Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What is this Fuel Mix reservoir for?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
duck1098
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:29 pm    Post subject: What is this Fuel Mix reservoir for? Reply with quote

Hello guys,
I just bought a kit car that has a 1600cc VW engine. I noticed there's a reservoir next to the fuel tank but the owner(dealer) didn't know what it is. On the cap it says "fuel mix"
Should I be adding anything to it?

Car stalled today after a minute idle and now wont start. That reservoir is empty on the left side and very little on the right side. I filled it up with gasoline but car still wont start. I'm changing fuel pump and filter next.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by duck1098 on Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a brake fluid reservoir. Maybe he lost the cap and put a different one on. Follow the hoses and see if they run to your master. You probably have a leak in one half of your brake system you need to attend to.
duck1098
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Looks like a brake fluid reservoir. Maybe he lost the cap and put a different one on. Follow the hoses and see if they run to your master. You probably have a leak in one half of your brake system you need to attend to.

Oh wow, I didn't think about that. i should go siphon the gasoline out then...
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

duck1098 wrote:
KTPhil wrote:

Oh wow, I didn't think about that. i should go siphon the gasoline out then...

AND make shure you clean out the brake master cylinder.....ANY gasoline in the master will displace brake fluid . You don't want ANYTHING else in the brake system but BRAKE FLUID .

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since one side was empty you needed to bleed the system anyway.

There are many posts on this site that detail how to get the car running, usually in this order.

Complete tune up.
Check for spark.
Check for fuel mixture.

There is a book you need to order before you hurt somebody. How To Keep Your Volkswagen Alive: A Manual of Step-By-Step Procedures by John Muir it is pretty basic, and also has a pretty good section on getting the car to start. I keep mine in the car so I can reference it when I don't have web access.

And eventually also get the Bentley manual for your year. It is a very detailed manual, but assumes you know what you are doing.

Beautiful car by the way, I drooled at that one when it was in the classifieds, and unlike a lot of kit cars it has a roof making rainy days much more enjoyable.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post a city in your location. Maybe someone would come over and help get it running for a beer and a ride.
duck1098
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason I put gas in there was because it says Fuel Mix and on the hose it says "Fuel Hose"... man I'm an idiot, this is kit car... anyways, so I guess I'll just have to bleed the system to get the gasoline out. I siphoned the reservoir already. What kind of brake fluid should I use? I have dot3 and dot 4.

VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you seriously put gasoline in the brake reservoir..
After you clean the reservoir VERY WELL >.. flush the entire system with new clean NEW brake fluid (Dot 3/4) .. and you may get lucky the system wont be ruined..
I'd also replace that fuel line for brake reservoir hose.. with brake fluid compatible hose...
Fuel hose for brake hose WILL leach of and will ruin the system in time.

Plus... .Brake fluid needs to be flushed every 2-3 years... period..

Dont feel so bad.. Rolling Eyes ....
It amazes me..often... what people just toss in reservoirs and under caps these days..
Never AssUme the cap is labeled correctly..

I've pulled coolant out of brake systems... water out of crankcases, washer fluid out of DEF reservoirs....... just to name a few

These newer "Global" picture caps are the worst.. an oil can can look like a water can.. and if its a certain color... who the hell knows what goes in it..

But Think In this case... yeah.. that was pretty lame... Laughing

I dont remember any 2 cycle VW's that made it past prototype..

Laughing

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited

Last edited by VOLKSWAGNUT on Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:37 pm; edited 4 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
duck1098
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Post a city in your location. Maybe someone would come over and help get it running for a beer and a ride.

Man that would be awesome. I bought this car to use it for my wedding in 2 months. I REALLY REALLY need to make sure it starts on our wedding day or I'm dead lol. I'm going to put it back on Craigslist after the wedding so let me know if you're interested. The previous owners ad is still up, here in Atlanta. He was asking 8900, I paid him 6k. Nice guy, owns a hot rod dealership.
Aussiebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep - dual circuit brake fluid reservoir.

Use DOT3 or DOT4 fluid, but NOT DOT 5.

And definitely replace that fuel hose for the correct blue coloured brake fluid lines. Stupid PO to use fuel hose for brake fluid - absolutely NOT compatible.

Dont be surprised if you have to replace the MC and maybe even slave cylinder seals after having gasoline contamination in there.
http://www.vw-resource.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
duck1098
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I just picked up this fuel pump but it looks different than what was in there. Will this work?

Northof49
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd start with changing the fuel filter and testing the existing fuel pump. Hook an outlet line up to some fuel hose, run it into a bottle and have someone crank over the engine. It should produce a near solid stream of fuel. No point changing the pump if it isn't the problem.
duck1098
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northof49 wrote:
I'd start with changing the fuel filter and testing the existing fuel pump. Hook an outlet line up to some fuel hose, run it into a bottle and have someone crank over the engine. It should produce a near solid stream of fuel. No point changing the pump if it isn't the problem.

Tried it. Didn't work. Should I go ahead with the other fuel pump? The locations of the outlets are different and obviously looks different.
Northof49
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can hook up the lines, I'd give it a try. There's been a number of different style pumps made for these motors over the years. Mine still has the old style you can take apart.
duck1098
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed the new pump and the filter. It's still not starting. Is the fuel filter supposed to be filled with gas? Because it's not there's only a few drops sitting at the bottom of it
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On that new style pump in your picture, be aware that the inlet from the tank is at the top, and the outlet to the carb is on the bottom.

Catches a lot of people out, so check that first.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These guys sell a reservoir cap. I'm not 100% sure if the cap changed from single to dual chamber, though. Call them and ask.

http://www.wagen-werks.com/brake-fluid-reservoir-cap-1963-1979/
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you now have gasoline mixed with brake fluid (and you had a brake problem before the gasoline was added as the reservoir should never run dry)

Once rubber brake parts (all the seals and rubber pistons cups in every cylinder and hoses) are exposed to any petroleum based fluid like gasoline, the parts are ruined. That is why in all the car books and manuals that discuss cleaning of the brake rubber parts have a warning to never use petroleum based solvents for cleaning the rubber parts.

You need a full brake rebuild, I suggest you buy all five new cylinders, master and four wheel cylinders and all wheel hoses (4 total) and the rubber hoses that go from reservoir to master. I'd probably buy a new reservoir too, and get a cap that fits nice and tight.

The brakes where bad before the gasoline, so don't fell bad about it, the gasoline finished the brakes off. now the brakes may still work a little, for now, but the gasoline has been absorbed by the rubber seals and piston cups, which means they have swelled and will tear easy now. with further use the cups will fail as they cant take the wear, rubbing and pressure that they could before exposure to gasoline.

For you own safety sake, please rebuild the brake system, replacing all parts except the metal pipes (unless they have rust issues)

Besure to flush out all traces of gasoline thru the metal pipes before hooking up your new brake cylinders.

Actually it is very good you found the low reservoir as that indicates that one of more wheel cylinders or master has failed already.

Idea Idea Idea Since you will be replacing ALL rubber parts (including hoses) now would be an EXCELLENT time to convert from DOT 3/4 fluid to DOT5 silicone fluid. Idea Idea Idea

Unlike the regular DOT3 or 4 fluid the silicone fluid does not require flushing every year or two to keep it dry and prevent rust in the brake system. Silicone fluid will not absorb water and thus is great for someone with collector cars that may not have the time to keep up with yearly or so brake system flushes. I have converted two of my cars to silicone over 10 years ago and have had excellent results, zero maintenance!!! and silicone fluid will not eat body work paint!!!!

the once thing is that silicone fluid requires that ALL rubber parts that have been exposed to DOT3 or 4 fluid be removed. What happens if you reuse old rubber parts exposed to the old fluid is that the rubber absorbs the old fluid which is fine, it can handle that, but since it is absorbed, it cant be washed out , so then you expose it to silicone fluid, which is also absorbed, a reaction to both types of fluid absorbed in the rubber takes place causing the rubber to swell and tear, just the same as if the rubber was exposed to petroleum products such as gasoline.

So take advantage of the situation, and convert to silicone fluid while your at it since you really need to replace ALL the rubber parts anyway do to the gasoline, plus the brake system was failing anyway.

good luck, safe stopping!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Cool Cool Very Happy Laughing Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

duck1098 wrote:
[email protected] wrote:

Man that would be awesome. I bought this car to use it for my wedding in 2 months. I REALLY REALLY need to make sure it starts on our wedding day or I'm dead lol. I'm going to put it back on Craigslist after the wedding so let me know if you're interested. The previous owners ad is still up, here in Atlanta. He was asking 8900, I paid him 6k. Nice guy, owns a hot rod dealership.

If the brakes are not fixed correctly, you may be dead if the car is driven on your wedding day. the advice by some to simply flush the system and use it is bad advice, your brakes MUST be done right, no guess work, no short cuts.

the brake system needs a total rebuild, even if you did not get gas in it as it had leaked, the gas just sealed it's fate.

that car would not be the safest car to get into a wreck with.

Think not only of you, and the general public that could be killed or injured if your brakes fail to stop you in time, think of your new bride, face all messed up, broken body in a hospital bed. I don't mean to jinx you, but you have to take the brakes seriously, they are failed, and MUST be rebuilt completely before you drive this nice car again. Don't let your Bride drive in that car until the brakes are repaired correctly.

See my prior post on what NEEDS to be done.

Fortunately the brake parts you need are inexpensive and easy to replace.

Please don't take un-needed risks, you have a lot of responsibilities now that your tying the knot.

good luck and happy wedding!!!!!!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aussiebug wrote:
Yep - dual circuit brake fluid reservoir.

Use DOT3 or DOT4 fluid, but NOT DOT 5.

And definitely replace that fuel hose for the correct blue coloured brake fluid lines. Stupid PO to use fuel hose for brake fluid - absolutely NOT compatible.

Dont be surprised if you have to replace the MC and maybe even slave cylinder seals after having gasoline contamination in there.

I would disagree in part on the DOT 5 silicone fluid, it is a great fluid, wont eat paint and it wont absorb water hence you can do a life time fill and never have to flush it again (great if you have a fleet of cars like I have)

the one thing is that you MUST replace all rubber parts and remove ALL traces of old DOT3/4 fluid before converting to DOT 5 silicone. If you do this correctly, all new rubber parts (including hoses), and blow out the metal pipes with brake cleaner and compressed dry air to remove all old fluid, you will have a nice low maintenance system.

I have had silicone fluid in use in a couple of my cars for over a decade, great stuff. (I will be converting my latest project soon, as it is getting the full brake treatment) But if you fail to remove all old rubber parts you will find that rubber part will swell and tear.

I highly recommend silicone fluid, and since it requires all the rubber to be replaced, if you doing a complete brake job anyway, that is a good time to convert.

Of course your could stick with the DOT3/4 and having to flush new fluid thru every year (humid climates like Atlanta need yearly flushing, drier climates can go for two years) and don't splash any fluid on the paint and don't get any in your eye OUCH!! it burns

your choice, but your replacing most everything need for a silicone conversion anyway cause of the gasoline, so now is a great time to do it

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: