Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Quitting drinking
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
jjohnson67 wrote:
Thank yall for your kind words.... I've quit other vices... this 1 will be tough. Still a cigarette smoker, maybe be easier to quit without a beer in my hand. It will be the best decision I've made so far.

Tobacco kills far more people than alcohol. Why do you want to quit drinking?

You guys got me to try again to quit smoking. 3 months w/NO tobacco! Cool
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jjohnson67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool Mike. Cold turkey? Chewing gum? I changed positions at work and it slowed my smoking way down. Hard to think about a smoke or drink in 104° weather....
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey jjohnson67, I'm glad you're trying to quit but saying you fell off the wagon is a cop out, the next time you fall off, it might just run you over. If you're serious about quitting then, you CAN NOT have another drink! I came from a family of abusive alcoholics & I got to experience the mental & physical degradation of a lifelong user. I got to give the go ahead for a procedure to stop internal bleeding of the esophagus & stomach when the hospital called because the parent was in an induced coma. The arterial bleeding was caused by excessive blood pressure due to cirrhosis of the liver, the procedure was putting a shunt through the liver, effectively a tube punched through it so blood could bypass it. When they woke up after the surgery, they were so far in denial that they tried to tell me that the hospital was "just doing some tests", at which point I had to tell them just what was done. A year later I got to sign their death warrant by refusing to allow any more procedures & ultimately a DNR order with "comfort measures" which is basically drugging them to death, at least they went in the same altered state in which they chose to stay.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
enjoyther1de wrote:
Think of all the vw parts you can buy with the booze money....

http://www.viralnova.com/scary-anti-drinking-ad/

http://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/find-aa-resources

Extremely poignant video, I learned to distrust & despise my parents at an early age, keep this in mind with your little one jjohnson67.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather than going it alone perhaps this time go to a group and be willing to accept help for others including a sponsor. While you think about that ck out an old movie called " Days of wine and roses" good luck
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjohnson67 wrote:
Very cool Mike. Cold turkey? Chewing gum? I changed positions at work and it slowed my smoking way down. Hard to think about a smoke or drink in 104° weather....

My wife bought me gum & patches, but I finally just smoked the last of it & quit buying tobacco. I still think about it, but have not even bummed a cigarette yet! Shocked
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
jjohnson67 wrote:

My wife bought me gum & patches, but I finally just smoked the last of it & quit buying tobacco. I still think about it, but have not even bummed a cigarette yet! Shocked

Nothing works like seeing the end result,visit the hospital the cancer ward. Better yet watch one of your friends Go down. Phil died alone last fall he was alcoholic and and a smoker. He died alone of aortic aneurism. It's actually not uncommon for men in their 50s with that lifestyle. He was within about five years of retirement, rest in peace Phil, your kids miss you.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alcohol & cigarettes, suicide on the installment plan.

berliner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:44 pm    Post subject: Alcohol Reply with quote

All of us are behind you.I'm coming up to 40 years dry.Don't miss it.All I remember is how horrible I felt after drinking.1976 at age 23 I decided I was in trouble.Went to talk to my doctor;he explained a lot of things to me,gave me some little pills(Non addictive) to carry me though the next little while.I felt so relieved when I left,just knowing I was on the right path,and haven't touched a drop since.Most of the people I had associated with I didn't see any more,booze was all we had in common.I had been dry a year when my first daughter was born,so none of my kids ever saw me have a drink.Although I was not drinking,the causes of my drinking persisted,and after lots of time spent with doctors it was determined that I am bipolar.For that reason alone I think if someone is serious about staying sober,a visit to the doctor is step one,to see if there is an underlying problem that is causing the reliance on alcohol.I'm taking a bunch of psychiatric drugs now,and will for life.This problem runs in my family,so I understand the"Alchoholism runs in the family"statement.There is something genetic affecting all or most family members,and alchoholism is a symptom of the problem.Not for everyone with drinking issues,but I am convinced for a lot more than are aware of it.I never set foot in an AA meeting,didn't need it,but it has worked for people I know.Quit smoking too,ten years later.You CAN do it on your own,but for any addiction,take advantage of anything that might make it easier.See your doctor soon.I love my life and I'm feeling GREAT! The Ghia is coming along nicely,too.
jjohnson67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of doctor should I ask for? My insurance is good. I just don't know how to find out. I've kinda thought about my highs and lows as something else. I want to be healthy for my son. I have been trying to figure out why I was able to go for so long without a drink and to fail, it seems I have more questions than answers.....
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're doing pretty well! It's no small thing to do what you've done without outside help, other than the obvious support and encouragement from everyone on this thread! Very Happy
It's different in the UK, but I wouldn't say you definitely need to see a doctor. I'm sure you would find it helpful to talk things through with someone at an alcohol support service. AA is one, but it doesn't suit everyone, and there will be plenty of others. A family doctor here would be able to prescribe drugs to help with craving, or to talk around whether there were any mental health issues like depression or mood swings. You'll know best, or talk things through with a good friend. (I am a doctor, just not that kind!)
Here are a couple of sites that are quite a good read:

https://www.drinkaware.co.uk/make-a-change/how-to-cut-down/how-to-stop-drinking-alcohol
http://giveupdrinking.co.uk

If you want to read other people's stories for extra encouragement..

http://soberistas.com
(Or about a million other sites! Wink )

Good luck! We're all behind you!

Stop dead photo links! Post photos to The Samba Gallery!
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most people have a slip. It's not the end of the world. For many that's the start of really taking it seriously. This disease kills most of us so am hoping you give it another shot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

somany people say they drink when they feal bad or depressed. for my wife shes fine most of the time....well she has tits...&5 kids so... but it's when she drinks that she gets depressed and the oh poor me shit comes out about shit 30+ years ago..I try to keep her for cranberry&crown thats the worst and also turns her into a real sorry depressed mean bitch. getting her to stop again probably aint gonna happen as 4 of her kids all over 30 are drunks so it's a drunk fest whenever there around anywhere and alwaays crap started.. I cant keep her from her kids nor do I want to. but it sure is hard. and then theres the smoken......basically same story different day....well same day . chews the nicotine gum for years and smokes too. somebody shoot me now. I cant win. how do I get my self into this stuff Shocked
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are psychiatrists who specialize in addition. Some people drink for behavioral issues. Others possess the "addiction gene" (still controversial but interesting to say the least). If you do, you are genetically predisposed to addiction. That doesn't mean its alcohol or drugs, it could be food, or another destructive behavior.

Your "highs and lows" can indeed be something else. Something that needs medical attention. The brain is one huge chemical computer. An imbalance in the brains chemistry can cause a host of problems. Medication can help a lot. Medication management has come so far in the past 10 years. I bet there are many people in your immediate social circle who take low dose meds. Don't be afraid of them. There are several to try and they can make all the difference in the world. I have heard people say that the sky actually looks bluer once they have found the right meds.

Lose the stigma that getting help from a psychiatrist is a bad thing. Your kids deserve it.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One day at a time, sounds like bullshit but it worked for me and still does
berliner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:34 am    Post subject: booze Reply with quote

I would start with your family doctor and take it from there.Tell him/her everything.
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjohnson67 wrote:
What kind of doctor should I ask for? My insurance is good. I just don't know how to find out. I've kinda thought about my highs and lows as something else. I want to be healthy for my son. I have been trying to figure out why I was able to go for so long without a drink and to fail, it seems I have more questions than answers.....

Do you have a sponsor? Lots of people can put sobriety together for days, weeks, months. You have to identify what triggers you to drink (external or internal) and deal with that, or you will always relapse. Read the 12 steps and think about how they might apply to your situation. Think one day at a time. Once you get complacent about your sobriety, relapse happens.

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeremy57ride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kirk wrote:
jjohnson67 wrote:

Do you have a sponsor? Lots of people can put sobriety together for days, weeks, months. You have to identify what triggers you to drink (external or internal) and deal with that, or you will always relapse. Read the 12 steps and think about how they might apply to your situation. Think one day at a time. Once you get complacent about your sobriety, relapse happens.

Good advice... I think the bottom line is you have to find what works for you. I've managed 13 years sober and still have days that are harder than others. Thing is... as time goes, these days are less and less and you become stronger. The key is to recognize the cravings when the creep up and learn how to deal with them... as soon as you recognize them. Unfortunately if this comes through certain friends or scenes... it's time to move on. As a husband and father, I can assure you, you will never regret that decision. "Flee from evil- cling to good"
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drscope wrote:
If you are serious about quitting you have to go to AA. You can't do it yourself.

Not true. You might not be able to do it yourself but it can be done. I quit over the holidays many years ago, figuring if I could do without at that time of year the rest of the time should be no problem. Cold turkey is what worked for me, for drinking and for smoking both.

It can be done, but you must do it.
vdubyah73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also quit without ever setting a foot in an AA meeting. I had the help of a good woman, now my wife.

Bill

73 bounty hunter, sold.
'77 transporter, junked had crotch rot.
Dubless, but have a CPR built stroker waiting for a new to me Beetle
'93 Fleetwood Bounder 34'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: