Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

It's Friday! Whatcha doing with your Thingster this weekend
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zylinderkopf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Citroen: wow-that looks absolutely stunning!
1971 Super Beetle
1974 Thing

"A lot of people never use their initiative because no one told them to."
germanbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The second picture looks like a statue in the park. Very Nice !!
GB
Metal Twister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow what a Nice Looking Thing! That orange really pops! Congrats on a very nice job on a very nice ride! Laughing How does it feel to be driving instead of wrenching? Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great Dennis!!!

I installed my new side stripes from Mike Basso @ Thingparts.com

Didn't get pics with the transfer tape off.... Razz Rolling Eyes the stripe actually grey...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Also got my accessory retro flashlight mounted!! Love this thing!

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8080337#8080337
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
Metal Twister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy them stripes look nice. Really sets off an already good looking ride! Thanks for posting up the pic's!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Metal Twister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey this is a big FRIDAY! Very Happy So anything fun Thing related going on in your area? Or just fun stuff in general? Im tied to the shop getting the back orders finished up and out the door. Man I wish I could go out and play this weekend! So whats going on?
cecil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some Thinger's coming by Sat for BBQ and off to Bug-A-Rama Sunday. Next Sunday to Giants, Padres game. The following weekend to show in Oroville, which should be lot's of fun.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sam_w
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am dropping by Cecil's on the way to bugorama
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Metal Twister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL You dont get the Padres until they are done spanking the Dodgers then it is your turn. Thanks for posting up!
Schwankster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is the 4th annual "Spill Out" VW show in San Antonio this weekend, so I've been polishing the old enamel paint to get a shine out of it, putting on new front turn signal seals, installing a pair of new Hella tail light assemblies, and lots of cleaning, polishing, and waxing!
Metal Twister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck and be sure to post up a pic of the trophy you get! Very Happy
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Putting on soft top if all goes well later today. There are other things I would like to get to, but the soft top is the only thing with any real urgency.

On Friday, I put down a deposit on a 2110cc build.
VolsThing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:42 pm    Post subject: Ron Jon's AirCooled Show Reply with quote

We drove over to Cocoa Beach and hung out with 321 AirCooled Group. Great time and fantastic selection of air-cooled machines.
[/img]
rrankin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a busy Thing weekend. I went to the Austin Aircoolers official meet on Thursday... Great seeing my pals.

Saturday I tried to get the DC socket working and installed a replacement headlight switch, and discovered the dash plug The Thing Shop sent me was a body plug and way to big to plug the hole in my dash. (To be fair the sticker said dash plug so it was likely mislabeled.)

Sunday I installed a new DC Socket and replaced the fuse a few times (see the thread I started on this). Cleaned the oil bath air cleaner out and put fresh oil in it. Convinced myself that I need to do it more than every 6 months based on how much junk was in there... Tightened some hose clamps that seemed loose. Washed the car and scrubbed all the grime off I could. Dressed the top and the wheels too.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Schwankster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Metal Twister wrote:
Good luck and be sure to post up a pic of the trophy you get! Very Happy

No trophy, but made a few new Thing-owner friends and had a GREAT time visiting with folks and checking out all the other (300+) VWs at the show.

Honestly, I was fine at the show not getting any awards, but the drive back home was a little depressing when I thought about all the work (and $$!) I put into getting my Thing "show ready" over the past couple of weeks. Then, as if on cue, I had several people pass me over the next 10 miles while giving me huge smiles and "thumbs-up" signs. Those affirmations of my hard work were worth more than another trophy sitting on a shelf. I drove the rest of the way home with a big smile on my face and went to bed happy last night. It isn't about the trophies, it is about meeting other VW folks, having fun walking the show, and listening to everyone's VW stories at the shows.

I really enjoyed it when a family of five asked if they could do a "test fit" to see if a Thing would work for them. The mom and dad were on the large side (tall and wide), and said their Ghia was just too small. They all climbed in, shut the doors and agreed that a Thing would fit the family very well. They all got out smiling and thanking me for letting them try it out. They said their search for a Thing will start this week!
Metal Twister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bunch of really cool stuff happening this weekend! Very Happy
Soft tops, Cocoa beach... Lots of memories while in and out of Patric AFB,
Seeing buds at Austin Air cooled, and a great drive home after shoe horning in a family of five for a test fit! Just don't know how it could be any better of a weekend than that! Oh unless the 2110 was being delivered to my house! Rolling Eyes

Thanks for the responses, good to know life is being lived and enjoyed out side my shop walls! Whats up for this next weekend? Or maybe I should wait and ask Friday...
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Work and money well spent, Schwankster! You're driving your trophy! Laughing

oasis wrote:
Putting on soft top if all goes well later today. There are other things I would like to get to, but the soft top is the only thing with any real urgency.

On Friday, I put down a deposit on a 2110cc build.

Soft top went on with some clarification help but without too much hubbub. For a technoklutz like me, a few do-overs without doing damage is always a plus.

Today (not Friday, sorry), I ordered the tranny. It's being sent directly to the shop.

I have a few details I want to work out this weekend, weather permitting, before Thing and I go under the knife concurrently. Will report. It'll either be success or funny ... Wink
Metal Twister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another Friday already...

Looks like I will be helping my Son install a set of dana 60s under his Jeep this weekend. Im so fortunate to have a lift, these things are raw tonnage. LOL Have a buddy who just purchased a Manx so we might get to tinker on it for a while. But it is a No-Thing weekend for me once again.

Whats going on with your Thing's this weekend? Cool
lowsquare
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:53 pm    Post subject: THING Dolly Reply with quote

Building a dolly...welder took a crap and the gas regulator froze up on me... But I got most of it built today. Hopefully I'm going to have body / pan separation soon... Very Happy

I'm going to use 2 x 2 angle for the horizontal supports. I'll use citroen's measurements for bolting the body to the dolly.

Thanks Laughing
Metal Twister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: It's Friday! Whatcha doing with your Thingster this weekend Reply with quote

Well its about time to try to focus on the Thing once again. Ive made and changed the build direction several times while finishing up other projects. Right when I wanted to get started life through me another curve ball. So I moved the shop from San Diego to Missouri. The Thing made it on the trailer for one of the trips and now Im glad I kept it.

So its Friday, got the 181 up on the rack and realized the rear piviot points on the trailing arms are all jacked up. Ordered a set of stock arms and will need to spend some time restoring the piviot points that have been hacked out with a cutting disk. What mess! But fixable Shocked

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: