Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

crack in the generator stand
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ronbug73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:23 am    Post subject: crack in the generator stand Reply with quote

Hi
i drove yesterday and the generator light turned on.
we opened the engine. look whet we found.
the generator turned it self.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

look at the crack

we made aquick fix but i need a new 12v generator
stand
Ron
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That generator attaches with a strap that is bolted to the top of the fan shroud . if you look at the lower piece in my photo you will see the round shape the gen fits in And the two bolts sticking up with the nuts on them...( I always put the nut on where it came off so I don't loose any)
If your bolt has pulled out the whole piece can be replaced . I'm no metal expert but that is soft metal ...Aluminum or magnesium ????

I suggest you find BooZooK in the Type3 classifieds ; I have bought several parts from him and he is GREAT to work with .

Note ; When removing the 6mm bolts that hold this piece onto the block be VERY careful ; a LOT of type3 owners use Locktite on those small bolts...both mine broke off when removing

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One has to wonder WHY that cracked. Either it was overtightened, or your generator seized and turned in the strap, and then broke the strap mount.

I'd check and lube those bearings as long as you have the ten out of the car. Replace the brushed and clean/gap your commutator, too.
ronbug73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:11 pm    Post subject: fan house Reply with quote

we don't know why
but when we rebuilt the engine. the fan house was already with the crack.
we put an over size screw thread in order to fix the problem.
it hold for three years. the crack became big end the mount jump out.
the generator turned it self.
in order to fix we put a nut from the other side. but this only until i will get the new fan house. in Israel we don't have parts for the type 3.
so im waiting for the fan house. with a big help from Tram.

Ron
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: