Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Shocks for Oldspeed drop spindles
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
madjon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:17 pm    Post subject: Shocks for Oldspeed drop spindles Reply with quote

Does anyone have a recommendation for front shocks for a type 3 that is lowered using Oldspeed type 3 drop spindles. Probably has a one spline turn also. I have gone from stock spindles with a 3 spline drop to the drop spindles and some spline tuning too. The ride is different, as in much less cush, more twitchy/ bobbling at speed. Should I need shorter shocks with those spindles to help smooth things out?
Thank you!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're only down 1 spline now (or even 2 splines), you can still use stock length shocks. Right off hand I don't know where you'd find them (they're similar to the rear of a bug), as you really want an oil shock for the front (gas shocks are a no no).
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stock oil shocks and if any doubt ask Russell
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:53 pm    Post subject: Greetings Reply with quote

Hello Madjon,

I saw your squareback by the SP High School. I also live in So Pas and have a '65 sunroof Variant and know others that have type 3's in the area. Nice to see a decent square around.

Martin

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NorCalTodd2011
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stock oil shocks. I have bought lowered shock for mine and they are to short.
Russell builds the best stuff put there.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
luckystiff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can't speak to if they work with those spindles but the best easy answer for shorter shocks is Monroe 5752 barndoor bus shocks(oil filled). about $20ea and your local parts house can get them within a coupla days no problem(if they don't have them on hand aleady)...ken....
NorCalTodd2011
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:05 pm    Post subject: Shocks Reply with quote

The 5752 shocks are too short for the spindles that Russell builds. Stock length oil shocks should work just fine. He down not change the locator of the shock mounts.
If you have lowered the front end further than yes the 5752 will work.
madjon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input. It sounds like shorter shocks may not be needed, which makes sense. Its just that I am a little surprised that going from a 3 spline drop with regular shocks and regular stock spindles, to the Oldspeed spindles, that therefore do not need such a big of a spline turn to achieve the same kind of drop, with the same shocks, that the ride is so markedly different. It feels less plush than it was. That is counter intuitive.
madjon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Greetings Reply with quote

ALLWAGONS wrote:
Hello Madjon,

I saw your squareback by the SP High School. I also live in So Pas and have a '65 sunroof Variant and know others that have type 3's in the area. Nice to see a decent square around.

Martin

Thank you. That would be my son who lives there and is driving the Squareback
luckystiff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madjon wrote:
Thanks for the input. It sounds like shorter shocks may not be needed, which makes sense. Its just that I am a little surprised that going from a 3 spline drop with regular shocks and regular stock spindles, to the Oldspeed spindles, that therefore do not need such a big of a spline turn to achieve the same kind of drop, with the same shocks, that the ride is so markedly different. It feels less plush than it was. That is counter intuitive.

that is a bit suprising and should be the opposite of what i would expect. any chance something is binding somewhere?
madjon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luckystiff wrote:
madjon wrote:

that is a bit suprising and should be the opposite of what i would expect. any chance something is binding somewhere?

Yes. One of the shocks was not moving freely. Once that was sorted it tides great.
rays-64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Shocks for Oldspeed drop spindles Reply with quote

I'm running the old speed drop spindles along with 2 clicks down. I went with the stock oil shocks (way to soft). Went to the Monroe 5752 shock. Is it normal to have to raise lower control arm about 1 1/2" up with jack to get shock holes to line up to fit the 5752 shock??
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: