Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Strange noise when accelerating.
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gmickels
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:37 am    Post subject: Strange noise when accelerating. Reply with quote

Hello All.
I have a 1987 Vanagon GL with a 2.1L rebuild WBX and automatic transmission. I am experiencing something that has me stumped and I am hoping someone here may have seen this before and know what to do. So far my research has mostly turned up "loose belt" but I am not convinced that is it.
When I apply a certain amount of pressure on the accelerator I hear a squealing noise. As I apply a little more pressure, the sound disappears. It only happens in that short range of pressure. It does not happen at any particular RPM and it does not matter which gear the transmission is in. It only happens when the vehicle is in motion as I can not reproduce the issue in Park or Neutral. Speed makes no difference. I can be going 5 MPH or 40 MPH and it still happens. Weather does not seem to be a factor either. Hot and sunny or cool and rainy.
It has been difficult to determine where along the undercarriage the sound is coming from but seems most likely to be coming from the rear of the van. The sound started happening after getting the van out of the shop from a post-purchase overhaul and was not happening when we purchased the vehicle. Also, this seems to have no negative effect on the vehicle's performance. It is really just an irritant at this point.
So, has anyone got ideas as to what would cause this? It would be nice to figure it out without having to go back to the shop. Folks on the Vanagon Owners Facebook page have been helpful, but I've yet to solve the mystery and am hoping someone here might have an idea.

Thanks!
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would get a friend to help isolate the location of the noise. Since it happens at 5mph I'd remove the cushion and engine lid and have my friend inside looking at the engine while I did the 5mph test. Hopefully if it is a belt that will show up real easy....

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: