. Could be?
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: