Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gilmore AC Kit for 1978 Super Beetle
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dsliman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:16 am    Post subject: I was asked how to adjust the belt on a Gilmore AC system Reply with quote

Here is what I did to tighten the belt...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
dsliman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:53 pm    Post subject: Progress Update - Glimore AC in 78 Super Convertible Reply with quote

Connected the Blower and wired the electrical. Used a single "L" bracket to position the blower unit. Installed both below Dash AC vents. Still have to mount the AC switch control unit.

jl_1303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you measured the temp it blows out of the air it blows out from the vents? Curious to know.
dsliman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have not measured the temp yet. But it does blow cold. I will say since the car is not fully tuned yet, at idle... The compressor kills the engine. So that will be something that the need to be visited but I am just happy it's working at this point and now a little fine tuning is next.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dsliman wrote:
The compressor kills the engine.

Interesting. My 1970 has DPD dealer-installed AC with the big Tecumseh compressor, and I can't say that its compressor killed the engine, but one could feel it when AC was switched on. That was a 1600cc single port engine.

I did build up that engine to 1835cc with a single Weber carb, and then I could barely tell that AC was engaged, a big improvement. I was under the repeated impression that the modern compressors (all vehicles) require much less hp to run. I think I'd see how it runs once at full tune.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Joel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An idle up solenoid is what you need.

Either raid one from a junkyard car that had a factory one or you can buy aftermarket ones, they come in either electric of vacuum operated.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joel wrote:
An idle up solenoid is what you need.

Either raid one from a junkyard car that had a factory one or you can buy aftermarket ones, they come in either electric of vacuum operated.

Oh, so you think that when he said the AC compressor was "killing his engine", that it was stalling at idle? OK. What I do on my '88 Mazda truck with Weber carb is raise the idle to like 1050 rpm, so it will idle fine with its AC compressor on.

On my 1970 VW I did similar, that had a single Weber 40DCNF.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
dsliman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - Yes at idle, the compressor will cause the engine to sputter and stop. I do know I have to get the timing readjusted on the engine.. This is a new crate engine and I kept it fuel injected... I did have it timed nicely.. But the after market distributer bracket broke (aftermarket stuff generally is crap BTW), so I pulled the dist. and installed the original bracket... Since then, I just have not been able to get it timed perfectly again... But of recent, have not had time to work on it...

Not sure if the Idle up solenoid would really be applicable to FI engine - assuming the computer (using term loosely) will adjust idle based upon engine performance?

But, will get it timed and see how it goes.. I do know this compressor should not pull that much from the engine... So will assume I still have a little timing work first before I look beyond that.
wellcraft
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Gilmore AC Kit for 1978 Super Beetle Reply with quote

Do you have to pull the engine to install the system?

Also, does this system comes with a heater? I noticed the vent from the doghouse.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Gilmore AC Kit for 1978 Super Beetle Reply with quote

you can also raise the idle timing so it idles smoother.I would also add at least 1 possiably 2 idlers on the belt.so it dosent flop around witch creates a lot of stress on everything from the exhaust stud to the head studs holding the heads on,and many other things like...crank pully, crank.... remember a belt flop is harmonic and....it all starts waving around in harmony before......snap!crackle! pop!
I plan on having ac on my 356 when it's done(if it ever gets done)and possibly my bug too. I haven't decided on just how I will do it.I have a new sankyo compressor, but.....might go all electrick...or not. still thinken on that.it would be cheep and light that way and I already have a 75 amp alt....hmm it might be a 90 amp cant remember. + ac& refrigeration is what my brother does& I did it for a few years too on cars& home,restraunts.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Gilmore AC Kit for 1978 Super Beetle Reply with quote

All vehicle AC compressors are made for 500-5000 rpm or so, so not much difference there.

Condenser size is important to cool the compressed liquid refrigerant to a gas, so is size of evaporator. And although temperature of the cooled air is quite important, so is that air flow and direction of the flow out the vents (slow fan speeds mean slightly lower temperatures out). And if your VW has sat in the hot southwest sun a few hours your seats, dash, etc. will all be like 160F.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dsliman wrote:
Not sure if the Idle up solenoid would really be applicable to FI engine - assuming the computer (using term loosely) will adjust idle based upon engine performance?

No. The L-Jet system on your car and other early EFI systems of that time are not that sophisticated. The L-Jet system has no way to adjust idle speed - it does not have any control over the idle speed and it does not know or care what the idle speed is (ok maybe it knows engine rpm but it can't control engine rpm). The ECU doesn't know or care if you have a/c.

On these cars the idle speed is adjusted with a screw at the throttle body. There is a simple air bypass passage that goes around the throttle plate. When you turn the screw you are literally moving the end of the screw into or out of that passage to allow more or less air to flow, thus increasing or decreasing the idle speed.

So idle up solenoids were common on vehicles of the era. You could set it to activate when the a/c compressor clutch is engaged and it would just open up an air passage around the throttle plate to increase idle speed, pretty much the same way the idle speed screw does it.

Modern FI systems generally employ throttle-by-wire and/or fine ECU control of the throttle angle via stepper motors so they don't need idle up solenoids. When the compressor kicks in they can automatically tweak the throttle angle a hair so the idle speed remains steady and the driver is never the wiser.
Junkyardjockey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dsliman wrote:
Thanks - Yes at idle, the compressor will cause the engine to sputter and stop. I do know I have to get the timing readjusted on the engine.. This is a new crate engine and I kept it fuel injected... I did have it timed nicely.. But the after market distributer bracket broke (aftermarket stuff generally is crap BTW), so I pulled the dist. and installed the original bracket... Since then, I just have not been able to get it timed perfectly again... But of recent, have not had time to work on it...

But, will get it timed and see how it goes.. I do know this compressor should not pull that much from the engine... So will assume I still have a little timing work first before I look beyond that.

What a great write-up dsliman! Thanks for posting it! Sorry for bringing this thread back from the dead, but you never mentioned how you mounted the switch panel (with screws or velcro); or where you mounted it. Also, where did you stow all of the extra capillary tubing, because there’s alot more length included than you really need. I am in the process of installing the A/C in our 74 Super sedan; so that’s why I’m asking. Hopefully you will reply to this thread & post some additional pics. Thanks again sir!
2022 Subaru Outback Limited XT in crystal white pearl
2022 Subaru Outback Limited XT in cinnamon brown pearl
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: