Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Allstate single wheel service parts list / set up tips
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dubshack1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, anyone happen to have an extra wheel assembly laying around? The aluminum on mine has become brittle and is cracking, if so please contact me asap, thanks
VWaztec
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got an Allstate trailer, but didn't come with the mounting brackets. If anybody has them or knows where I can get them please let me know. Thanks
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VWaztec wrote:
I just got an Allstate trailer, but didn't come with the mounting brackets. If anybody has them or knows where I can get them please let me know. Thanks

A picture of the original bracket from the allstate owners manual was frighteningly frail, especially if the tongues did not line up with the car's existing bumper brackets. I made mine from bed rail angle iron. Very solid.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

There is a bolt that does not show on this picture, trust me, there are three bolts going into the bumper bracket.
Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swivel trailers need two mounts one on each side. I have some of the clamp on bumper mounts but they don't instill much confidence and my bumper is weak so they are not going to work for my bus. I'm building a hitch right now that will allow for a t bar to be used for the single wheels. It will center mount in a receiver but have the ends for the swivel trailer to attach.
Here is the old bumper mounts

Here is the t bar with 2 different style mounts. One is the style for my Allstate and the other is for my Rose Trailerette.

1961 Swivel Seat camper, L345 grey
Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
Swivel Seat panels are for people with no friends Crying or Very sad
mcdronkz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got some questions about the swivel point.

1) Does the trailer swivel freely or is there noticeable friction?

2) Does the Allstate trailer use one or two bearings at the swivel point?

3) I've seen someone use a needle thrust bearing. When the trailer is moving, there is also radial load on the bearing, right? If so, are those thrust bearings appropriate for this application?
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcdronkz wrote:

3) I've seen someone use a needle thrust bearing. When the trailer is moving, there is also radial load on the bearing, right? If so, are those thrust bearings appropriate for this application?

I have my lock nut tightened so there is just a wee bit of friction. It is a castle nut so one more notch looser is definitely too loose. I added grease fittings to the swivel mechanism and it does benefit from a squirt every 3000 miles, like the manual says and conveniently when I need an oil change on the bug.

My trailer is using a plain bearing on the swivel points, cast iron with a lot of grease sliding against cast iron.

That needle thrust bearing would be awesome in this application, although having to cut down the cast iron to compensate for the thickness might be an issue.

mcdronkz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
mcdronkz wrote:

I have my lock nut tightened so there is just a wee bit of friction. It is a castle nut so one more notch looser is definitely too loose. I added grease fittings to the swivel mechanism and it does benefit from a squirt every 3000 miles, like the manual says and conveniently when I need an oil change on the bug.

My trailer is using a plain bearing on the swivel points, cast iron with a lot of grease sliding against cast iron.

That needle thrust bearing would be awesome in this application, although having to cut down the cast iron to compensate for the thickness might be an issue.

Great post, thanks a lot man!

On your pictures, I see part 19 (middle right) on this diagram. The parts list states that it is a "pivot washer".

Does the fork actually pivot on that washer? That would make it a plain bearing, right? Is it lubricated as well? Would a rolling bearing be considered an upgrade?

Just FYI, I don't have an Allstate trailer, I'm just trying to design a similar trailer myself since they are hard to come by in the Netherlands.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes that pivot washer is really covered in grease and is pivoting along with the rest of the assembly.

Semi tractor-trailer trucks use this plain greased plate with no issues. I think the roller bearings are adding complication without adding value.

These swivel trailers can develop a horrendous osculation. I would think the plain bearing having a wee bit of friction would dampen that a bit. Weight helps dampen the oscillation a lot. When I got the trailer they had a lightweight fiberglass clam shell and if you hit a bump at even as slow as 35 the trailer would shake violently the only way to stop the shaking was to come to a complete stop and start driving again. I have since added a wooden box, looks just like it did in 1959. That wooden box really helps keep things under control at speed. I think I calculated the weight of the box at 40 pounds. I still dread interstate construction zones where I am hitting bumps at 55 mph with no shoulder. I can still get an oscillation with an empty box, but it takes more than 1 single bump to get the thing shaking. No issues when I have some weight, normally 80 pounds in the trailer.
mcdronkz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question: would a steel wheelbarrow wheel be appropriate for a single wheel trailer? It will of course be fitted with a decent trailer tire.

Would such a wheel be able to withstand a speed of ± 60 mph? Would the stock bearings be good enough?
vintagevwnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would stay away from wheel barrow parts. I don't believe they will hold up and not dot approved.
mcdronkz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vintagevwnut wrote:
I would stay away from wheel barrow parts. I don't believe they will hold up and not dot approved.

Do you have an alternative? A steel wheel suitable for a 4.00/4.80-8 pneumatic tire that uses a simple axle without a brake drum.
vintagevwnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope I sold my extra one for the Allstate.

My Heilite does have a spare though luckily.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcdronkz wrote:
vintagevwnut wrote:

Do you have an alternative? A steel wheel suitable for a 4.00/4.80-8 pneumatic tire that uses a simple axle without a brake drum.

A moped front wheel would be about right.
vintagevwnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea on the moped wheel. I'm sure there's a front one out there that can be adapted.
Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe try a cushman scooter wheel, the tires are available in the right size for sure from a Cushman.
1961 Swivel Seat camper, L345 grey
Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
Swivel Seat panels are for people with no friends Crying or Very sad
Mark Evans Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Allstate single wheel service parts list / set up tips Reply with quote

Just found a replacement wheel for my Allstate setup through Home Depot. They're sold as log splitter wheels, complete with rim/bearings/tire for less than $75. May need just a few spacers for correct clearances.
vintagevwnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Allstate single wheel service parts list / set up tips Reply with quote

Sweet. What size tire l?
Mark Evans Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Allstate single wheel service parts list / set up tips Reply with quote

They're only available on the website. Listed as 4.80x8, comes in 2 size bearing diameters, 3/4" and 1". Ordered mine for $61.97 with free shipping! If anything will make a good spare. Tried to copy and paste but not too good at the 'puter stuff.
CaLiBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Allstate single wheel service parts list / set up tips Reply with quote

Mark Evans wrote:
They're only available on the website. Listed as 4.80x8, comes in 2 size bearing diameters, 3/4" and 1". Ordered mine for $61.97 with free shipping! If anything will make a good spare. Tried to copy and paste but not too good at the 'puter stuff.

I would be cautious buying a wheel not meant for trailers. The load and bouncing around on the road could nock the bearings out after about 300 miles or so. Just had this happen to me with some bozo who swapped the original trailer wheel with a wheel barrel just before he sold it to me Evil or Very Mad
vintagevwnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Allstate single wheel service parts list / set up tips Reply with quote

Very true. And I sort of supposed it was for a trailer style log splitter. But others yes be very careful when selecting a wheel for a trailer, make sure it is intended for road use, D.O.T. Approved.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 9 of 12

Jump to: