Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Spindle Diameter wrong?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tb03830
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:48 pm    Post subject: Spindle Diameter wrong? Reply with quote

Need some help here. Rebuilding a 1964 Sedan Beetle. I replace the bearings in front and find the spacer on the spindle almost will not go on and the inner bearing is almost the same way. I then try to put the outer bearing on and the it will not fit on the spindle at all. Now I found the old bearings were totally destroyed when I took them off. Could heat have expanded the spindle or is it a problem with the bearings. The bearings are new from WestCoast Metric and seem perfect. The spindles although were very dirty but seem good. I need to get my micromiter on it and see if the diameters are too big. Does any one know how big the spindle diameter are suppose to be?

1964 Convertible Bug - 1600cc SP engine with a stock H30/31 Carb and SVDA Distributor - Swing Arm Highway Flyer Tranny, Gene Berg's Temperature Dipstick, 2.5" drop spindles, 2" narrowed adjustable front end. Chromed OEM fan tower.
stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you replacing ball bearing with roller?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same issue on my '66. Bought brand new bearings from Wolfsburgh West for a '66 that would not fit. Ended up finding out the previous owner had put later model spindles on the car for some reason, so I ended up buying a different year set of bearings, I think it was for a '68. The spindles are a tiny bit thicker and the new bearings fit perfectly.
"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." --- Jeff Spicoli
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tb03830
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the old Bearings (ball bearing) were toast and had been torn to peices. Pulled the the hub off and balls roled out. One of the bears was a Roller type but all others were Ball type.

Sportin-wood: Do you think a different year Spindle was put on? Any idea what year if the spinds are slightly bigger? I have been buying parts for a 1964 Question

I do have a second set of 64 Spindles and will try the bearings on them.

Never though of this when I picked up the sledge hammer. No I di not swing but Ithought about it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1964 Convertible Bug - 1600cc SP engine with a stock H30/31 Carb and SVDA Distributor - Swing Arm Highway Flyer Tranny, Gene Berg's Temperature Dipstick, 2.5" drop spindles, 2" narrowed adjustable front end. Chromed OEM fan tower.
stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty common, but yes the original bearing ID is slightly larger than the ID of the new roller bearings. It actually doesn't take all that much, but use Emory cloth, and sand/polish up the spindle. Every so often try to slide on the new bearing on. After a bit the new bearing should slide on.
tb03830
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is how I got the spacer on. Should have to do that or have it made an error.

sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb03830 wrote:
Sportin-wood: Do you think a different year Spindle was put on? Any idea what year if the spinds are slightly bigger? I have been buying parts for a 1964 Question

Apparently on mine, yes, the spindles were changed for some reason. Because the new bearings (I think they were 1968 thru 1979) fit perfectly. I thought I had started a thread on this issue, but couldn't find anything, sorry.
"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." --- Jeff Spicoli
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets not get confused now..
Its a 64 so "should" be a King/Link Spindle.

King/Link Pin spindle shaft size are all the same size.

Ball Joint Spindle shaft size (inner) changed mid year 1968 (and tie rod end taper size enlarged too)
1966-1968.5
1968.5 - till the end...

Also to note..
Most common drop Ball Joint spindles.. use the later 68.5 up bearings and tie rod ends.

Drop King Pin Spindles use typical King Pin bearings and tie rods..

Clean and polish the shaft with an emery cloth and lightly grease. .. warm the bearing with a heat gun or hair drier.. It will slide right on.

Now.. getting them back off.. thats a different story..

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
Lets not get confused now..
Its a 64 so "should" be a King/Link Spindle.

King/Link Pin spindle shaft size are all the same size.

Ball Joint Spindle shaft size (inner) changed mid year 1968 (and tie rod end taper size enlarged too)
1966-1968.5
1968.5 - till the end...

Also to note..
Most common drop Ball Joint spindles.. use the later 68.5 up bearings and tie rod ends.

Drop King Pin Spindles use typical King Pin bearings and tie rods..

Clean and polish the shaft with an emery cloth and lightly grease. .. warm the bearing with a heat gun or hair drier.. It will slide right on.

Now.. getting them back off.. thats a different story..

I would only add one thing. It used to be pretty common for dropped king and link pin spindles for disc brakes to have ball joint spindles on them. Spindles for stock type disc brakes are easy to spot because the drum brakes won't bolt on, so this doesn't apply in your case. This info is for others that may stumble into this thread in future searches.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:

I would only add one thing. It used to be pretty common for dropped king and link pin spindles for disc brakes to have ball joint spindles on them. Spindles for stock type disc brakes are easy to spot because the drum brakes won't bolt on, so this doesn't apply in your case. This info is for others that may stumble into this thread in future searches.

I didnt know that one as I've never used disc brakes.. on a Vw.

Good info.. Wink

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tb03830
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So after fretting about this all night I decided to do some due diligence before I took anything apart and I am glad I did. I checked the outer diameter of the Spindle and it was consistant with a second set I have. (sorry don't remember the size) I then measured a second clean bearing and it was slighty larger than the Spindle measurement. That made no since. I then tried it on the spindle and found it went on easy. What the hell!!!!! Brick wall . I then cleaned the other outer bearing I had used before and measured it. It was 19.88 mm in diamter on the inside. The shaft was slightly larger. So rather than keep talking I found that one ofthe bearings was smaller than the other and had the exact same parts number. It was a single bearing that was wrong. It appears that the bearing was manufactured wrong and had slightly smaller center hole than the other one which I assume was correct. I will grind it down a little and make it work. should not be a issue now that I know what is wrong.

Has anyone else seen this?

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: