Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1949 Hebmüller VW Type 14A - Production Number 14-00258
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
René R.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a terrific archive, thanks for posting those!

Back around 1974 I saw a Hebmüller for sale at an antique auto parts dealer in Denver, in an indoor showroom. I regret that I can't remember the name of the business, nor the price of the car. I do remember thinking it was wildly expensive but I would have been thinking in terms of the 1950 sedan I bought for $85 in 1965. I'm sure that by today's standards it was a giveaway. That's actually the only one I've seen outside of pictures.

Does that time and place bring anything to mind?
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, but the car in the avatar is my earliest memory of a split window VW, parked outside Matthy Limbach's house around 1966 or 1967, when it was still painted white.
René R.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're referring to my avatar, that was my own '50 purchased (and photographed) in 1965. Originally Bordeaux Red, painted white for some strange reason. I later repainted it to match the dash.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Back around 1974 I saw a Hebmüller for sale at an antique auto parts dealer in Denver, in an indoor showroom. I regret that I can't remember the name of the business, nor the price of the car. I do remember thinking it was wildly expensive but I would have been thinking in terms of the 1950 sedan I bought for $85 in 1965. I'm sure that by today's standards it was a giveaway. That's actually the only one I've seen outside of pictures.

In '88 I visited a good friend in the Denver area who was the area sales field person for VWoA at the time. We went to a VW dealer in the Denver area owned by a man named Mike. He had a wonderful black with beige-top '49 Heb in a side showroom, with chromed Porsche 356 wheels and several original EMPI gauges installed in the dash/left glove box lid. I don't remember what Mike told me about the car's history. Wonder if it could've been the same car as the one you saw?
René R.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn. I wish I could remember better but I don't even recall the color. I think I'm getting old. Confused
peter schepens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Quote:

In '88 I visited a good friend in the Denver area who was the area sales field person for VWoA at the time. We went to a VW dealer in the Denver area owned by a man named Mike. He had a wonderful black with beige-top '49 Heb in a side showroom, with chromed Porsche 356 wheels and several original EMPI gauges installed in the dash/left glove box lid. I don't remember what Mike told me about the car's history. Wonder if it could've been the same car as the one you saw?

I am not sure but with the description of that heb I can only come up with Heb 309. It was plain black, tan top and was in 82 restored . The wheels in 89 were for sure 356 when it was offered for sale in Denver. The rear window was a curved Karmann convertible window. Car is now again in full resto.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kdf38
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was it McDonald VW?

Denver Dealers

Mountain States Motors, Inc.
Denver Imported Motors
Vern Hagestad Motor Co.
Continental Motors, Inc.
Glenn McDonald

Rome wrote:
Quote:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The McDonald Group acquired Continental Motors in 1997, so it wasn't them.

Mountain States Motors was sold to Emich in 2004

Tynan's is the other Denver-area dealership that's been around for a long time.

The Vern Hagestad complex at 7800 West Colfax went through several ownership changes between the 1970s and ~2000, when Phil Long sold the VW franchise to Jerry Roth and the dealership moved across the street to the old Bob Hagestad Porsche+Audi building and shared space with Roth's Isuzu franchise located there. There was no Hebmüller on any of the showroom floors when Phil Long owned the franchise in the late 1990s.

Since Roland mentioned that the Heb was in a "side showroom," I'm guessing Mike was one of the owners at 7800 W. Colfax between Vern Hagestad and Phil Long.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I unfortunately lost Mike M's business card over the years, and did not have it printed on my 35mm slide storage box. I also checked current VW dealers in the Denver area to look up their "about us" (history) and try to remember where it was. Definitely not Vern Hagestad though. Searched Mike's full name but no links to VW. Sorry... but "Mountain VW" seems to keep recurring as the best of my faint recollection. I will scan my slides of the Heb and post them here; just give me to the weekend since the scanner is at work. The images are quite presentable/well lit/in focus.
vwbusman66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To say that car is badass would be a gross understatement.
Click to view image
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hacksaw-BoB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 27 years I owned the 1949 HEBMÜLLER VW 14-00258, I had a passion for Vintage VWs and to promote the
HEBMÜLLER VW Type 14A . . . . as you can see . . . . HEBMÜLLER VW 14-00258 is the most publicized HEBMÜLLER VW ever.

I went through my HEBMÜLLER VW 14-00258 archives again and found about another two dozen items that I have added to this thread.

I invite you to please go to the "previous page" and from the beginning, check out the new information

that was added here and there . . . . .

http://www.VintageVolkswagenModels.com

Collector of Vintage VW Toys

BoB's Restor-Version Shop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hacksaw-Bob and Peter Schepens- I've scanned the negatives of that black Heb from my trip in '88. I don't want to hijack this thread with my photos. What would you recommend- that I post them here, or start a new thread?

KdF38- you were right with one of the name choices- it was Mountain States Motors!
Hacksaw-BoB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a couple more photos of HEBMÜLLER VW 14-00258 when I first came upon it at the ESSO Tankstelle in Germany . . .

BTW . . that is my blue 1966 VW Sedan, 1300 - 6 volt, with the California flag in the rear window !!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
peter schepens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for searching Bob. Those 2 looks sharp as a needle. Nice ones. Wink Was the red the original color you think?

Greetings Peter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hacksaw-BoB wrote:
I found a couple more photos of HEBMÜLLER VW 14-00258 when I first came upon it at the ESSO Tankstelle in Germany . . .

BTW . . that is my blue 1966 VW Sedan, 1300 - 6 volt, with the California flag in the rear window !!

Wow. That engine on the ground has the rare right hand distributor... Wink

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
Hacksaw-BoB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi splitjunkie

Good observation Exclamation

I think that engine came out of a right hand drive VW Sedan . . . . .

RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the Red BMW behind the Heb rolling on Fuch wheels?
1959 Typ 117
1959 Typ 265
1961 356B
1966 Typ 151
1966 Typ 241
peter schepens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RareAir wrote:
Is the Red BMW behind the Heb rolling on Fuch wheels?

I think it is a Fuchs style wheel cover. You see the circular bumb in the rim from the OG BMW wheel.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: