Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

No Serial # on factory replacement cases?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:35 am    Post subject: No Serial # on factory replacement cases? Reply with quote

Wondering if it's true that factory replacement cases had no serial # stamped on them. Never heard or seen of it myself. A search of the forums turned up nothing either. I know of the X and the VW in a circle on factory 'repaired' cases, but nothing at all stamped on them? Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
56vwoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:43 am    Post subject: case Reply with quote

My stock Mexican AS 41 case has no numbers! And is not a universal case either!
DeathBySnuSnu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My replacement case did not have numbers when bought.
It got the numbers of the engine it replaced stamped in it.

A bit misleading for some as it replaced a honda engine.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWCOOL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may need to get numbers from your local licencing/registration authority or the police... that's how it works Down Here
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VWCOOL wrote:
You may need to get numbers from your local licencing/registration authority or the police... that's how it works Down Here

Some areas do not even record engines number on registration... Mostly it would depend of "state" or "country"....

Some cases such as F1, F2, DO, DI, AB, AD, AK, AM, AS are "over the counter" replacement cases, I guess its conceivable that in some markets cases were not numbered ....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
DeathBySnuSnu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All legal and done by the direction of the local dmv.
Fully registered as an antique with no restrictions, fully documented per the dmv's instructions.
Of course it don't matter here as long is the road tax, licence plate is paid for then it is ok for the road. They have pics and everything and no one cares one bit that it don't look the same or has been modified to this extent.
The only thing that has ever been questioned by the powers that be is, "why is it black when the title says blue".
I am gonna paint it blue this time.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

normally it's a better move to beg for forgiveness than to ask permission.

Just put the #s on it that are supposed to be there and worry about something else.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Joel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a new German AS41 universal case I built my 1776 on that doesnt have an engine number either so its not just Brazilian and Mexican ones that are like it.
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been schooled. Thanks for the replies.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:

Just put the #s on it that are supposed to be there and worry about something else.

Being from CA, that is the best advise that you can give someone facing the DMV. Never give them any information up front. Act dumb and say "that's the way I bought it". Otherwise, you will be opening a whole can of grief.

Also, as others have mentioned, my T4 case only has the group code on it, not the serial.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:
[
Some cases such as F1, F2, DO, DI, AB, AD, AK, AM, AS are "over the counter" replacement cases, I guess its conceivable that in some markets cases were not numbered ....

That is not entirely true. If the original number has been REMOVED and a new number stamped, then yes. But if an engine case has an unaltered original factory serial number stamp on it, it was installed into a production line vehicle!

VW sold exchange engines in different configurations, and it is on those you see removed-and-restamped engine numbers. (in the early-mid 60s they would leave the original number and stamp a 2nd number on the right side of the generator mount base)

Now, brand spanking new bare engine cases, those were sold totally blank.

-Andy
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Multi69s wrote:
[email protected] wrote:

Being from CA, that is the best advise that you can give someone facing the DMV. Never give them any information up front. Act dumb and say "that's the way I bought it". Otherwise, you will be opening a whole can of grief.

Also, as others have mentioned, my T4 case only has the group code on it, not the serial.

And be sure to answer the "drones" question in way it benefits you and not confuse issue.... Helps to know DMV codes better than "drone" behind counter...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: