Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

67 Westy
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40 ... 42, 43, 44  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to link the flooring thread but I saw you had posted there already so you are aware of it. I will probably have to replace mine at some point as well. Although I may try to stretch it out and reglue it to a new piece of wood, we'll see. It looks like you have the pattern that's a little harder to match closely.

Here's what mine looks like:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pinetops wrote:
Although I may try to stretch it out and reglue it to a new piece of wood, we'll see.

You can turn (rotate) it 180 and expose a whole new edge.
BlastMasterMannyFresh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Pinetops wrote:
Although I may try to stretch it out and reglue it to a new piece of wood, we'll see.

You can turn (rotate) it 180 and expose a whole new edge.

i tried that in my bus, but the discoloration from the ice box and jump seat are very visible under your feet in front of the rear bench.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dcheek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda,
Glad to see you are back to work on your Westy.

Any chance you will be ready for the All Air Cooled Gathering in September?

www.allaircooledgathering.com

Dave
1966 Westy
1976 914 2.0
1989 911 Carrera
1981 Diesel Rabbit Pick Up
1982 Diesel Vanagon
2014 Golf (last year German mfr for NA)
2019 Jetta Gli, 35th Anniversary Edition, 6 speed
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were you I would try and heat and stretch possibly remove it completly and clean and stretch onto new wood floor. Yours looks great.

Pinetops wrote:
I was going to link the flooring thread but I saw you had posted there already so you are aware of it. I will probably have to replace mine at some point as well. Although I may try to stretch it out and reglue it to a new piece of wood, we'll see. It looks like you have the pattern that's a little harder to match closely.

Here's what mine looks like:

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a posibility although I will be visiting friends and hopefully family in Germany this month and may not have time to prepare. My trip to locate my family in a small town of 450 just north of Nuremberg has over shadowed my bus.

The motherland of my family:

dcheek wrote:
Linda,
Glad to see you are back to work on your Westy.

Any chance you will be ready for the All Air Cooled Gathering in September?

www.allaircooledgathering.com

Dave

www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very cool, i was born in a village of 600 maybe 40 miles from Nurnberg, close to Schweinfurt.

This is such a pretty area of germany. There is literally a castle or monastery in every other little village, and a brewery of course

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know thanks. The area looks beautiful and I'm glad we can see the VW museum in Wolfsburg too! I know nothing about Germany so this will be a real education for me. I do hope Google Translate will get me to meet up with some family. My true dream would of course be to find that a family member has a VW barn find with family Logo's on it. Now that would be a real treat. I would pay anything to ship something like that home with me.

mandraks wrote:
very cool, i was born in a village of 600 maybe 40 miles from Nurnberg, close to Schweinfurt.

This is such a pretty area of germany. There is literally a castle or monastery in every other little village, and a brewery of course

www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a great trip of discovery Linda! Germany is beautiful, and that region is even more so! Glad to hear you will get to Wolfsburg, you should tour VW's "Autostat" and it's museum, definitely sign-up and take a guided Wolfsburg factory tour and if you have time, check out their older museum building over on Deiselstrasse Street (lots of cool older VWs in that museum too). Drink a few great Germany brews every day, and enjoy the hearty cuisine! Good luck locating your family roots over there, have a ball! We all wish that we could come along too!

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bill, will do.

BulliBill wrote:
Have a great trip of discovery Linda! Germany is beautiful, and that region is even more so! Glad to hear you will get to Wolfsburg, you should tour VW's "Autostat" and it's museum, definitely sign-up and take a guided Wolfsburg factory tour and if you have time, check out their older museum building over on Deiselstrasse Street (lots of cool older VWs in that museum too). Drink a few great Germany brews every day, and enjoy the hearty cuisine! Good luck locating your family roots over there, have a ball! We all wish that we could come along too!

Bill Bowman

www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
dcheek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Westy Reply with quote

Linda,

Okay, it's time for a little tough love. You MUST get your Westy finished this year! It's a shame to keep it idle when the potential of using it and having fun is so close to a reality! If you start now, and do something/anything every weekend you could be ready for the nice weather.

Come on Linda, let's make 2016 the year it happens!

Dave
1966 Westy
1976 914 2.0
1989 911 Carrera
1981 Diesel Rabbit Pick Up
1982 Diesel Vanagon
2014 Golf (last year German mfr for NA)
2019 Jetta Gli, 35th Anniversary Edition, 6 speed
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Westy Reply with quote

Yes Linda, push the completion of that SO-42 back up to the front of your "to-do" list! We're all rooting for you!

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
Schwing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Westy Reply with quote

I have enjoyed reading your build. You have learned a ton and I predict 2016 is the year this puppy gets finished. See you at the Gathering in Sept, thats 8 months.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Westy Reply with quote

Update, got my bus out of the garage finally sorting out the bits and pieces. Installing the yellow pop-top canvas today and I hope to get the rest of the glass in too. I'm sure I'll have a ton of questions today. Yesterday was tiring getting the old girl started but thanks to this great site full of helpful excellent troubleshooting members my bus runs great and I'm ready to work into the midnight oil again.

There was a post several years ago in which Major Woody said the yellow fabric needs to fold over on the inside when stapling it in and I'm unable to locate that, anyone have a tip?

Problem solved:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8153158#8153158

Yesterday

www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Westy Reply with quote

I found the thread on the pop-top canvas install and the lip of canvas folded over. Looking for my staple gun as we speak.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1...p;start=40

using this method and layout thanks Jeremy:

I'm assuming I staple over the plastic strip but my original canvas was stapled under the plastic. Anyone know which I should go for?

from http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1...p;start=40

www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
BlastMasterMannyFresh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Westy Reply with quote

buy yourself an electric staple gun, you can get one in the $20 range from home depot, it will make the job very easy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Westy Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:

Nice 720 - and yesterday was 720 day
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Westy Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:

I'm assuming I staple over the plastic strip but my original canvas was stapled under the plastic. Anyone know which I should go for?

Under the plastic is what we have always seen. Use stainless steel staples.
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 Westy Reply with quote

Update, took all day to unload the bus of parts as I have squirreled away so many parts I didn't even know what I had and often ended up buying many twice. I was able to organize into category's and clean the glass and get the seals on with sore wrists when completed. I bought the German seals from Ronnie and I expect they will go in somewhat easily or as can be expected. Looking forward to a full day tomorrow and more updates, I'll be using weed wacker line this time along with some dish soap.

www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 Westy Reply with quote

That is quite the parts stash! Thanks for the update.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40 ... 42, 43, 44  Next
Jump to:
Page 39 of 44

Jump to: