Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Misc. parts Seat glide and transmission switch
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:31 am    Post subject: Misc. parts Seat glide and transmission switch Reply with quote

I'm not set up to do pictures, but I was wondering if anyone had these parts in there collection. One is the plastic seat glide part number 411-801-213, and the other is the switch the gear shift makes contact with in neutral to start engine, and contact in reverse to turn the backup lights on, part number 411-927-147. Mine is so worn it won't make contact on reverse, and sometimes fails to make contact in neutral to start. I have a bypass switch for this just in case. Part of the problem is also with the little----guess you would call it the spring loaded striker on the base of the gear shift that makes contact with the switch. It's also worn----but it's really a small item, and you better have string on the spring if i's removed.

I've had some success in spot soldering a drop of solder on the worn parts, but I'm a little clumsy with doing that, and don't do the best job.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have a few of the slider feet. The actual part # should be 411 881 213 ....you have a number off.

According to the parts book....the shifter switch that controls starting in park is 311 927 145.

the contact carrier plate is 311 927 147 to chassis # 411 2100 000 and 311 927 147 A from chassis # 412 2000 001

The switches and switch plate themselves are a type 3 part.

That being said....you can also if memory serves....jumper wire around them so the car is able to start without the shifter being in any particular position....but you better remember to have it in neutral or park.

If memory serves many of the type 3 cars had the wiring harness or selector lever set up differently that only allowed starting in neutral. The type 4's start in park using the same switches.

I will see if I have a shifter plate switch.

It is also odd....that they went to this arcane method. Must have been a safety issue. It would seem to me...that since the shift cable and shifter lever on the automatic transmission have to be in a very specific position to put the trans in the proper gear...a pair of simple micro switches on the trans shift level with a rubber boot....could have accomplished this just as easily

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Place WTB (want to buy) ads in the appropriate section of the Classifieds. You can see they are separated out into a separate category by EverettB! Cool
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:48 am    Post subject: Misc. parts Seat glide and transmission switch Reply with quote

I stand corrected on the part numbers. I looked again on the old broken parts I have, and with mag. glass I see your right. As I mentioned I rigged a bypass switch like you said. That was very simple, but as you said you must remember when it's on. I'm working on the idea of a switch with a red light on it. I broke my seat glides the last time I removed the seats----I got a little clumsy reinstalling them and broke a couple of them.
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:13 am    Post subject: Misc. parts Seat glide and transmission switch Reply with quote

Forgot to mention: There is two contact points on the switch. One is for the back-up lights, and the other for start, and start is in the neutral position, not park. There is no contact point in park. That's the way it is on the part from my car, a 71 411. Of course the switch ending in "A" would work too.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.....yours is the same as most (if not all) type 3. The 1972 and later 411/412....had the switch on the park position. The 1971 was the first model year available in the US. Lots of little things changed by 1972.

It probably did not take VW very long to realize.....that American drivers are not as fastidious German drivers Laughing .......the average American rarely if ever thinkscabout applying the parking brake for any reason on a vehicle with automatic transmission. ....which WILL cause a few rolling and dinged vehicles when the driver shifts info neutral to start and doesnt have their foot on the brake or parking brake on. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:19 am    Post subject: Misc. parts Seat glide and transmission switch Reply with quote

I can't figure out how to remove the shifter switch part no ending in 145, and find no instructions in any manuals I have. There is a new switch ending in 145A available which fits other vehicles, but is different than the 145. Looks like it has to slide to the top of the gear lever, but how to release it to slide haven't figured out. it also holds down the spring on bottom of lever. Does this part come out or must it be left alone. Looks like it might twist one way or the other to be removed. The spring backed contact is what is going bad-----it has worn grooves at the contact point, and they don't always make contact. If necessary I could remove the contact part from a new one and install it on mine
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Misc. parts Seat glide and transmission switch Reply with quote

titan3c wrote:
I can't figure out how to remove the shifter switch part no ending in 145, and find no instructions in any manuals I have. There is a new switch ending in 145A available which fits other vehicles, but is different than the 145. Looks like it has to slide to the top of the gear lever, but how to release it to slide haven't figured out. it also holds down the spring on bottom of lever. Does this part come out or must it be left alone. Looks like it might twist one way or the other to be removed. The spring backed contact is what is going bad-----it has worn grooves at the contact point, and they don't always make contact. If necessary I could remove the contact part from a new one and install it on mine

From what I can see from the parts guide...the starter inhibitor switch must slide up the shaft to allow what is underneath to be removed. i will look in some of my other books this evening. Ray
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a pair of the seat glides for you. PM me and I will drop them in the mail. Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: