Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

A Brief Stop on the Road From Auschwitz book cover
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:01 pm    Post subject: A Brief Stop on the Road From Auschwitz book cover Reply with quote

This is a book about a holocaust survivor.

For a generation the VW Beetle was associated with Germany, a subset with Nazi Germany.

But it seems out of place, or at least sloppy history, to associate the Beetle with Auschwitz. It even looks to be an Oval, built eight years after the war ended.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I have not read the book to see if he drove this car after the war, but that seems doubtful.

Last edited by KTPhil on Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:50 am; edited 1 time in total
pb_foots
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. The whole "Hitler's revenge' BS was never a Jewish thing as far as I know, I only heard it from rednecks.

I haven't read the book, so maybe there's a connection there that's not mentioned in the short review on that page?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
static
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pb_foots wrote:
Agreed. The whole "Hitler's revenge' BS was never a Jewish thing as far as I know, I only heard it from rednecks.

I haven't read the book, so maybe there's a connection there that's not mentioned in the short review on that page?

http://www.volkswagenag.com/content/vwcorp/info_ce...r_2013.pdf
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

static wrote:
pb_foots wrote:

No slight against the victims your link describes, but I don't see how it answers my question about this book's postwar portrayal of the victims. Forced labor in the VW plant is clear, but I don't believe it happened in the 1950s as the cover photo vaguely suggests.
static
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was not responding to you, which is why I didn't quote you.

It appears your complaint is with the newspaper using an erroneous illustration.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

static wrote:
I was not responding to you, which is why I didn't quote you.

It appears your complaint is with the newspaper using an erroneous illustration.

Thanks for clarifying. It's an ugly story of ugly times and something we must not forget, lest we repeat it.

My compliant, though, is not with the newspaper, but with the book (publisher/author): the illustration is of the book cover itself, which has a postwar Bug. Just seems strange and a misplaced association, at least for those who know the whole story-- the good, bad and ugly.
pb_foots
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

static wrote:
pb_foots wrote:

I'll stand by my statement. My Father drove VWs almost his whole adult life and parked them in front of Temple every Saturday. not once did we hear any crap from my Jewish friends, but the yellow teeth overall crowd in HS used to love to give me crap about them.

There's no question that German industry used slave labor but I don't see a picture of a Krups coffee maker on that book, or 'The Ultimate driving machine' or Bayer aspirin, who did in fact use labor from Auschwitz. The VW is a device to grab your eye, and an unfair target in this case.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
static
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's true.

The early VW dealers on the East Coast were all (as far as I know) Jewish (as am I.)
pb_foots
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's funny is that I had ex Navy relatives that wouldn't drive a Toyota to save their lives and thought it was an insult that Mitsubishi even existed, but my father used to drive VWs, and the only complaint I ever heard from my grandfather was that it was too cold. he used to get into the squareback and start bitching at my dad, "what, you hanging meat in here or something?"
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: