Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Throttle Linkage Comparison- CB Hex Bar, CSP, Berg
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
flat4olsen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Logmech cable system. Works fine and easy to adjust. http://www.dalhems.com/sv/p/6e6bce39dc06412d9b8da05a009d3678/forgasarlankage-IDF

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The difference between a linkage made for Weber idf and Dellorto drla is extremely small. The factory arms don't swap from one brand to another, but I have taken an aftermarket linkage arm off of an IDF and bolted it to a DRLA with no modification needed. Not saying that this is always the case, just that you don't need to think too hard to make a Weber linkage work on a Dellorto.
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

esde, the nice guy at Cip1 said it just involved a little filing is all on the throttle arms, that is what CSP Rep told him... RB
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive had zero issues with my empi hpmx hex bar linkage that cam with the kit. easy to sync and stays that way.(although I do make alterations to everything so it is like I want it to be) I reckon I have about 12 years on it now.pretty flawless on everything once worked out execpt for 1 intake gadget due to intakes being not bigenough for wedge ports on the std kit. my delux kit has the big beef cb intakes. I have 3 sets of big beef intakes now.and no issues at all.
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotcha Shalimar, thing is ratio wise it looks like a "Twitchy" set-up meaning that the pedal is going to be real senstaive to the linkage to carb ratio as in its action. You must have a good feel for it and gotten use to it. Berg is somewhat the same looking to me as well, thing is, this will be my first "Big" motor and I like to have the modulation feel on my side and like to get use to that so that there is great engine responce feel.

I know I may be over thinking this, but in all opinions are why we are here. At one time there were not that many linkages out there, but now days they are a signture of the owner of the cars in how they "display" there engines as well as how they run...

I do have a complete Hex Bar set-up in the package that came with my DRLAs, it is just that I am not 100% into using it as stated as above. Mean it looks polished off and most likely performs perfectly, it simply is not my style and I am open to change out this item.

Thanks for your input Shalimar, always appreciated for your personal preference on how things work and your knowledge.. Wish you knew more on CSP or do you? lol... RB
drumbum68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out my bearing adapters for CB linkage. Cool
58 Plastic Tub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:
58 Plastic Tub wrote:
Yeah. You know they all use a cable, right?

HUH... Drive by wire has no cable.... Many new car use a stepper motor to open.close throttle plate....

Dale

Yeah. Got a drive by wire Type 1, Dale?

The question was regarding various linkages (Berg, CB, et al). The OP is scared of cables. There's exactly one additional cable in a Sync Link, and the cables are sealed much better on the ends.
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plastic, it is just the design that I see not going as far long term wise as the others.

Scared, not really, just trying to eleviate as much preventaive maintance as I can for down the road.

Plus my car is for sure not a show car, daily use with rain all getting at the engine and all the normal stuff, fan ducting sucking in dust, the whole shebang...

Yea, my plan is to have some investments on items that last hopefully my life time is all and yet be super performers... RB
58 Plastic Tub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's your call, Railboy.

I'm unsure why you think the Sync Link is for show-cars, and everything else it to use... but I'm just telling you, the only moving parts in a Sync Link are the wheels, and they are what actually HAS to move. There's one extra cable, and no exposed cable outside a housing (unlike every other set-up with an exposed cable outside a housing). There just isn't anything to go out of adjustment, aside from cable stretch, and that has proved to be minimal.

I've not used a Berg, but I've used a LOT of CB hex-bars, and did a Scat push-pull once. I'm using Sync Link now, and I'll never go back.
A E Numan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried the some of the other's but for my $300 the Synk-Link is the best. Simple, works perfect and looks cool.
Cool
64delux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like I am the only person on this forum with a Vintage Speed BEST Linkage.

Cant help though its still in a box ill check in when I get everything finished.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Delux, saw the Vintage Speed but don't no anyone with it to hear results. Looks very simular to CSP in how it works and is sealed. Way Cool Looking in Design. RB
MotoGreg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Logmech cable system looks like main throttle cable pulls a wheel which in turn turns two cables, one to each carb. I think that's a better design than the Sync Link.

The problem that I have with my Sync Link is that the secondary cable that opens the right side carb makes that carb hang open if I adjust all the slack out of it. I have the cable housing bowed down to touch the top of the case, as the instructions show, but there is no way to remove all the slack without the right carb not returning fully to closed.

As it is now, I have an auxillary return spring on the right carb, but even with that I have to leave some slack in the cable... so when the gas pedal pulls the left carb open the right carb lags behind. So basically at very small throttle openings it runs rough because the left carb butterflies are just cracked open and the right carb hasn't started to open yet, due to the necessary slack in the cable. Also, at full throttle only the left carb is actually wide open while the right carb is around 95% open. Basically the right carb is always about 5% less open at all throttle positions except for closed (idle).

Not sure what I can do to change this, but I need to do something.
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Throttle Linkage Comparison- CB Hex Bar, CSP, Berg Reply with quote

RailBoy wrote:

Something else, thing is I have the CB Hex Bar but am unsure I want to run it, read so many threads on issues with it I am not sure if it is set-up issues or it just does not stay tuned in comparison to other linkages out there. RB

I've been running the CB hex-bar linkage for many years, without issue. They came with my used carbs, so I've just kept them, since they work fine. I never touch them, so I'm not sure what the issues are with keeping them tuned:

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
68 Beetle 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
Dynojet Test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
VWCOOL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes I'm a fan of the CB, I have the cast alloy carby base plates

A BIG factor for me is the easy syncing/tuneabilty at very small throttle openings as well as WOT

Also very quick to remove for engine-outs or repairs track-side

Not subject to resonance/movement like units mounted on the fan-housing

However, I did upsize the grub screws to the cross-bar as the originals were too small
Bret Young
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another person here for the Sync Link setup. I had one in my bug for 2 years. LOVED it.

I have had CB setups, push/pull center mount linkages and the Sync Link. The Sync Link was by far my favorite.

I am still doing mock-up on my current build, but I have a brand new Sync-Link linkage setup sitting in the box with the rest of my parts. I won't go back to a hex bar setup. Just my 2 cents.
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like sealed systems when it comes to outdoor use....

The CSP Set-Up I think is a lot like the Vintage in that it is capped and sealed, and has sealed bearings. The thing is I know that the CSP has sealed bearings in it as in comparison to Skat. Yep, ran the Skat set-up with a set of Kadrons and the Skat is nice, but for the ultimate setup of carbs, DRLAs, I wanted something that will last.. And I am thinking between the Berg and CSP, CSP won..

Thing is when looking at the CSP, it has sealed bearings in it, super nice design and lack of moving parts, I went with it.....

Thing here is personal preference. Thanks for ya'lls time is conversing about it, I may be back to talk more on it, for it takes some modding to work, but I read and heard that if the modding is done right, it is one fine piece of machinery. RB
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Throttle Linkage Comparison- CB Hex Bar, CSP, Berg Reply with quote

neil68 wrote:
RailBoy wrote:

Something else, thing is I have the CB Hex Bar but am unsure I want to run it, read so many threads on issues with it I am not sure if it is set-up issues or it just does not stay tuned in comparison to other linkages out there. RB

I've been running the CB hex-bar linkage for many years, without issue. They came with my used carbs, so I've just kept them, since they work fine. I never touch them, so I'm not sure what the issues are with keeping them tuned:

Excuse me sir, you seem to be missing your belt......

Doing allittle dirty work at the track? 😇
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Transmission by MCMScott:
Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many of my clients use the CSPs. I make sure to lube the ball joints with grease before final installation. A friend in the Powderpuff Series says that some of the racers don't care for CSP bellcrank. They say the joints wear out too quickly. Maybe it's one person's experience that spread among racers, or maybe the constant quick movements of accelerate wear?
saw2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the CSP bell crank sets I have I was given to me by a friend cause the ball and socket joints were worn and would come unsnapped easily. Even though they never came unsnapped while using them.

I removed the balls from the throttle arms, made new linkage rods and used regular throttle heim joints and connected to throttle arms with a small screw and esna nut. The only reason I made new rods were left and right handed heims in this small of a metric thread were hard to find. Heims in standard thread are easy to find. Even though it makes it more of a hassle to remove rods over snap cap style connector it is a much more fail proof connection and I have not had one problem with this set up.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: