Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What is Your Integrity Worth?
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hmosss
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:21 pm    Post subject: What is Your Integrity Worth? Reply with quote

So i saw a Post on PelicanParts and the message reads;

Say you listed a kinda rare part for sale, dropped the price a few times, then someone agrees to buy that part at your last advertised price.
Someone else comes along and offers more, how much would it take for you to break your word to the 1st COMMITTED buyer and sell to someone else??
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stick with your deal.

1. If you have to keep lowering the price.....then either the market will not currently bear that price.....so your main option ....if you must have maximum $ to cover what YOU paid for said part.....is to throw it back on the shelf and wait.

2. If you have to keep lowering the price......make sure that YOU did not pay too much for the part. If thats the case.....tough. Should have done your homework. Options are to keep it, sell it for a fair price at a loss or wait for another poorly researched sucker to come along.

3.if the price for the part is fair for the quality and availability....Dont get in a hurry. Just because you need X $ in Y amount of time.....does not mean that a fair minded buyer will be there within the frame of mind you need the cash in.

You may just be running into the average cheap assholes. You may be advertising the part poorly, incorrectly or in the wrong places for what the part is.

The cars I work on are harder to find parts for than most of the 911,912 and 914. There are no repro parts made for 411 and 412.

I shop accordingly. I research what it will cost....ME.....to find or manufacture a part I need....that I might find for sale...say...on e-bay. I then look at my budget...and balance my knowledge. I know exactly what I have to spend and what its worth.

If the reserve is larger than my budget or.....if its marginally within the budget but grossly higher than the part is worth....and the part is not "hens tooth" rare......I turn the page and walk away without skipping a beat.

If its within the budget and worth the price.....and it has a "buy-it-now" price.....I buy it immediately. ...no screwing around.

Auctions are for losers. If you need something, its rare and affordable to you now. ...buy it. I laugh at the poor bastards who whine that they lost something rare they have been waiting eons for.....to a sniper in the last 3 seconds....trying to save $35 off a buy it now price.

If its an auction only....and its within the budget....I bet the budget and walk away. If its slow to rise or I am one of the few bidders...but watch only the last 2 minutes. If its threatening to go over my highest bid.....I dont need it.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: What is Your Integrity Worth? Reply with quote

hmosss wrote:
Say you listed a kinda rare part for sale, dropped the price a few times, then someone agrees to buy that part at your last advertised price.
Someone else comes along and offers more, how much would it take for you to break your word to the 1st COMMITTED buyer and sell to someone else??

No amount.

The only time I can think of that I have broken an agreement is due to no response.
For instance, a buyer agrees to buy something and then doesn't pay or contact me for a week, even after one or more emails to check in.
Assuming they saw the ad and it's current price, I wouldn't sell it for more than I was asking either. I can see trouble down the road doing that.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hmosss
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies guys!
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So.....tell us the story Wink
Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: