Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oil pressure and oil pipe concerns
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
k@rlos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:14 pm    Post subject: Oil pressure and oil pipe concerns Reply with quote

Evening all.

Been have an on going issue of oil pipes failing on my 2110 bus motor. It's running a 30mm berg pump, remote filter head, Fram HP1 filter with a sandwich plate that feeds an external oil cooler and I use 20/50 mineral oil.

Since March I've had 1 by 1 all the full flow pipes fail so 4 in total. I thought I may have a stuck relief valve but on removal they are both free. The motor first run in June 2014 so my thinking is if the pump was to mighty it would have started bursting hoses from the beginning? Didn't start having trouble till March this year when 1 went, then again in July when the other 3 failed 1 by 1.

I've since had all new hoses made by a local hydraulic company, my pressures at idle are: 40 psi cold and 15psi hot. Any advice or ideas welcome, I'm stumped Sad
k@rlos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone?
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smaller pump, thiner oil or Berg pressure relief pump cover. 40 psi cold at idle is tooo much.

Dan
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A garden hose with a generic clamp will not fail with 40 psi, your pressure is not your problem. Your problem is with the hoses themselves

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmscott wrote:
A garden hose with a generic clamp will not fail with 40 psi, your pressure is not your problem. Your problem is with the hoses themselves

/\this
We could argue all day ( or years actually) about oil pressure and weight. But if your hoses fail, even at 100 psi, in my opinion you're using the wrong hose. Crimped on hydraulic ends are a good start. What spec hose did they use? I've starts using braided PTFE lines for everything and will not go back to anything else again
k@rlos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new hoses are braided PTFE lines. I ruled out the pump being the issue because I did 6-7000 miles last year without any leaks before I had this problem.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fram filters are not strong enough to be used for full flow. They are probably the worst quality of all the major brands, so get a clue, use a better filter.

What is the pressure rating of the hoses that failed?
k@rlos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

modok wrote:
Fram filters are not strong enough to be used for full flow. They are probably the worst quality of all the major brands, so get a clue, use a better filter.

What is the pressure rating of the hoses that failed?

The filter has never been the issue. I couldn't tell you the pressure rating, -8 from Speedflow UK
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it didn't say anything on the hose, then you don't really know what it is. Of course they use the excuse it's "braided", and for racing, and it's expensive, so it must be good right? well not necessarily.
Personally, if it doesn't have a name brand and a part number on there I stay away.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure and oil pipe concerns Reply with quote

30mm pump and 20-50, and you are wondering why?

Either drop the pump size down, or use a thinner oil. I'd go to 10-30, it will work fine and you'll stop breaking stuff. Right now your pressure is well over 100psi cold. I once ran a 30mm pump and 20-50, and easily burst a filter can that was rated over 250psi, before I learned my lesson.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What John said.
I keep wondering why these combo´s continue to surface, when we have been explaining it for at least 10 years. The only time a 30 mm pump is needed is for turbo engines, some hydraulic cam engines, generation 1 & 2 Ally cases and -maybe- if you are using a front mounted oil cooler. The rest of the time it just robs power and creates problems of all sorts.
I do NOT like the Berg relief cover. Too erratic performance and tendencies to crack. CSP´s version is significantly more steady. Add one of the latter to your engine along with a viscotity drop to 10W/30 or 15W/40 at the most, and you´ll be fine.

T
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: