Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Jetting
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kamshaft91
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:32 am    Post subject: Jetting Reply with quote

Looking to get into the ball park.
Engine:
VZ15 cam
37x32 valves with minor port work (fluff n buff)
Dual HPMX 40
1 1/2" street header (extractor type) with dual quiet packs occasionally stinger
German bosch 009
C/R is 8:1

Current jetting is
115 mains
52 idels
200 airs
F11 e-tubes
28 vents

This is a new engine from brothers machine shop. Driving elevation is sea level and the engine is in a type 1 with a Rancho Pro Street trans 4.12 R&P with .82 fourth. Tires are 195x65xR15 in the rear and 145R15 up front.

Please let me know if this is close or if I need to change some stuff around jetting wise.

Thank you
Kam
56vwoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:44 am    Post subject: jets Reply with quote

How does it run? 52 idles are a little large!
kamshaft91
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It idles nicely lol I have to bleed the breaks before I can drive it, but out of the box that's what they come with and when I first got them I ran them that way on a 1600 with stock heads C20 cam 7.5:1 C/R and 1 5/8 merged header with singer. It ran great instant throttle response idle was around 900 rpm. Only thing that suffered was bottom end and I think that was due more to the fact I was running an exhaust that was way too big.
stan_tichomirov
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are in the ballpark, start tuning. Sort out the idles first (it would help to try 50s if you had them), then the mains (you shouldn't need larger than 130 IMO). This would be for sea level.

FWIW, I also have a .82 4th and have had good success with 50 idles on my 1835. Spanish 40IDFs though, some say HPMXs like larger idles. I'm using 30mm venturis.

Stan
My budget 2276 build
kamshaft91
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:

Finally got the car to idle and hold steady at about 900 RPM

Cureently running
52 idles
115 main
175 airs
F11 e-tubes
Timing at 32*

Idle mixtures screws are at 2 turns out any more out it stalls and any more in it stalls. Idle speed screws are one full turn after touching throttle arms. Both throttles open at the same time and open to full throttle no problems.

Now I think I may be to lean on the idle jets because when I floor it without load it wants to stall out but if I blip it then floor it it'll rev up no problem. What do you guys think?
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it stalls more than 2 turns out on the mixture screws your idle jets are too big. Try 50s.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwsb74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
If it stalls more than 2 turns out on the mixture screws your idle jets are too big. Try 50s.

Weber said if morethan 2 turns its too lean. When I put 70 idle in my idas it was 2+ turns and when I changed it to 65 it went to 1 3/4 turns.
2014 Honda odyssey
2180cc 48IDA clone
Xr310 cam =171hp@6k rpm sold so as the car😢
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

but you aren't even remotely close to LBI. You said it would stall >2, which means you are too rich. And 70 idles on IDAs is a joke also way too rich.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stan_tichomirov
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are not lean on idles, I can almost guarantee it. I can make my 1835 stink rich and cover the fender with soot with 50s.

If it were me, I'd try 50s, get it dialed in and then try 47.5s. But, I have the jets handy.

Stan
My budget 2276 build
vwsb74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
but you aren't even remotely close to LBI. You said it would stall >2, which means you are too rich. And 70 idles on IDAs is a joke also way too rich.

That Was an example only. FYI I have 60/110 idles and it runs better now than my old setup 65/120. 60/120 will drop off the face . Too lean:(
Sorry man I don't wanna Highjack your thread.
2014 Honda odyssey
2180cc 48IDA clone
Xr310 cam =171hp@6k rpm sold so as the car😢
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kamshaft91
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I'll give those a shot. How many turns out should I be at? Reason I ask is because according to the setup instructions I got from empi with the current jetting it should be 1 to 2 turns out, but according to aircooled.net carb jetting article it says 3-4.
stan_tichomirov
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't go by turns, 1 1/2 initially? Start it up, get it warm, turn in screws till it pops a d turn back out a little. Make sure all barrels pull same amont, syns linkage, repeat. Then, tweak timing, repeat.

Stan
My budget 2276 build
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: