Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

RWD winter debate?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
Again....do some research. Really!

?

I have. I also have many real-life miles behind the wheel in shitty weather conditions. I know what tires work best for my situations, and my vehicles.I had a much wider snow tire on my truck when I first got it. They sucked in fluffy snow conditions, but were great in the slop and mud. My current tires are Kumho Izen-somethin-or-others. They are excellent. But I take them off in the summer for a tire that runs better on hot dry pavement.

Yes, I know that modern rubber technology allows for running a snow tire year round, but I prefer to keep them separate. They last longer, and snow tires are cheap when you buy them used.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:
Again....do some research. Really!

?

I have. I also have many real-life miles behind the wheel in shitty weather conditions. I know what tires work best for my situations, and my vehicles.I had a much wider snow tire on my truck when I first got it. They sucked in fluffy snow conditions, but were great in the slop and mud. My current tires are Kumho Izen-somethin-or-others. They are excellent. But I take them off in the summer for a tire that runs better on hot dry pavement.

Yes, I know that modern rubber technology allows for running a snow tire year round, but I prefer to keep them separate. They last longer, and snow tires are cheap when you buy them used.

Yes...I agree with that....I am not suggesting to run snow tires year round....but again....just noting that the lstest generation of snow tires...actually handle so well on dry pavement that you CAN run them in the summer if forced to with very little degradation of dry pavement traction. They are THAT good. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWCOOL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mate this is what you need!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_FftkcIIdg
Zeen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've driven many RWD vehicles in the snow, including a Fox body Mustang. That was probably the worst, but it actually got me to class at Michigan Tech in the U.P. 100 pounds of sand over the power side wheel helped immensely. You can play with the ballast until you get the two sides to balance. Of course modern cars with traction control are much better, but nothing is as fun as a RWD without traction control. I liked to see how long I could stay sideways down my street.

If your job is such that you can't miss work twice a year when the big blizzard hits, get something AWD. If you're cheap and boring, get a a FWD econobox. But if you like a challenge and a little fun, go for RWD and enjoy. And yeah, as has been mentioned, modern snow tires are awesome.
thomas.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just reading this or I would of posted earlier. I have a '95 Mustang GT that I bought new and used in the winter towards the end of the cars life. It came with wide 17's but for the winters I bought used 15 inch wheels from a V6 model. I ran 205/65/15 winter on all 4 and a couple of sand bags and other weight in the trunk. The other big help was the fact it had posi-traction. I was amazed at how well it did . Better than most front drives on the road at the time. The only bad was the salt has trashed the car and I'm ready to sell for parts now or junk. Photo from 2011 I had in my gallery.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: