Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"We decided to tear down the old barn..."
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BSQUARE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MonT3 wrote:
My 67 had similar issues in the cargo area. Pitting, holes, rot, all of it was present in various areas. I stared at it with a few beers and decided to cut the larger piece of the cargo area out and replace it. I also had some holes at the front of the wheel well along with some in the lower corners which was cut out and replaced. And since my rockers were spent, it made sense to me to clear that area out. You can see what I did beginning in the middle of page 26 - http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5...;start=500
The area you’re dealing with is a big chore indeed but it can be corrected if you have the replacement pieces? Have you sought out donor pieces? Study the cars underside so you know what you’re dealing with. Get a good sense of what you’re going to have to do as well as how to go about it. There are quite a few spot welds in there and under that cargo area. Take a look underneath there so you have no surprises. One more thing, my shell was removed from the pan so I had no obstructions while working that area. Calculate your steps before moving forward.
If I had to do it again, the only thing I would do different is change where I cut into the engine bay area. I cut into the corners. Cleaning those areas out was a pain. Don’t be discouraged with what’s in front of you as you can overcome that.

Thank you.
I've been flipping through your build and Bob's Krusty thread for insight on how to tackle particular areas. Both have been very helpful Cool

I've only zapped the pinholes in the cargo floor and don't intend to dig too deep there, but your writeups - especially on how you handled the lower wheelwells/rear seat area is really valuable.

Bobnotch wrote:
BSQUARE wrote:
... my thought is:
Extend the "wall" (the vertical section the interior panel mounts to) downward as far as necessary,
add sections to the inner and outer wheel wells to meet the wall - possibly flaring the joints a bit to lap up onto the wall piece. Idea Question

I'd like to see/read how others have addressed this area.

Sounds like a plan to me. Since you've still got the fender on, that makes doing a "correct" repair tougher, but you can still patch it enough to keep the road debris out with some overhead welding. Wink

The lower part can be fixed from the inside too, but it'll be more work.

I'd be foolish not to pull the quarters off - There's a bunch of debris I can see through the vents that will get sucked into the fan (and, I'm sure, piles of mouse turds I can't see yet , need to bump out the corner so the taillight sits right and the seal seals, and the rust repair that will be much easier without that obstacle.

I have been hesitant to pull the quarters yet, for fear of breaking the beading or having it not fit back right. The driver's side is cracked already, but the passenger's side is still in tact. Of course that's the side that needs the most attention. Rolling Eyes

For mass production purpose, I see why they assembled that area the way they did. But from a repair standpoint, it looks like a tough one to do well and properly.

Thanks for the input.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BSQUARE wrote:

I have been hesitant to pull the quarters yet, for fear of breaking the beading or having it not fit back right. The driver's side is cracked already, but the passenger's side is still in tact. Of course that's the side that needs the most attention. Rolling Eyes

That's what I figured (the beading) was why you hadn't pulled the fenders off. Wink
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
BSQUARE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to take a hiatus from working on this for a bit
but didn't want to leave it for too long...

I took the rear quarters off and managed to keep all the beading in tact - at least I didn't break it any worse than it was when I got the car.
All pieces are accounted for, even the lower left piece under the bumper where the apron is mangled.
Looking at the apron/quarter joint, I didn't think it was even there

I started on the left side. The tubs aren't in terrible shape, but needed patching in a couple spots.

Inside the air intake vent
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Inside the car (before grinding)

I made a "comb" out of the inner piece and made a radius in the "teeth", to help it match the contour of the tub better.
I think it turned out OK, and will be hidden under the vinyl arch pieces once I reassemble the car.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work, and it looks good too. Very Happy
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
BSQUARE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited the wrong post, scroll down for the photos...

I found that the left side rear wheel tub was rusted through below the armrest.
A fairly easy patch, once I removed the Pork Pie and repositioned the armrest, having no compound curves, at least in the area that needed replacing.

I cleaned up and squirted some paint inside (that's what the 86 Cavalier Teal overspray is) to protect the reinforcement braces before putting the patch in.
Considering plugging the lower gap, pouring some paint in the top, then pulling the plug to let the excess drain.
Might be good to do in a few other places on the car, as well.

Another shot of the inner tub patch cleaned up and primed.

Also hit the area below the deck in the engine bay and in the cooling air intake.
I ran out of steam as I was tacking it in - I'll fully weld it in the morning, and take some pictures of the inner tubs.

BSQUARE wrote:
I took the rear quarters off and managed to keep all the beading in tact - at least I didn't break it any worse than it was when I got the car.

Yeah, about that... Embarassed

I'd put it up on the roof, to keep it out of the way.
It occasionally would fall off from the vibrations of grinding, cutting, or hammering on the car.
So, in my infinite whiz-dumb, I put it on the floor behind the car since I'm mainly working through the side doors.
I recently picked up a 1965 Honda Super Cub to scoot around on until it gets too cold to ride, then work on it over the Winter (yes, I do have Tinker-Toy ADD)
While parking the scooter in the garage in that open space behind the car... I stepped on the beading. d'oh!
It's now broken inside the passenger door (the one piece on the car that had stayed in one piece, of course) toward the top.
Not really what I want passengers to see when they open the door, but I can't rewind time.
Yet.

The damages so far - one crack in the beading, a couple broken bolts, and snapped the mirror stalk.

Last edited by BSQUARE on Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:16 am; edited 1 time in total
BSQUARE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the repair areas in the Driver's side rear wheel well.
I'm just flat-topping the welds (they'll mostly be hidden once assembled),
except for the one deep inside the air intake, which I'm leaving alone because grinding that would be a bitch and this is supposed to be relaxing and fun.
I just tried to make that one pretty Smile

Last edited by BSQUARE on Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks very good. Reminds me of when I was doing the wheel well arches on my 71 Notch. You could even have shot more of that Teal on those spots to help blend them. Wink You did a nice job on it. Congrats. Applause
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
BSQUARE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: "We decided to tear down the old barn..." Reply with quote

Getting back to it, I took care of the rusty areas in the front left wheel well.
It wasn't as bad as the right side, so it was fairly easy.

Before:

After:

The right rear wheel well was rusted all along the seam between the inner and outer sections.

Since the rust had extended so far down, I half-removed the intake air duct for better access.

I used a makeshift jig (basically just a piece of pipe clamped in my vice) to keep the pieces uniform, and made the same style "combs" as I used on the other side.

I realized I never took any interior pictures after grinding and replacing the seat back pivot and armrest.

I'll update again sooner than I did this last time.
glutenfree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: "We decided to tear down the old barn..." Reply with quote

Yeah! Like fine art. Happy to see the car being saved! Keep it up..maybe I will see ya at one of the future type 3 events.

Have a Happy Halloween!

Cheers
my Shapeways store
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BSQUARE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: "We decided to tear down the old barn..." Reply with quote

Had some spare time today to finish welding in the right rear wheel well.
I'll need to seal the seams and reattach the cooling air intake box, then I'm ready to put the quarter panels back on. Very Happy

BSQUARE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: "We decided to tear down the old barn..." Reply with quote

Finished grinding my welds today, on to the seam sealer.

BSQUARE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: "We decided to tear down the old barn..." Reply with quote

With the rusty rear wheel wells repaired, seams sealed, and new seals (air intake and lower quarter) installed; I replaced the rear quarters.

While I had them off, I straightened the damaged rear corners on the panels. They're not perfect, but the taillights and reflectors sit down better than they didn't before. I'll post some before-and-after shots.

I straightened the rear apron somewhat. I was planning to replace it, but thought it would look weird having a straight apron with bashed corners and a dented bumper.
That's my excuse, anyway... Rolling Eyes

It's starting to look like a car again...

I adjusted the crooked hatch and frunk lid.

I also painted the top side of the pan. Once it fully dries, I can replace the front-to-rear brake line and re-install the interior.

BSQUARE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: "We decided to tear down the old barn..." Reply with quote

No pictures, but I've also replaced the axle boots, input shaft seal, drained the sludge from the trans, and spliced in to fix some mouse-chewed wires to the RR taillight and license plate light.

I picked up a 2-gallon jug of cheap 80-90 gear oil, figuring I'll do a couple short-interval changes to get the clumpy (likely factory-filled) oil out before switching over to synthetic.
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: "We decided to tear down the old barn..." Reply with quote

You're gaining on it and soon you'll be turning the key on her. Good on you man! Cool
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
BSQUARE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: "We decided to tear down the old barn..." Reply with quote

Haven't made a whole lot of progress lately...
Home projects always take a higher priority and, being that my house is almost 115 years old, I have plenty of them.

Got the sound deadening installed - it should be a bit quieter than my 71, which didn't have any carpeting or tar boards.

Put the vapor barriers on the doors, and all the interior panels aft of the doors are installed.

MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: "We decided to tear down the old barn..." Reply with quote

Looking good there and you're coming up on placing the carpeting back in. That a huge motivator there. Congrats on your progress. We all have projects. I can only imagine some for a 115yr old home. But still you can knock them out and get back on the square. Good on you! Cool
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
BSQUARE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: "We decided to tear down the old barn..." Reply with quote

Haven't updated in a while, but have some progress to show.
Hopefully, it will be back on the road soon.

Re-did the braking system - rotors (NOS VW), calipers from CB Performance (I'll try my hand at rebuilding a set of original ATE calipers eventually), Centric Ceramic pads, SKF wheel bearings, all new hard and soft lines, brake light switches, rear drums turned & painted with high-temp paint, new shoes, axle seals and all that jazz, cylinders, and adjusters.

Rear before:

Rear after:

Yes, I did catch and fix my parking brake hinge pin goof-up before I put the drum back on. Embarassed

Painted the framehead and underside of the pan (couldn't get a good picture of the underside)

Cut a sheet of masonite for the rear cargo area, to level out the floor and protect the sound deadening insulation.
I used the mat for the basic shape, then "shrunk" it to fit.

Re-installed the foot well/under-door carpet pieces, and laid down the rear piece.
Only thing holding up installing the front piece, is that I can't find that little stop piece, the one in front of the brake and clutch pedals, in my boxes of parts.
The tape is just to hold the pieces in place till the glue dries...

Still a bunch of stuff to do yet, but it's coming along...
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: "We decided to tear down the old barn..." Reply with quote

Progress is looking really good. Keep it up and you'll be driving this thing soon. Cool
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: "We decided to tear down the old barn..." Reply with quote

WOW !! You've been kicking ass on that thing. Really nice work going on, and yes progress is progress. You keep that up, and you'll be driving before summer is over. Cool
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
blues90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: "We decided to tear down the old barn..." Reply with quote

How does the inner rear panel floor and the area between the rear wheel wells get rust like that? Is it from water leaking in from rusted out rear wheel wells or water leaks from rear side windows?

I know when I lived in IL every car I had was rusted through somewhere it always seemed to be a hole that started from the outside.

My 73 SB has lived it's entire life in southern Calif and has not rust other than the surface rust on the battery box floor plus the small acid damage from a leaking interstate battery which didn't get a hole just sort of etched the small area a bit.

The rear tar board if that's what it's called it's that thick floor insulation that covers the entire rear cargo floor around the engine lid has become gummy it's still there and I can lift it around the engine lid so it's become loose yet I see no rust anywhere. That insulation used to have a sort of white covering that now is no longer white if I lay a tool on it it leaves an impression and touching it it feels gummy.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: