Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

68 Ghia Autostick Carb Question
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sudar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:02 pm    Post subject: 68 Ghia Autostick Carb Question Reply with quote

I have a 68 Ghia coupe autostck. It will be my wife's car and I have changed the fluids and fixed a few nonworking items. I want to make it dependable and smooth running. It currently has the stock distributor 113 905 205P and a H30/31 carb. Doing some research I have found the H30/31 carb to be problematic for the autostick. What carb would you all recommend for my current distributor?

Thanks,

Darrin
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Ghia Autostick Carb Question Reply with quote

Sudar wrote:
I have a 68 Ghia coupe autostck. It will be my wife's car and I have changed the fluids and fixed a few nonworking items. I want to make it dependable and smooth running. It currently has the stock distributor 113 905 205P and a H30/31 carb. Doing some research I have found the H30/31 carb to be problematic for the autostick. What carb would you all recommend for my current distributor?

Thanks,

Darrin

A used and/or rebuilt model of the carb it came with would be your best bet.

Someone else who is more knowledgeable will shortly be along to chime in with the exact Solex carb that was fitted to a '68 Ghia. Very Happy
Sudar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:30 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Ghia Autostick Carb Question Reply with quote

sjbartnik wrote:
Sudar wrote:

Thanks,

Darrin

A used and/or rebuilt model of the carb it came with would be your best bet.

Someone else who is more knowledgeable will shortly be along to chime in with the exact Solex carb that was fitted to a '68 Ghia. Very Happy

That's what I'm hoping! I contacted Andy who put out the list of carbs and flange numbers and he replied with:
Quote:
H5077366 was when the Autostick started. It used the 167-1 up to that H5245666, so yours with H5148616 should have the 167-1 if you are being very completist. If you happen to have a 167-2, I wouldn't worry too much, the difference was a revision in the idle circuit. (polishing a turd, in my opinion, the 30PICT-2 was never a favorite of mine, due VW trying to make the carb easier to tune for emissions and not quite getting it right yet)

-Andy

Tim at VolkZBitz has the carb and replied:

Quote:
Hi Darrin.

Ive looked through about 50 of my 30PICT-2s and found them with the following flange numbers. VW167, VW167-2, VW167-3 and VW167-4. The one that has the VW167 does not have another number after it.

Regards.
Tim

Based on their responses I'm left with more questions as to 1. Is the 30PICT-2 carb my best bet or as Andy said is it a TURD! 2. if the 30PICT-2 is ok for the autostick, is the VW167 that Tim has the one I want even though it doesn't have the "-1" after the 167?

Thoughts and comments go here

Thanks, Darrin
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may want to check the VWAR.org web site for this.

I can't say what is right for a 68 as mine is a 71.
Sudar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOVA Airhead wrote:
You may want to check the VWAR.org web site for this.

I can't say what is right for a 68 as mine is a 71.

I posted it over there too, many looks, but no replies Sad
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: