Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Lovely day of shopping for the wife...
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know. I just got this car for less than the cost of a new Camry. 19k miles on it.

I think its a tad prettier Twisted Evil

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

If I can get 100k out if it in the next few years I will be happy.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:

Pretty decent when new.... but as they dont mechanically age gracefully

VANOS, water cooled alternators, crappy oil changes, timing chain failure...

they are all the same. problem is, joe public eat's the bullshit pie that mfg's claim 7,8,15k oil changes. most issues are so self inflicted it's sad....

these euro's have been paying my bills for a long, long time...I pray people keep buying them Very Happy

the worst is the poser's...the guys who went from a Honda to a bmw/Volvo etc...they have no idea what it costs to maintain these toilets. no fear, I will be there to plunge the turd (and your wallet) when the need arises Laughing

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its funny how every mechanic who works on certain cars always calls them turds.

Honda mechanics call Hondas turds (bad trannys, terrible paint, etc). Toyota mechanics call Toyotas turds (valve seals, oil consumption, etc).

I think its like cops who think everyone is a criminal. You see enough bad things in your line of work you expect them all to be bad.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jspbtown wrote:
Its funny how every mechanic who works on certain cars always calls them turds. .

and

Toyota puts turd right on the side of their own truck.. Laughing

TRD = Turd..
And Fords replacement transmissions are called...
wait for it... wait for it.....
F.A.R.T. 's
Ford Authorized Replacement Transmission...

Laughing

I'm GM tech... (mainly)
Yep we have some turds.. all manufactures do.. Some more than others.

Ill give the Euros points for aesthetic body styles and sleak looks.... but nothing else.
I'd ship em all to skills... Wink if he/she were closer.

We left the cookie cutter Hondas.. to vehicles with more style we liked... and yes high end GM and yes more maintenance..
Not really for me though as I even over maintained my Hondas...

If you properly maintain ANY vehicle.. chances are it will outlast you..
You all drive the "Extreme Conditions" side of the maintenance chart..
And even then.. its not really enough...

Sorry for the topic... Hi-Jack... now back to the Porsche whoa is me saga.. Laughing
Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited

Last edited by VOLKSWAGNUT on Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:44 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jspbtown wrote:
Its funny how every mechanic who works on certain cars always calls them turds.

Honda mechanics call Hondas turds (bad trannys, terrible paint, etc). Toyota mechanics call Toyotas turds (valve seals, oil consumption, etc).

I think its like cops who think everyone is a criminal. You see enough bad things in your line of work you expect them all to be bad.

ahhh.....what we see is bullshit stuff that SHOULD NOT break and leave you stranded. have you had the pleasure of replacing the PLASTIC cooling pipes under your intake in that Porsche? really best to remove (yes, remove) the engine and do all of them. the ones on the back of the heads are impossible to do in place

I could go on and on about stuff, but what bother. I need people with means so I can slowly bleed them financially because they "love" the car. as a tech, there is so much crap that is poorly made that should last the life of the car.

if I am going to shell out north of 40k for a car, it would be for something that when I drop the hammer the tires blow off the thing and I am pointing at the moon, not something that the parts are NLA in 10 years.

just tried to get a CAT for a 02 Volvo...NLA and aftermarket cats blow CEL's for catalyst efficiency codes. try telling that to a customer...can't pass emissions because your parts are obsolete. buy you're ok with scrapping your well maintained 112k mile car, right?

sorry, rant over. as big of a dick as I come across as, I really do feel bad when good people have to pay the price for shitty politics/policy's. it does such a disservice to hard working folks.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:

ahhh.....what we see is bullshit stuff that SHOULD NOT break and leave you stranded. .

^ Word!.. Confused Wink

WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I have been really lucky.

No plastic coolant pipes for me. I did my research. Wrong years and wrong engine. I did have the center driveshaft bearing go and I replaced that myself. Kinda pricey but real easy. Its never been in the shop and has never broken down (knock wood). Although I hate doing the oil changes! I will get my 100k miles out of it and move it along. Just like all my other cars

Never paid $40k for a car. That includes me M3, my Jag, my MB, my Land Rover, my FX45, my Porsche, my SC430 or my BMW. Never paid more than the price of a new Camry for any of them. None of them ever went to a garage for service. I do my own oil changes and brakes. My MB once had a $28 sensor go though.

When my Ford Sport Trac started with the rattling timing chain at 40k miles I kinda swore off new cars. I will take a better car which already had its depreciation anyday. And that car was after my new Bravada chucked a tranny at 6000 miles.

I appreciate your post Skills. It brings me back to my days in an Oldsmobile/Pontiac dealership and the guys I worked with. It was a great time in my life.

Now back to the Porsche drama......Did I mention how big of a TURD a Fiat is??? Very Happy
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend only keeps his cars a couple of years, because he uses it for his business and can take advantage of company reimbursements and tax write offs. The number of bells and whistles on this car is unbelievable, and I shudder to think what it would cost to fix everything that can go wrong after a couple of years.

Things like electric window shades that come out of the sills and roll up and down on the rear windows, separate climate control for each occupant, seat heaters and coolers, all manner of accent, courtesy and reading lights, heads up displays, cameras everywhere to assist in parking and backing up, sensors to detect cars ahead of and alongside the car, soft touch door closing assist...the list goes on forever.

How many of these things will still be functional in 15 years? I bet not a whole lot. But my friend will never know, because he'll probably trade it in a couple of years down the road. Unless, God forbid, his car gets damaged like the OP's car. Then he'll find out how many things need to be repaired besides the obvious damage.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.

Last edited by 79SuperVert on Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

79SuperVert wrote:
But my friend will never know, because he'll probably trade it in a couple of years down the road. .

Bic Lighter syndrome... is the current course of the future..

Use it.. once your done.. toss it.. Mad

Usually and often edited
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you are smart for dumping them at the 100k mark. problem is, the guys after you are the guys I get. mostly the "poser" crowd who doesn't have a grip on what it takes to fix "just an oil leak"

vert guy...you are right but it's worse than that...for example:

just did a car where the cluster took the network down. what's that mean? it means your power doors, windows, sunroof, climate control are knocked out.

it will however run and shift, but you can't pass smog because 1) the CEL won't illuminate and 2) the ECU flags a code for a malfunction in the CEL circuit.

it's crazy. the training is insane, you need a 5,000+ lab scope to diag most of this crap then when you do find the issue, it need software loaded into the car.

somehow, this is "better" and I understand Ethernet is in my future. it just will never end....

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well 3 weeks to the day I am scheduled to get the wife's car back today. According to the shop I will be getting $73 back from them...so no $500 deductible out of my pocket!

That apparently includes them mounting and balancing the 4 tires that I had shipped to their facility. It will be interesting to see how good it came out. For $6700+ I am hoping darn good.

The wife will be happy to get out at that tin can she has been driving.

For me I get the car back two days before we head out on vacation. I need to give it an oil change and try to fit the cargo carrier onto the rack.

Right down to the wire.
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jspbtown wrote:
When my Ford Sport Trac started with the rattling timing chain at 40k miles I kinda swore off new cars.

Lucky you got to 40K. I sat next to the 4.0L hotline guys when I was at Ford. The were giving away engines to dealerships by the shipping container. When the supply the was boated over ran dry they would charter cargo plane loads of them over. They had customers that went in for oil changes and got new engines, some had 3-4 engine changes in less than a year!!!! Bad timing chain guides, sprockets that were improperly hardened, valves that missed the stem coating process and a "few" other issues. I am surprised they did not do a change and rename the engine like happened to the 3.8L after the headgasket debacle.

Porsche, a friend bought a CPO Cayenne and dumped it after a year and a half. It was in for warranty service to the tune of $55K in that short time!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People seem to say Porsche is an issue. I have put about 70k on mine with no issues other than the center driveshaft bearing that I replaced.

Its been a real nice car and is excellent in the snow.
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well kinda good news and kinda bad news.....

Kinda bad news: At final inspection they found a small (pencil eraser) defect on the bumper cover so it needs a repaint. Since I am going on a 1500 mile vacation on Friday I took the car and need to bring it back when I get back for 2 days. They were the ones who spotted it so I gotta give them some credit. of course they had it for 3 weeks and they spot it on the day I am supposed to pick it up.

Kinda good news: I got $75 BACK from the repair place. No deductible due to some creative math I guess. So I did some fuzzy math:

Cost of rental.................................................$525.00
Gas savings ($75 per week x 3 weeks)............-$225.00
Value of mounted/balanced tires done at shop..-$100.00
Refund from shop..........................................-$ 75.00
Alignment (would have done with new tires).... - $75.00

Total out of pocket........................................$50.00
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I had the $$ to go shoping for a new wife....new car too Wink
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:40 pm    Post subject: Lovely day of shopping for the wife... Reply with quote

jspbtown wrote:
People seem to say Porsche is an issue. I have put about 70k on mine with no issues other than the center driveshaft bearing that I replaced.

Its been a real nice car and is excellent in the snow.

I own 2 Porsches. They are a combined 105 years old. They are both still going strong. Case closed.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to put a few miles on my porche......Ill probably be dead befor I finish it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: