Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Temporary Importation
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wewerecreatures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:09 am    Post subject: Temporary Importation Reply with quote

Before you get all uppity, I searched and read all the "been asked a million times links" within the posts, but nothing answers my question.

I'm a US citizen living in Mexico on the FMM tourist visa (I leave every 6 months to renew) and I've got a 94 T2c with a clear title in my name. I want to drive it up to visit some family and do a bit of surfing.

1) Can a US citizen enter the country with a foreign plated vehicle or does the 1 year temporary importation only apply to foreign residents?

2) Ive read a bit about being able to bring vehicles in to get repairs but it was vague.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:13 am    Post subject: Re: Temporary Importation Reply with quote

wewerecreatures wrote:
1) Can a US citizen enter the country with a foreign plated vehicle ....

Of course you can.
Many US Citizens live in Canada and own cars with plates issued in Canada. Visiting the US isn't a problem with their cars.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wewerecreatures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Temporary Importation Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:

Of course you can.
Many US Citizens live in Canada and own cars with plates issued in Canada. Visiting the US isn't a problem with their cars.

Canada and Mexico are very different places. The CBP website makes it sound like only non-residents of the US can bring in foreign plated vehicles. I sent them and email and they said 2-3 business weeks for a response. Tax dollars hard at work!
pondoras box
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call the Port of Entry you plan to enter through. You should find contact info on CBP.gov

If you can't find a usable number send me a PM.

1961 23 Window (Bobo)
1965 11 Window (Zelda)
1965 13 Window (Lucas)
1957 Oval ragtop
1988 Cabriolet VR6 conversion
Plus a lot of other rusty junk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wewerecreatures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anyone else that may be looking for this information:

As a US citizen you may bring a foreign plated vehicle into the United States for an unlimited amount of time as long as you are in the country as well. How long you can leave the vehicle while you exit the country is determined by state and local law, not federal.

Current as of August 22, 2015, according to CPB in El Paso, TX.
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:43 am    Post subject: Re: Temporary Importation Reply with quote

wewerecreatures wrote:
Bruce wrote:

Of course you can.

Canada and Mexico are very different places.
But the rules entering the US are the same, regardless of where you're coming from.
For example, I went through the extra screening process to use the express lane to enter the US from Canada. I use the same express lanes when I leave Mexico to enter the US even though the "membership" card has a different name.
wewerecreatures wrote:
The CBP website makes it sound like only non-residents of the US can bring in foreign plated vehicles.

And that's you!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wewerecreatures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The issue was that i don't have residency in Mexico, i'm here on an FMM tourist visa, and theres a lot of really bad, conflicting information in forums about bringing in foreign cars.
kamesama980
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wewerecreatures wrote:
The issue was that i don't have residency in Mexico, i'm here on an FMM tourist visa, and theres a lot of really bad, conflicting information in forums about bringing in foreign cars.

You get what you pay for. That's the price of (nearly) instant info and not waiting a few weeks to hear back from the gov't.
1994 Pontiac Firebird
2001 BMW R1200C
2003 Subaru Baja
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: