Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

H30/31 accelerator pump passage
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Culito

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:35 pm    Post subject: H30/31 accelerator pump passage Reply with quote

Hi folks,
I've got a Brosol H30/31 here in unknown condition, although it looks as if it was barely used.
Question about the accelerator pump passage: I can't get any flow through it whatsoever. The carb was fairly clean and the passages look good, but nothing gets through, even after soaking. If I poke a brass wire down from the top, it only goes as far as the red line, past the brass pin - then its like a dead end.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Is there a check ball or valve in there somewhere? Should I be able to poke a wire all the way to the bottom of that passage? Is it possible it wasn't drilled correctly, hence the lack of wear / use?
I'm ready to bust out the drill.

Thanks,
-C
johnnypan wrote:
...dont pay no attention to Culito,he's a cornhole..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am pretty sure that pin is holding the check ball in there.

That could be frozen and blocking the flow.

I think some have removed the pin and cleaned it but I have no idea how the pin would be put back in.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Matthew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did one of those last week. It took 6 hrs soaking in the gallon bucket of carb cleaner to get the accelerator pump working correctly. There is a check ball in there; you have to pull that brass plug in the float bowl that is just behind the accelerator pump. Tap it to 6-32 and use a machine screw to pull it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Culito

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matthew wrote:
I just did one of those last week. It took 6 hrs soaking in the gallon bucket of carb cleaner to get the accelerator pump working correctly. There is a check ball in there; you have to pull that brass plug in the float bowl that is just behind the accelerator pump. Tap it to 6-32 and use a machine screw to pull it.

I guess I forgot to mention: The passage between the accelerator pump housing and float bowl is clean and open. I can hear the check ball moving in there.
The problem is between the pump body and nozzle.
johnnypan wrote:

Last edited by Culito on Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Matthew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Culito wrote:

I guess I forgot to mention: The passage between the accelerator pump housing and float bowl is clean and open. I can hear the check ball moving in there.
The problem is between the pump body and nozzle.

I'd let it soak for a while and lightly tap the outside of the carburetor body before drilling anything.
Culito

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just shone a light down the top passage...and there's a check ball at the bottom. It must be stuck good. It also looks like there's a bit of corrosion down there like moisture had settled.
Fun!
johnnypan wrote:
Dougy Dee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pull the pin and soak it again.
I had one several months back that lived in carb dip for several bays with no success. Pulled the pin and soaked again...Freed the ball up fine.
Damn alcohol 'enhanced' fuels!
I pushed the pin back in, peened a bit, and used a small amount of Loctite Green, 290 or 609, to seal the area.
Culito

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dougy Dee wrote:
I had one several months back that lived in carb dip for several bays with no success. Pulled the pin and soaked again...Freed the ball up fine.
I pushed the pin back in, peened a bit, and used a small amount of Loctite Green, 290 or 609, to seal the area.

Pull the pin out of the side? It doesn't look like it was made to come out...
johnnypan wrote:
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take it to a car wash and blast it with a shot of high pressure soapy warm water a couple times to see if that will blow it loose.

Put the nozzle right against the accelerator pump hole.

It won't hurt to try.

If it works... take it home and blow it dry with air.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
MURZI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soak it in a crock-pot of Seafoam...... my customers tell me this is the miracle cure.
45 Dells
A1 sidewinder
Fk44 cam
Culito

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good suggestions. I'm not giving up, that's for sure.
I hear that acid eats aluminum oxide, so I'm putting a few drops of diluted sulfuric acid down there.
That'll show it.
johnnypan wrote:
Dougy Dee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Culito wrote:
Dougy Dee wrote:

Just pulled another one. Took me 20 seconds to adjust the Vicegrips and get it out. Took me about 5 minuted to find my needle nose Vicegrips. The flat tip ones dont close properly on the tapered pin.
Culito

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dougy Dee wrote:
Culito wrote:
Dougy Dee wrote:

Just pulled another one. Took me 20 seconds to adjust the Vicegrips and get it out. Took me about 5 minuted to find my needle nose Vicegrips. The flat tip ones dont close properly on the tapered pin.

Wow, you're right, it just pulled right out with a pair of pliers. It's still way above where the ball is resting, though, so I'm not sure what good it'll do to have it out...
johnnypan wrote:
Culito

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I finally got the damn ball un-stuck.
After piddling around with cleaners and such with no luck, I heated the brass plug (facing left in the pic) with a torch until the whole area was pretty hot. Then I smacked it upside-down on a table. Blew through the hole with compressed air, and a fine powder blew out the top. Bam!
Pulled the pin, took the ball out (which was coated with oxides), cleaned it and the passage, and re-assembled. Looks like we're good to go...
johnnypan wrote:
Ferrety66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:28 pm    Post subject: I am having the same problem Reply with quote

I know this post is old Culito. However, it is useful to me because I am having the same problem. I do not have a torch but. I do have compressed air. The carb was working fine and all of a sudden no gas was being sent through that same passage.
Ferrety66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: I am having the same problem Reply with quote

Ferrety66 wrote:
I know this post is old Culito. However, it is useful to me because I am having the same problem. I do not have a torch but. I do have compressed air. The carb was working fine and all of a sudden no gas was being sent through that same passage.

I got it out! Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: