Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Stupid Question Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 127, 128, 129  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JonathanDP81
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:09 pm    Post subject: Super Beetle interior room Reply with quote

I was wondering if the interior room in the Super Beetles is any different from the Standards. I'm thinking not, since I believe I heard they're the same from the behind the cowl.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Super Beetle interior room Reply with quote

JonathanDP81 wrote:
I was wondering if the interior room in the Super Beetles is any different from the Standards. I'm thinking not, since I believe I heard they're the same from the behind the cowl.

Ok, I have to ask, Why does it matter?

Are you attempting to stuff as many people in a bug as possible, in which case the curved windshield would buy a couple of square inches.
JonathanDP81
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Super Beetle interior room Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
JonathanDP81 wrote:

Are you attempting to stuff as many people in a bug as possible, in which case the curved windshield would buy a couple of square inches.

I'm large, having more room in a car is nice and I wanted to know. I'm guessing you're saying there isn't a difference in an unhelpful way?
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Super Beetle interior room Reply with quote

JonathanDP81 wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
JonathanDP81 wrote:

I'm large, having more room in a car is nice and I wanted to know. I'm guessing you're saying there isn't a difference in an unhelpful way?

Wilt Chamberlain fits.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Super Beetle interior room Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:

Wilt Chamberlain fits.

I don't think that's what the ad says... Confused

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
Andrew4456
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 70's 1600 engine I'm trying to remove the valves on I managed to get one out with an overhead spring compressor but the other 3 in the cylinder head refuse to come out. The other 3 valves when the spring gets compressed the valve cotter doesn't rise at all and the spring cap and the valve moves as a unit, I am not sure how to get these out.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew4456 wrote:
I have a 70's 1600 engine I'm trying to remove the valves on I managed to get one out with an overhead spring compressor but the other 3 in the cylinder head refuse to come out. The other 3 valves when the spring gets compressed the valve cotter doesn't rise at all and the spring cap and the valve moves as a unit, I am not sure how to get these out.

I am assuming the head is off. Hit the valve with a rubber mallet from the piston side. It will unseat those jammed retainers.
RyanFLuX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:25 pm    Post subject: beginner VW enthusiast needs answere to his stupid questions Reply with quote

So, i have a 1973 VW Beetle. it came with a 34pict-3 carburetor. after driving it rough one night (i had also forgotten to take off the emergency brake, i will probably go to a special place in hell Germany has created for people that do that) my car began have some serious troubles. The car began having a hard time holding an idle, and unless i kept reving the engine, it would putter out.

i had showed my landlord, who also is a bug enthusiast. he assured me it was a carburetor issue. So i bought a new carburetor. I'm an idiot and didn't think to look at the 34pict-3 dual port carburetor that was already on the car and ended up buying a 30pict-1 single port.

After trying to put it on and realizing it didnt fit i bought an adapter that was able to fit it on. However, this is where we get to the meat of my question, the 30pict-1 does not have an IDLE SOLONOID CUTTOFF like my original 34pict-3 carb does, so the wire that is suppose to plug into the solonoid is just hanging out with no where to go. Coincidentally my car, ever since i put the new carb on, will not turnover whenever i try to start it.

My question is, is it safe to assume that my car wont start because that plug is not connected to a solonoid cuttoff? AND i was told that the carb that i purchased, 30pict-1, would work for my bug, so is there any other solution to the problem besides just buying a 34pict-3 carb. and lastly, Based on my vague and obscure symptoms i explained does it indeed sound like a carburetor issue?
Hnoroian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:19 am    Post subject: Re: beginner VW enthusiast needs answere to his stupid quest Reply with quote

RyanFLuX wrote:
So, i have a 1973 VW Beetle. it came with a 34pict-3 carburetor. after driving it rough one night (i had also forgotten to take off the emergency brake, i will probably go to a special place in hell Germany has created for people that do that) my car began have some serious troubles. The car began having a hard time holding an idle, and unless i kept reving the engine, it would putter out.

i had showed my landlord, who also is a bug enthusiast. he assured me it was a carburetor issue. So i bought a new carburetor. I'm an idiot and didn't think to look at the 34pict-3 dual port carburetor that was already on the car and ended up buying a 30pict-1 single port.

After trying to put it on and realizing it didnt fit i bought an adapter that was able to fit it on. However, this is where we get to the meat of my question, the 30pict-1 does not have an IDLE SOLONOID CUTTOFF like my original 34pict-3 carb does, so the wire that is suppose to plug into the solonoid is just hanging out with no where to go. Coincidentally my car, ever since i put the new carb on, will not turnover whenever i try to start it.

My question is, is it safe to assume that my car wont start because that plug is not connected to a solonoid cuttoff? AND i was told that the carb that i purchased, 30pict-1, would work for my bug, so is there any other solution to the problem besides just buying a 34pict-3 carb. and lastly, Based on my vague and obscure symptoms i explained does it indeed sound like a carburetor issue?

Have any spark? Fried your coil from the idle solenoid Wire grounding out maybe. Also readjust the carb back to fresh factory settings
RyanFLuX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: beginner VW enthusiast needs answere to his stupid quest Reply with quote

Quote:
Have any spark? Fried your coil from the idle solenoid Wire grounding out maybe. Also readjust the carb back to fresh factory settings

Thank you for your suggestion

is there a test that i can do to see if the coil still works? Also, i'm not too familiar with carb adjusting, so i'm not really sure what the original settings were for the carb, can that be easily found of youtube?

I've literally been fixing my car using those youtube videos lol
DPJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, for all you gear heads, this will actually be a stupid question.

I just got the little 79 super and will redo the brakes at the back first.
I have seen the tool to get the hubcaps off without damaging them. The tool is on its way together with the replacement parts for the drums.
Now, the stupid question, is there a technique to put the hubcap back on without denting it?

Just pushing and hitting it doesn't seem to work.
I saw 2 movies, in the first they where just hitting it full force with their shoes (which I don't wan to do), in the other one it went quite gently which doesn't work on mine.

Is there a technique or am I too gentle with my new love?
DPJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2nd stupid question of the day.

What tools are actually needed to dismantle the wheel/drum brakes for a super 79?
I have my replacement parts and would like to have my tools in-house when the parts arrive. I feel an emotional urge to work on my Beetle Smile

Things I am looking for beside basic tools:
250lbs torque wrench 3/4
Got the socket, 36mm
need decent jack

anything else I am in need of?
Volks Wagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:29 am    Post subject: Re: Super Beetle interior room Reply with quote

JonathanDP81 wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
JonathanDP81 wrote:

The Super has a greater distance from occupant to windshield. For the most part of your body there's no real space difference, but if you have a particularly large or bulbous head like Tweety bird, oddly protruding nose or lips, or you would find the 1303 dash a handy support for a ginormous double chin, then the Super is best for you. I should have been in VW marketing, nah?

I'm definitely, probably, the worlds greatest lover.

Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
Volks Wagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DPJ wrote:

I have seen the tool to get the hubcaps off without damaging them. The tool is on its way together with the replacement parts for the drums.
Now, the stupid question, is there a technique to put the hubcap back on without denting it?

I saw 2 movies, in the first they where just hitting it full force with their shoes (which I don't wan to do), in the other one it went quite gently which doesn't work on mine.

I just wallop mine with the palm of my hand.

[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:00 am    Post subject: Re: beginner VW enthusiast needs answere to his stupid quest Reply with quote

RyanFLuX wrote:
Quote:

Thank you for your suggestion

is there a test that i can do to see if the coil still works? Also, i'm not too familiar with carb adjusting, so i'm not really sure what the original settings were for the carb, can that be easily found of youtube?

I've literally been fixing my car using those youtube videos lol

Best most accurate test for a coil. Disconnect a spark plug wire and plug a spark plug into it. Hold the spark plug to ground, holding on to the rubber boot and have someone get in the car and turn over the engine. You should see bright blue spark. No spark or weak yellow spark is not good enough.

Disconnecting the wire from the solenoid will not prevent the starter from turning over. Most likely you left the car on when messing with it last time and drained the battery.
NYPATER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volks Wagen wrote:
DPJ wrote:

I just wallop mine with the palm of my hand.

I live with the dents and dings. They add to the story. Like all the trim dings my son has managed to add every time he gets out of the other car. Blah.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do they get and who gives long-time samba posters nicknames like "samba postman" and others? Think

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
totodile493
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:22 pm    Post subject: Unidentified Timing Light Clip Reply with quote

I was about to do the timing on my Super Beetle, but there was some kind of fourth clip. I don't want to wreck anything. I found the timing light in a car I was working on a few years back. It didn't have the manual.

What is this thing for?

totodile493
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To answer my own question, I've heard some people say it goes on the negative contact of the coil.
Volks Wagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try it on your nipple?

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 127, 128, 129  Next
Jump to:
Page 22 of 129

Jump to: