Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

74 1600cc engine in a 63 bug, need help flywheel
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:29 pm    Post subject: 74 1600cc engine in a 63 bug, need help flywheel Reply with quote

Hi guys, I have a 74' beetle that had a 1600cc in it. I swapped engines so I sold it to my girlfriend's dad who has a 63' beetle.

We tried bolting the engine up to the trans but it wouldn't spline the clutch. Pulled it back out and with further inspection we found the 1600cc from my 74 flywheel was too big for the swing axle trans and would hit the casing. We pulled his original 63 flywheel off. Here's my question though. The 1600cc flywheel has an o-ring in it to seal against the crankshaft. The 63 engine has no o-ring but what appears to a machined part that is a press fit to the crankshaft. The flywheel will fit on the crankshaft, but will it SEAL
without that o-ring style ? If it will not work can he purchase a flywheel with o-ring that will work? I believe 63 is a 180mm and the 74 is a 200mm. People must have done these swaps before, thanks!

Here are some pics:
74 1600cc
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

63 flywheel:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=575769&highlight=
mikeonthebike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just guessin but you might have more luck it the early beetle forum. They are the ones putting late engines in the early bugs.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewforum.php?f=2
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The earily flywheel just used a paper or a metal gasket, there in most engine kits! But can you run your 63 flywheel on the 74 engine?
OLD VW NUT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK all VW input shafts (the splined thingy going into the transaxle) are similarly splined and the 1600 clutch disc should fit right on the input shaft. Most 'fit' problems are from not having the clutch disc centered up. So use the 1600 flywheel as it already has two things going for it that the 40hp flywheel doesn't - it has 8 dowels (stronger but was not stock) and the larger clutch/flywheel surfaces - oh - and it has the much better o-ring seal - the smaller 180mm clutch and pressure plate on the original 40hp motor won't stand up to the torque of the 1600 and they are more prone to oil leaks. You could get a performance 180mm clutch/pressure plate kit but the fix to make the 1600 flywheel is easier - and you already have the parts for the 1600.

You'll need to clearance the transaxle slightly. Put the motor in place as far in as you can get it then turn the motor over by hand to make some marks on the transaxle. You should feel slight to heavy resistance depending on how much pressure you put towards shoving the motor to the transaxle. Pull the motor and you should see the marks where there is zero clearance. Usually the right hand side needs the clearancing. Get a grinder and hit that spot until you get the clearance you want. Use modeling clay once you 'think' you have enough clearance - .125" should suffice. Its really not that difficult to do. Some transaxles accept the 1500/1600 flywheels with no problems.

You will also need to change the starter bushing as the 6v and 12v starters used different size bores - the 6v and 12v are not a direct swap. You could also get a new Bosch from starter for the car that has no need for the bushing setup since it is self-supporting.

This is the 12v self supporting starter - got one in my Ghia - works fine - its a Bosch after all!

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-SR15N-New-Starter/dp/B...starter+vw

You didn't mention whether his 63 is already 12v or is still 6v.

Other car - 2013 VW Golf TDI
alexvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies, yes the issue is the clearance with the flywheel hitting the trans. So just grind the steps of the case where the flywheel is hitting and everything will be ok? Will it affect the integrity of the mounting holes for the bolts? And it is 12v swapped.

thechief86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just grind the bell housing out until it doesn't rub anymore, and life will be good.
I've even known people who get the engine running, and slowly push it into the transaxle and let the flywheel do the grinding. You only need a few millimeters in a coupleof places.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexvw wrote:
yes the issue is the clearance with the flywheel hitting the trans. So just grind the steps of the case where the flywheel is hitting and everything will be ok? Will it affect the integrity of the mounting holes for the bolts?

The areas to grind are not close to the mounting areas.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
alexvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!!

Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your old system was 6 volts then you will need a 12 volt starter set up and you will need all new electrical in the car 12 volt radio instead of 6 and all the lights and everything need to be changed to 12 volts etc… If your using an Alternator on that 74 engine than you will be by-passing the voltage regulator Well unless it's the Motorola Alternator which needs a special Different External Voltage Reglator. Does the 74 engine have a 8 dowel crank too? To Match that flywheel?
bomberbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:45 pm    Post subject: flywheel/crankshaft mismatch Reply with quote

Is it OK if I tag on this post? You have good photos.
I just bought a new flywheel to replace the old one that was pretty beat up. Went to put the new one on, it doesn't seat. Put the old one on, fits fine. Measured the opening on old and new. Old flywheel measures 2 1/4 inch (loaned my caliper out, now I need it). Opening on the new flywheel is only 2 1/8 inch.
Now to use previous post photos, my old flywheel does not look like the 63 pictured. Mine looks more like a newer flywheel with what I am taking to be a o ring groove, its just beat up. The new flywheel has a very clear groove where the O ring goes.
Since I bought this car off ebay and have no idea what motor, crank, etc it has in it, what flywheel do I need? I can send a photo of my old nasty flywheel but I am thinking the dimensions should scream my issue.
Marion, Iowa
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bomberbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no replys. I have more information. Both flywheels are 130 teeth. Old flywheel has thicker teeth. I saw on MOFOCO they sell stock 200mm flywheels that they machine to fit for 6 to 12 volt conversions. They machine off the o ring groove so it will fit the crank. Do I still use the O ring, or drop back to the gasket method (or both just to be sure)? PO had neither, which probably caused the oil bleeding on the ground and all over the clutch.
I see no other options, am I missing something?
Marion, Iowa
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bomberbob wrote:
no replys. I have more information. Both flywheels are 130 teeth. Old flywheel has thicker teeth. I saw on MOFOCO they sell stock 200mm flywheels that they machine to fit for 6 to 12 volt conversions. They machine off the o ring groove so it will fit the crank. Do I still use the O ring, or drop back to the gasket method (or both just to be sure)? PO had neither, which probably caused the oil bleeding on the ground and all over the clutch.
I see no other options, am I missing something?

No seal required. You just use the paper gasket and permatex.

https://www.facebook.com/mofoco?ref=ts&fref=ts

www.mofoco.com

Cylinder Head Reference Sheet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fiatdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please remember that the gears on the starters have a different diameter on them too!!!!! a 12v starter will not engage a 6v flywheel and a 6v will bind on 12v

If you are running a 12v flywheel you have to run a 12v starter the same for the 6v flywheel

If you having to buy a new 12v starter, I recommend getting a autostick 12v starter -- they are simply better and don't require a bushing -- they seem to have them at all the auto parts stores.......

Here is the difference in size between the two gears,,, this pic is from when I had to change from 6v to 12v Flywheels on my Hi-Torque starter

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: