Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 188, 189, 190 ... 233, 234, 235  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:05 pm    Post subject: gear oil Reply with quote

mrcool wrote:
I have a 1983 air cooled

Gear oil change with:
Sta-Lube SL24239 API/GL-4 Multi-Purpose Hypoid Gear Oil
85w90

Late buses should use GL5...protect those valuable gearbox parts!

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
68 Beetle 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
Dynojet Test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
mrcool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:49 am    Post subject: Re: gear oil Reply with quote

neil68 wrote:
mrcool wrote:
I have a 1983 air cooled

Gear oil change with:
Sta-Lube SL24239 API/GL-4 Multi-Purpose Hypoid Gear Oil
85w90

Late buses should use GL5...protect those valuable gearbox parts!

I'm not convinced GL5 protects those parts. Confused I've been over in the other fun 45 page thread shaking the tree. Please come chime in, I didn't find anything convincing in the 45 pages I painstakingly read.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7791124#7791124
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please use the other thread for Transmission oil questions.
Thank you.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mrcool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Please use the other thread for Transmission oil questions.
Thank you.

That's the plan. I was actually asking what additives I should use
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrcool wrote:

I am planning on a engine oil change with:
Chevron Delo 400LE Heavy Duty Motor Oil, SAE 15W-40 ..

I used to use Delo 400 up until their formulation changed a couple years back (while the name remained the same).
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mrcool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gears wrote:
mrcool wrote:

I used to use Delo 400 up until their formulation changed a couple years back (while the name remained the same).

Shoot.. of course they did. I was looking at Delo 400 due to the advice on Zinc content and how it was reported here that is key in our engines.

I live in California so oil doesn't need to do fine in the cold. The car has also been sitting for several years so if there are any additives to help clean out the build up for the first oil change or two I'd appreciate the advice.

What did you switch to?
Juanito84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrcool wrote:

Any 15W-40 oil should have enough ZDDP for a stock engine. It's the 10W-30 and thinner grades marked API SM or SN and have the "API Certified" starburst symbol on the bottle that have questionably low amounts of ZDDP.
England9975
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm new to the VW community. Just bought my first dune buggy. It has a 74 beetle engine with a bus transmission. From the build sheet that came with it I gather it's 1800cc with a lot of scat parts. Reading through this post I see a lot of different opinions on oil types to use. Was wondering if anyone on here has a similar set up as me and could guide me in the right direction. Also since it has an external oil filter do I need to pull the lower access panel and replace/clean the internal oil screen?
Juanito84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

England9975 wrote:
I'm new to the VW community. Just bought my first dune buggy. It has a 74 beetle engine with a bus transmission. From the build sheet that came with it I gather it's 1800cc with a lot of scat parts. Reading through this post I see a lot of different opinions on oil types to use. Was wondering if anyone on here has a similar set up as me and could guide me in the right direction. Also since it has an external oil filter do I need to pull the lower access panel and replace/clean the internal oil screen?

There are lots of oils that will work. Lots of guys here seem to prefer Valvoline VR1, Brad Penn or Amsoil Z-Rod, but many others will work. You might want to steer clear of the new SN or SM oils (with certified star burst symbol) that are 10W-30 or thinner. Any multi-grade oil that's 30, 40 or 50 could work although it would be easier to choose the right oil based on actual oil pressure. 15W-40 is mid-ground.
mrcool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Castrol GTX 20w50 is the next i am going to use.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why? Didya read the label?

Reading the label it says a lot of stuff about resisting thermal breakdown, and good detergent, so it must be designed for hot running engines that the oil is changed rarely.

Yes the labels are usually 50% marketing language, but the other 50% might be true!
vicpim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Towel Rail wrote:
rustfree1967bug wrote:
Whats the best oil to use in a stock 1600cc in the spring, summer and fall?

That's nearly impossible to answer without knowing more about you and your engine. What is the climate like where you live? Is the engine fresh? Old and tired? Does it burn oil? How is the oil pressure (does the idiot light ever light up)?

I wouldn't hesitate to run 5W20 in a tight new engine (especially if it has a large oil pump), but older engines may need thicker stuff to maintain oil pressure. The engine in my '67 is fairly strong, but it's wearing out -- the blowby and oil consumption are increasing, and it needs 15W40 to keep the oil light out on 100°F+ days.

Good luck,
- Scott

Good morning Scott. I have an old 1600 engine in my 73 beetle that the dummy light flickers on & off ocassionally. What oil type do you recommend. I live in Southern Cali. in the South Bay area. Temps are relatively cool here (about 5 -10 miles from the beach).
Thanks for any feedback!
Juanito84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vicpim wrote:
Good morning Scott. I have an old 1600 engine in my 73 beetle that the dummy light flickers on & off ocassionally. What oil type do you recommend. I live in Southern Cali. in the South Bay area. Temps are relatively cool here (about 5 -10 miles from the beach).
Thanks for any feedback!

If it flickers on and off you might want to try a thicker oil. If you were using 10W-30 then use 15W-40. And if that doesn't do it then try 20W-50.

Of course an actual oil pressure gauge would be best. The rule of thumb is 10psi for every 1,000RPM. If you get more pressure than that, then go thinner. Less than that, then go thicker.
vicpim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juanito84 wrote:
vicpim wrote:
Thanks for any feedback!

If it flickers on and off you might want to try a thicker oil. If you were using 10W-30 then use 15W-40. And if that doesn't do it then try 20W-50.

Of course an actual oil pressure gauge would be best. The rule of thumb is 10psi for every 1,000RPM. If you get more pressure than that, then go thinner. Less than that, then go thicker.

Thanks!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say that putting a gauge on there and/or changing out the oil pressure switch would be the first steps to take. These switches do not last forever and yours may not even be the correct one for your application.
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vicpim wrote:
I have an old 1600 engine in my 73 beetle that the dummy light flickers on & off ocassionally.

What oil are you using now?

What is your idle speed? If you have it too low, the light will flicker. Increase it to meet VW's recommended idle speed and your flickering light may go away.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zack1978
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using the Amsoil Z-Rod 10w30 for the past few years. I don't drive my car very much, but it seems fine. My car is a stock 1972 Karmann Ghia with a stock 1600. Sometimes at idle I will get a quick Flicker of the oil light, but I attribute that to a low idle caused by a carb in need of a rebuild.
FrankRam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:49 pm    Post subject: 1600 dp oil for 71 bus Reply with quote

Ok, I've read first 11 pages of this thread and the last two. The first 400 miles in my 71 camperbus's new engine has been with conventional Castrol 20-50 wt.
Summer is rapidly ending here in the St Louis Missouri area. I'm a little concerned about the Zinc factor. I think I'm going to go with Castrol Synthetic 20 - 50 wt and stick with that. Should I still add a half bottle of GM EOS if it still exists or skip it?
FrankRam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes. Stock 1600 DP
Juanito84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any 20W-50 should have enough ZDDP for a stock application. It's the 10W-30 and thinner grades that are restricted as to how much ZDDP. I would, however, avoid using the thickest oil possible on a new engine, unless the oil pressure says otherwise.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 188, 189, 190 ... 233, 234, 235  Next
Jump to:
Page 189 of 235

Jump to: