Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Beating the Wiper Motor Wiring again
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Frank'nbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:38 pm    Post subject: Beating the Wiper Motor Wiring again Reply with quote

I have a 1970 Beetle that has been Baja converted. Wiper motor went bad. I bought a replacement, says 1972 and up. Wiring does NOT match diagram. HELP
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you have a '70 and bought a replacement for a '72+?

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1970VWGUY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it mount up correctly?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Joel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

72 and later have a totally different wiring layout as they are designed for the steering column stalk style switch not the dash switch.

High and low speed wire up as normal but the self parking can't be wired up without adding a relay and altering the wiring.
Frank'nbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original motor was small with one mounting bolt. I salvaged a newer bracket out of a '71. It bolts up correctly and everything looks correct. I am just trying to get the wiring to work. I had one motor (new), hooked it up like the wiring said to do and shorted out the motor, frying the black wire and almost causing a fire. Melted several wires. Returned the motor and now it says for '72 and up. It has four wires (black, green, blue, red) in a terminal and a brown loose. Any help would be great. Last thing to get completed to get it (Baja) on the road.
1970VWGUY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there any numbers where the wires come out?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
don't_bug_me
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank'nbug wrote:
The original motor was small with one mounting bolt. I salvaged a newer bracket out of a '71. It bolts up correctly and everything looks correct. I am just trying to get the wiring to work. I had one motor (new), hooked it up like the wiring said to do and shorted out the motor, frying the black wire and almost causing a fire. Melted several wires. Returned the motor and now it says for '72 and up. It has four wires (black, green, blue, red) in a terminal and a brown loose. Any help would be great. Last thing to get completed to get it (Baja) on the road.

That motor isn't from a bug, any year that I can find, wrong wiring colors, Like Joel said, later wiper motors require a relay, latching relay I believe to function properly, I believe they are wired internally different.

You may still be able to use it, but not sure if the parking wiper mechanism can be used properly without a lot of additional mods to your electrical system with the fore mentioned relays, but, test the wiring on the motor prior to installation, some color coding should remain the same, such as, brown is ground, black will be your main power to the motor, not positive now on the remaining 3, green is most likely the latching wire circuit for later model vw's, the other two switch the motors input from low to high speed.
Get some wires and test first, once you figure out which wires do what, you might be able to hook them up to your 70 wiring, but again, if it is wired internally different, you may have to park it manually by shutting them off in the lowered position, I'd get an older wiper motor and have it done right, but experiment with what you have off the car, as not to cause additional electrical problems.

edit;

in fact, I just checked the wiring colors from everything from of vw type 1 to a thing, and no wiper motor colors match to that one any year.
it's aftermarket or who knows what it's from.

"Necessity is the mother of invention"
Frank'nbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well to put this to bed. I have spent the last three evenings after work at the parts store working the store manager to figure out the wiring for the wiper motors they sell for '70 and '72 & up beetle.

The first night he hooked the later model ('70) up like the wiring diagram shows and it fried the motor just like the first one that I had.

So, the second night he hooked up the '72 motor, got it to work, but not self park. No problem.

The third night, he hooked up another later model motor and couldn't get it to turn at all. (really tight, even with a rachet)

So, three nights, still no wiper motor. STILL NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!! Trying to get another motor - might have to use the small "loaf" size later model instead.

Thanks for the discussion.

Frank'nbug
1970 Baja
don't_bug_me
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank'nbug wrote:

1) The first night he hooked the later model ('70) up like the wiring diagram shows and it fried the motor just like the first one that I had.

2) So, the second night he hooked up the '72 motor, got it to work, but not self park. No problem.

3) The third night, he hooked up another later model motor and couldn't get it to turn at all. (really tight, even with a rachet)

Thanks for the discussion.

Frank'nbug
1970 Baja

Sounds like either your extremely frustrated, or don't want any additional help...

1) sounds like you have some wiring issues, I'd double check everything before you continue burning up wiper motors, may have been why the first one failed, especially look into the switch.

2) exactly as I and Joel said

3) moot point

If you don't wish any ADDITIONAL HELP....GOOD LUCK

1970VWGUY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the original part number for that motor....
1970VWGUY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1958-79-Volkswagen-VW-Beet...mp;vxp=mtr
don't_bug_me
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1970VWGUY wrote:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1958-79-Volkswagen-VW-Beet...mp;vxp=mtr

The way he's going, he might need to buy them all Laughing Laughing , sorry, not funny, I couldn't resist

1970VWGUY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Used-Wiper-Motor-for-VW-Vo...19d8d7f1e1

The problem he has is the generic replacement motor isn't wired like the bug.
mbjeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a similar problem. I am working on a car that someone has installed a later model (appears to be '72 up standard Beetle) into a 1965, which has been converted to 12 volts, and appears to be using a '67 wiper switch.
Both speeds work fine, but, alas, no park feature. He would like to have the wipers park where they should.
I have read in my searches that it can be done with some wiring changes and possibly the addition of a relay, but I haven't seen how this can be accomplished.
This is one of the last issues on this car and I'd like to get it straightened out so he can have his car back while there is still some summer left.
Any and all help appreciated...
Greg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with the self park system, up thru 1971, the switch was grounded and provided a ground path for the self park system. This ground was dropped for the redesigned wiper system in 72. Also, the 67-71 setup, the wiper motor gets all of its power from the switch. The 72-up style, the wiper motor always has one power lead "hot". So quite different wiring setups.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Joel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The positive self parking system came out in 72 so the intermittent option worked
it was an option in some markets and became standard on a few models

mbjeeper wrote:

I have read in my searches that it can be done with some wiring changes and possibly the addition of a relay, but I haven't seen how this can be accomplished.

Here you go.

Hyperspace
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

install a low wattage light bulb inline with the power source... If it lights up when testing, something is wrong. It should give you a few seconds to turn off the power before the magic smoke escapes.

Photo's http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Hyperspace&show_results=summary
mbjeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help, guys. I will try to wire in the relay and see what I get...

Greg
13-14, maybe 15 air cooleds...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
mbjeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anyone wondering or checking into this thread later, Joel's diagram with the relay above does work beautifully.
If I remember correctly, the only impediment to putting a later ('72 up) wiper system into a '67 and earlier car is that the holes in the cowl have to be enlarged just a little, and you need to make up a support bracket.
Seems to me the above diagram would be the hot ticket for updating a 6 volt car, as the '72 up wiper motors seem to be pretty common and cheap.
Again, thanks for the info!
Greg
Tenor66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Everyone!

I'm pulling up this old thread to ask if any of you experts have some advice for me. I'm trying to wire up a replacement wiper motor that I purchased from CIP along with a 68-71 Beetle switch that I also bought from CIP. The numbers on the back of the switch seem like they should simply correspond with the numbers on the motor assembly, but when I turn the switch on, the fuse blows. Side note: when I tried following the instructions for 'parking the motor' prior to assembly, the motor turns over just fine on the respective low or high possibilities. So, I know the motor is good. I'm wiring #30 to fused power and #31 to ground.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: