Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel Gauge Vibrator got ya down? FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:19 am    Post subject: Adjustable voltage regulator to replace Fuel gauge vibrator Reply with quote

Don't have any pics of a completed device, but here's a schematic from the gallery:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

You used to be able to get the LM-317 regulator device from Radio Shack. Fry's should have all of the parts.
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GeorgeO.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going to make one as a backup just in case. The original still works but has almost 100,000 miles on the speedo.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

resurrecting an old thread. This is an area I need to cover when the trans is done. I added an amp before our last trip to Yosemite, and it gets noise even when the stereo is off. I suspect it is hearing the instrument regulator cycle because it is the old style.

There are notes somewhere in one of my books where VW indicated that when stereos were installed, the mechanical points style regulator needed to be replaced with the electronic style regulator. I am nervous about that and here is why. When we bought our 1977 bus it had an electronic regulator in it, and the fuel gauge itself was fried - as well as the sender being bad too.

I looked over the wiring and the only place the gauge got electricity from is the instrument voltage regulator. The electronic one in the bus was genuine VW and it still put out a constant voltage so I don't think it was bad. Looking at how things worked - it looks like the gauge system we designed for the older style voltage regulator. In fact it does not look like it is a regulator at all. Both the gauge and the old style regulators are heaters. The current passing thru the windings heats them and causes the needle to move. The "regulator" simple allows the gauge to maintain temperature by turning current on and off to the gauge. It also has windings which drop the voltage.

Here is a typical cycle on the old style. Power runs thru the VR windings dropping the voltage and sending that to the gauge. The gauge windings use heat to drive the needle. When the VR is on for a set period of so many seconds, it warms up, warps and points disconnect. That starts a cool down on the gauge. When the VR cools off enough its points make contact and the cycle begins again. The gauge deflection is not due to current or voltage but rather the max and min temperature during the cycle.

Apparently the noise generated by the VR points opening and closing could be heard in stereos so VW replaced the VR with an electronic one to make it quieter. Problem is that at least on my bus the gauge itself burned up internally - the windings were cooked. That has to make me think that the VW solution is only a temporary one that eventually causes the gauge to burn out.

I am looking for a more permanent solution. I am concerned that the style of gauge in these buses may not fully adapt to an electronic VR due to "the needle heater" being on all the time even if at a reduced voltage. If someone for example measured output on the old style they might see voltage V but it would be a square wave V off V off V off V off. Now we substitute a reduced but constant V. We might be able to get the needle to maintain the same temperature and deflection, but the windings might burn out sooner as there never is a cool down cycle.

So - has anyone with an electronic VR for the instruments on a late bay got 100,000 miles of no problems or are we still experimenting that it will work?
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would seem to me that, seeing as how the fuel gauge pointer position is a function of heat, it wouldn't care if the heat source was pulsating or steady (as long as the pulse frequency was much faster than the thermo-mechanical response time of the indicator).

To eliminate the noise of a mechanical regulator, you might try putting a series resistor-capacitor network across the regulator to slow the rise and fall of the current (maybe guessing 22 ohms and 0.47 uf? The capacitor slows the points-open current transition, and the resistor limits the peak capacitor current when the points close again). Taking out the fast current transitions should eliminate the source of the noise.

Last edited by telford dorr on Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How different is the early Vanagon circuit from the late bay? I see my 1981 Vans have an upgraded VR. Can we use that setup on a late Bay gauge?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

telford dorr wrote:
Would seem to me that, seeing as how the fuel gauge pointer position is a function of heat, it wouldn't care if the heat source was pulsating or steady (as long as the pulse frequency was much faster than the thermo-mechanical response time of the indicator).

To eliminate the noise of a mechanical regulator, you might try putting a series resistor-capacitor network across the regulator to slow the rise and fall of the current (maybe guessing 22 ohms and 0.46 uf? The capacitor slows the points-open current transition, and the resistor limits the peak capacitor current when the points close again). Taking out the fast current transitions should eliminate the source of the noise.

not visualizing it. Points close and current flows thru wire to gauge, thru gauge heater windings to gas sender then ground. Current causes gauge to rise and regulator to open so the gauge and regulator begin to cool. Regulator makes contact before the gauge cools too much and warms it again. The gas sender controls the amount of current up to the max the nichrome windings in the regulator and gauge will flow. When the points open there is probably RF let loose with the spark and some gets to the amp which is maybe 2' electrically from it. The amp should have a choke and cap to filter it as it is made by Alpine. The noise is most predominant when the amp input is off. The amp itself makes a huge pop when the stereo is turned on so maybe it isn't filtered that well.

Are you thinking that when the points open the charge in the cap goes back thru the resistor into the low side of the regulator points and that voltage reduces the spark because the low side falls to ground slower?
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
not visualizing it. Points close and current flows thru wire to gauge, thru gauge heater windings to gas sender then ground. Current causes gauge to rise and regulator to open so the gauge and regulator begin to cool. Regulator makes contact before the gauge cools too much and warms it again. The gas sender controls the amount of current up to the max the nichrome windings in the regulator and gauge will flow.

Correct, except I suspect the oscillation rate is fairly fast - at least several times a second. Otherwise you would see the gauge fluctuate. A analog voltmeter (here's one case where analog is better than digital) or a low power (LED) test light will tell.

Quote:
When the points open there is probably RF let loose with the spark and some gets to the amp which is maybe 2' electrically from it. The amp should have a choke and cap to filter it as it is made by Alpine.

Most likely does. But that only eliminates interference coming in the power line. It has no effect on radiated noise picked up on the audio cables between the head unit and the amp. Thus, suppression at the noise source is the more effective solution.

Quote:
The noise is most predominant when the amp input is off. The amp itself makes a huge pop when the stereo is turned on so maybe it isn't filtered that well.

No, that's a common problem caused by caps charging up on power-up. Some amps have a time delay relay on connections to the speakers to eliminate this annoyance.

Quote:
Are you thinking that when the points open the charge in the cap goes back thru the resistor into the low side of the regulator points and that voltage reduces the spark because the low side falls to ground slower?

Sort of. When the points open, the cap is discharged. Thus, it appears as a short, limited by the series resistance. Because of this, the current keeps flowing until the cap charges up. Thus, the current decreases gradually, rather than suddenly. Noise is caused by fast transitions in current and/or voltage. Slowing these down suppresses noise.

When the points close again, without the resistor the cap would discharge suddenly - another fast current/voltage transition. The series resistor limits the current flow, slowing down the discharge and thus the noise it would cause.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

where in the circuit is this cap and resistor going? Bridging across the points?
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

got it - thank you. So when the points open the current continues to flow then reduces to zero slower reducing the spark. When the points close the energy in the capacitor flows back into the circuit but thru the resistor. 1/2 watt be adequate or would 1 watt be better?
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on the energy storage in the cap, 1/2 watt should be plenty.

---

Details, for those curious

Energy stored in a capacitor, in Joules (AKA, watt-seconds):

E = 0.5 x C X V x V

where: C = farads, V = volts

for C = 0.47uf = 4.7 x 10e-7, V = 14.4

E = 4.87 x 10e-9 watt-seconds

Assume the points open 10 times a second (or 0.1 seconds / pulse), and the capacitor discharges completely:

P = E / 0.1 = 4.87 x 10e-8 = 0.0000000487 watts

Note the value of the resistor doesn't matter, as long as it allows the cap to discharge in the specified time.
sestino
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Vibrator got ya down? Reply with quote

Bump.

I don't understand all of the discussion of electronics, but I saw above that one of the components is an adjustable voltage regulator.

I just stumbled across this adjustable voltage regulator on DX.com selling for $1.80 plus shipping.

http://www.dx.com/p/20083-adjustable-power-supply-...7PGqCgrI2w

Could this inexpensive piece be used in place of the vibrator? One commenter on DX.com wrote:

Pros:
Simply and sturdy board for DIY aplications, ideal to branch to a 12-24V line and reduce to 5 or 3.3V MCU application. Just branch and adjust the tension using the potentiometer.
Cons:
Limited to 2.5 A, means that you must have that current limitation in your proyect. Not sutable for motors or other stuff, but it can be very useful for install a led bar in a car or add sensors on a industrial installation.
awreed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Vibrator got ya down? Reply with quote

For $1.80 plus S&H, why not give it a shot. Though if it doesn't work, would you risk frying the gauge? Not sure if I'd risk that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Vibrator got ya down? Reply with quote

It's sort of overkill, but for the price, why not?
sestino
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Vibrator got ya down? Reply with quote

Thanks everybody. I just ordered 3 for a grand total of $5.40 delivered (free shipping).

If someone wants one of the 2 extras that I purchased, send me a p.m. and I can send it to you gratis - it may take me a while to install mine, so I'd love to see if anyone else gets it done faster.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Vibrator got ya down? Reply with quote

wanted to update this thread. The stock original vibrator is an on off bimetallic device. In buses with a radio it was replaced with the electronic regulator 113957099A - same for a bug or bus.

The repop one being sold as genuine in some circles today was unstable and started at 5.34 volts then drifted as it warmed. The genuine factory one was 5.1 V and held solid. Telford was here when we made the measurements. The meter they were checked with was just calibrated less than a month ago with a lab standard voltage generator.

The factory unit is worth the difference in price if you can find one.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
sestino
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Vibrator got ya down? Reply with quote

sestino wrote:

I just stumbled across this adjustable voltage regulator on DX.com selling for $1.80 plus shipping.

http://www.dx.com/p/20083-adjustable-power-supply-...7PGqCgrI2w

Could this inexpensive piece be used in place of the vibrator? [/i]

I received the Chinese adjustable voltage regulators in September and mailed one to Telford a few weeks ago. I'll let him express his opinion, but in a PM he said he thought it could work in place of a vibrator.

I haven't used one yet because my gas gauge works now after I pulled the motor and put in a new sender in the tank.
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Vibrator got ya down? Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
The repop one being sold as genuine in some circles today was unstable and started at 5.34 volts then drifted as it warmed. The genuine factory one was 5.1 V and held solid. Telford was here when we made the measurements. The meter they were checked with was just calibrated less than a month ago with a lab standard voltage generator.

Indeed. The regulator is a mess. Initial inspection shows it contains a power resistor in series with two paralleled zener diodes. I guess they couldn't source a single diode of the correct capacity cheaply enough. Unfortunately, two paralleled diodes, unless they carefully matched, won't share the current equally, and thus one diode is likely to run hot.

But that wasn't the problem here. The problem is the wire-wound resistor gets really hot - hot enough that it's resistance goes up. We saw it more than double during a short bench test. The side effect is, as the resistance increases, less current flows through the zener diodes, until it reaches zero. Then the voltage to the fuel gauge starts to drop, and the gauge slowly goes to empty. I'll have to do a proper bench test on this unit and document the changes in more detail.

Quote:
The factory unit is worth the difference in price if you can find one.

I agree. When I get back to the lab, after completing testing, I'm going to gut the unit and see if I can fit a real cool-running series regulator into the case. Stay tuned...

Last edited by telford dorr on Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:39 pm; edited 2 times in total
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Vibrator got ya down? Reply with quote

sestino wrote:
I received the Chinese adjustable voltage regulators in September and mailed one to Telford a few weeks ago. I'll let him express his opinion, but in a PM he said he thought it could work in place of a vibrator.

It should work nicely. It's design is basically right off the TI datasheet for the IC it's based on. It's fully adjustable, runs cool, and is way more than needed for the job. But for the price, who cares? It's only downside is that you'll have to figure out your own suitable mounting/enclosure for the unit under the dash.

Side note: it has four connections, but both negative terminals are internally connected together, so you can treat it as a three-terminal device - voltage in, voltage out, ground.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Vibrator got ya down? Reply with quote

I spent about an hour last night looking for any articles from VDO specifying what the voltage should be. The only thing I found of value was a fellow selling dash voltage regulators. He indicated that the value for VDO gauges is 5.10V which matches that factory unit. That said I saw the note from Old DKP Driver. He indicated VW had some issues with the screw coming loose. If so, I suspect that with a loose screw and no ground then the full 12V would reach the gauge and sender - is that correct Telford?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: