Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rarity of Canadian Standards?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
deltabrent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:06 pm    Post subject: Rarity of Canadian Standards? Reply with quote

I'm hoping to pick up what appears to be a 55 Canadian Standard at the end of August. Wondering how rare this car would be? What kind of numbers did they make of them etc?
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no way that I know of to determine numbers for Canadian customs. At one time they were quite common on the praries but since nobody wanted them except me they got cut up for parts or scrapped. Just a gut feeling but I would say deluxes out number them by about 10 to 1. Pick it up for sure.

Don
deltabrent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10 to 1 internationally or imported to Canada?
I see them around the Prairies quite often too but I suspect that's just a regional concentration. Looking forward to getting it in my driveway!
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just talking about the praries. Cars survived much better in Alta than they did in Manitoba so there are alot more of everything out there, including Canadian customs. Save all the customs you can; they are uniquely Canadian cars!

Don
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the percentage of the VW sedans sold in Canada, the "Customs" ranked high. As much as 30 to 40 percent of Beetle sales in the mid fifties, or even more. And Canada bought a lot of Volkswagens, probably equal to the U.S. back then. But due to the harsh Canadian winters and heavy rust, the number of good survivor cars today is very small. But there are still a lot of barns on those Canadian praries, and who knows what's still in them.

Heinz Nordhoff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
deltabrent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen a number of Canadian Custom Ovals since I've lived here. They do come up. I really like them. I had a 55 I found in BC a long time ago. Sold it because it was way too much of a project. I'm pretty excited to get into it this fall! 30-40% of a half year production car is pretty rare.
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue Baron: What are you basing your numbers on? I have been paying attention to and collecting Canadian customs since 1979 and from my exerience your numbers are way high. I'm not saying they're wrong tho because my sample group is very small. There are a number of things I can say here: Like for instance: My father bought a 1959 beetle new in the spring of '59. He went to the dealership and ordered a car, some months later a car with his name on it arrived but was not what he ordered, he was told to take this car or wait another couple of months and maybe get what he ordered, he took the car. In those days, there was so much demand for the cars people took what they could get, custom or deluxe. Another thing I can say is that there are a lot of Mennonites in southern Manitoba and they are a frugal bunch, customs would have appealed to them. But being as frugal as they were, they drove those cars to death and very few remain so it is very hard to esimate numbers. In the '80s, in Winnipeg, I saw a lot of '50 beetles and I would have to say deluxes outnumbered customs by about 10 to 1. Finally I will say that over the years I have seen or owned 6 1959 Canadian customs in Reseda green.

Don
Bluemanx212
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

some intereesting stuff on canadian customs early 3 spoke steering wheel, split front drivers fender, tiny headliner, wing nut seats, and a very base model to start with and yes the pictuers are a canadian custom or we call a canadian standard
Blauchen L331
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bluemanx212 wrote:

Hmm that's a wild horn button there, no thin chrome ring inside the center as German/European Standards had????

I've never seen that horn button before, the Canadian "Custom" (Standard Style) cars are by all in the present tense RARE I think, I've never seen any down here either. Wink *Florida* Wink

Tom
USA RAM Protection/Export Overrider Bumpers - MPH Speedometer -
Sealed Beam Headlights and Bullet Front Turn Signals!
99.9% ORIGINAL PARTS WITH ONLY 36,500 ORIGINAL MILES/ GARAGE FIND/ UNRESTORED CAR
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
deltabrent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I'm going to wager a guess based on different stats. I've been to or seen photos to a number of field stashes in the prairies where 3-5 cars where all laid to rest as they died over the years. Cars dating from the early 50s on to the mid 60s. Owner kept buying them as they died and stealing parts off the old ones etc. From what I've seen about 25% are standards. (Always at least one in the groups I've seen/heard of). I'd say 25-30% Canadian Custom/Standards is what I've seen in the wild and for sale etc.
Terry Gaudet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:05 pm    Post subject: Got a few here...;0) Reply with quote

I have a 5/55 and two 56 Canadian Customs in my shop. Not so rare on the east coast.....;0)

And....I looked at another 56 Canadian Custom a couple of weeks ago. They sure are coming out of the woodwork.

1950 Beetle Standard
1955 Canadian Custom
1956 Kombi w/SO23 kit
1965 Kombi walkthrough
1965 Double Cab
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pictures please.

Don
Bluemanx212
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry the horn button is not original that one was toast as usual they didnt hold up very well in the hot and cold of the prairies you are correct it should have a thin chrome ring with the buttom inside. They are really rare in good shape much less working. That was my friends attempt to put something in the steering wheel
Terry Gaudet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:16 am    Post subject: Pics of my Canadian customs Reply with quote

Hey sunroof,

Sorry for the late reply. I just noticed your request for pics. Here you go.

This is Cinco, my 5/5/55 built Canadian delivered bug. Now with just over 26,000 miles. Drove it around quite a bit this summer. Will have to install seat belts someday soon to make it safe for passengers.

This is Metallica, a 3/56 Canadian custom which has been stripped of all it's paint, pretty much everywhere, totally naked....;0)

Oh, and yes, those are tape and marker lines for a chop. The previous owner was going to start cutting. That's when I stepped in and bought it.....whew.......

And latest acquisition, a 6/56 Canadian custom that was parked outside for 30 yrs next to a river. I bought it to get some of the missing parts for the other 56. It was actually in good shape when parked. But I guess many of these vintage cars were not worth much back then so they weathered outside waiting to be rescued. Oh, and yes, the engine and transmission in the other pics are matching numbers. They are as seized as tight as my banker's wallet. So sad......

Check out my photo gallery for more pics of these cars.

1950 Beetle Standard
1955 Canadian Custom
1956 Kombi w/SO23 kit
1965 Kombi walkthrough
1965 Double Cab
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sunroof wrote:
Blue Baron: What are you basing your numbers on? I have been paying attention to and collecting Canadian customs since 1979 and from my experience your numbers are way high.

I may be a little high, but I base my observations on what I've seen in Canada. I used to treasure hunt up there, and based on what I saw at John Chipp's junkyard in Ontario alone, close to half the ovals were Customs.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=266364

By the way, thanks for being called sunroof instead of ragtop. Laughing

deltabrent wrote:
I'd say 25-30% Canadian Custom/Standards is what I've seen in the wild and for sale etc.

Can I get an amen!

Heinz Nordhoff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: