Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1955 oval. Is this possible?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wiggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snowflakes were an option in April 55 and standard in May.

Regarding Body and chassis number - I would be hesitant unless the price was a steal. You should think about resale.

My 58 Ghia Vert

My 51 Split 11G

My 57 Deluxe

My 56 Oval
atstew69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin,
I'm sorry but to the untrained eye, both tanks look very similar. I'll have to go back over there this weekend and take a pic and post it. I'll take pic of heater vents as well and report back
Wiggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 55 one looks like a big rectangular box. The 56/57 is thinner that looks like a hump.

My 58 Ghia Vert

My 51 Split 11G

My 57 Deluxe

My 56 Oval
René R.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The size of the gas cap on the two different styles of tank are very different. The early style has a relatively huge cap of 100mm.
j-dub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atstew69 wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Does anything else on the VIN plate tell us anything about the car? For example VW1/11, does this mean model 111 2 door Sedan; Standard Model LHD
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Body tags appear to have been bead blasted or polished on a wheel, they shouldn't be so brassy looking usually. Also looks like maybe a tape line around the tags, I'd suspect the clip has been replaced or tags swapped onto another body.
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The body has to be Apr 55 or earlier. That's when semaphores ended.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly think the front clip was replaced and the tag moved from the original to the new clip. From looking at the interior pics it is pretty clear that the car was originally black. The paint in the tag area looks to be a lower quality and it clearly shows beige paint behind the tag...

I would buy that car in a heartbeat assuming the rest looks as good as that interior shot
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
56bugdan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

txoval wrote:
I honestly think the front clip was replaced and the tag moved from the original to the new clip. From looking at the interior pics it is pretty clear that the car was originally black. The paint in the tag area looks to be a lower quality and it clearly shows beige paint behind the tag...

I would buy that car in a heartbeat assuming the rest looks as good as that interior shot

I'm with txoval on this. Could be a replacement clip and it was repainted since you can see the black paint that's on the edge of the tag. I would not hesitate to buy it as long as the seller isn't insane. Just so you're aware of what their talking about with the ribbed doors, it the raised rib or hump that surrounds the door panels. Later models don't have that rib so it's just flat around the door panel. The interior and seat frames look to be in real nice shape too. The numbers thing wouldn't bother me in the least. I'd be thrilled to find a set of ribbed doors let alone a car that they belong on. Good luck with it
atstew69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies . I will get in touch with seller and tell him what you all have relied to me. It has a motor from 1959 that is not locked but has a bit of end play. His initial price is 8k. I think that's about 3k too high. What do you all think???? Rest of car is solid with no rust issues
56bugdan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm no expert and some might think I'm way off but, I think you're close with the $5000. Just remember that it's not gonna be a 100% correct car and therefor not worth what it would be if it were. It really depends on the overall condition of the pan, paint and body. If it's been painted, is there filler hidden somewhere that you'll find during a restoration? A lot of things come into play so don't just assume it's OG paint and get under it and look at it long and hard before you hand over $5000 - $8000. If it's as solid as it appears from what we can see then I think you'll be very safe in that price range but we can't see much so check it out good. Good luck with it
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would definitely be good to see more pics. If that's original paint, which it may be and there truly aren't any rust issues, even $8k wouldn't be a bad deal depending on overall condition. That interior is in such good shape, I can't imagine the car has many miles on it.

Like I said earlier, if you do a search on just the seats alone you will see they are worth $1500 to $2000.

It would be good to see more pics of the trunk and front wheel wells to verify the front clip issue.

The early Ovals (ribbed doors) are becoming very expensive and parts are difficult to find. If that car is as complete as it looks, that's a good deal.
Wiggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think $5k is fair for a car that has been repainted, probably clipped, or at a minimum non matching number car. You really can't look at it as the sum of the parts because unless you are going to part the car ( which you should not) you're not going to get a high value due to the numbers issue.

I'd show him the data and offer $5 k for it. I don't think that is a $8k car.

My 58 Ghia Vert

My 51 Split 11G

My 57 Deluxe

My 56 Oval
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: