Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Quality of available ignition parts
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zack1978
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:39 am    Post subject: Quality of available ignition parts Reply with quote

Hi everyone,
I will be doing a tune up of my stock 1600 in my Karmann Ghia. I ordered Bosch parts (cap, rotor, points, and condenser)but is Bosch the best quality parts currently available ? When you use Rockauto, they list many different brands for the parts. I know that at one time Bosch was the gold standard of parts, is that still the case? I did order NGK spark plugs based upon reviews found here. Is there another brand that is of better quality, price being no object?

Thanks,
Zack
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything seem to be made in China... Its a crap shoot...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend Bosch everything except plugs and plug wires.

Bosch wires are ok, but the Taylor's are also very nice, as are the Pertronix Flamethrower wiresets. (in colors)

NGK for plugs.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
I recommend Bosch everything except plugs and plug wires.

Bosch wires are ok, but the Taylor's are also very nice, as are the Pertronix Flamethrower wiresets. (in colors)

NGK for plugs.

Bosch still makes great plugs.....but in mu experience....only in certain series. For my modern cars....their iridium or nickle copper. For my type 4.....nickle copper DTC series triples. I can still easily buy them and they are still awesome. Pretty much most of the Bosch supers (nickle copper) are still excellent but, some of the more common part #s....are starting to be made in the 3rd world. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stan_tichomirov
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get stuff from John and work with him if you have issues.

I have a number of distributors, coils, wires, genetators and relays. I now have 2 cars and troubleshoot by swapping components I know have worked well in the past, out of all my distributors only 2 provide good results (and, one of them is locked out lol).

This Fastback I just got came with some new-looking 009 clone that drives like shit, installing a known-to-work chrome-looking distributor out of my stash fixed that problem.

Stan
My budget 2276 build
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bosche should be ok, but I never likes their resistor wires, and lately the coils are not good. But, overall, should be good stuff.

Even NGK plugs are not a guarantee of quality, as they now have new plants in third world countries to save a buck, and as usual, quality goes down when you do that!

If I "need" good quality parts I just go to napa, buy the best they sell, and pray!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bosch points have been having some rubbing block issues lately, some other brand like Bluestreak may be a better choice there.

Sadly buying just by brand is no guarantee of quality anymore, one batch comes from someone who gives a damn, the next containerload comes from the lowest bidder yet the box and description remains the same.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Zack1978
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I just received the Bosch cap and rotor today, and I am surprised at the seemingly high build quality. The boxes of both parts say Made in Spain. Well at least there is hope of continued build quality. I will get the points on Monday. From what I have read here, the points from Bosch are terrible as of late. I hope I can get my car started with the new Bosch points!

Zack
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: