Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1F2R vw trike frontend using bug suspension - workable?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaxdream wrote:
you just have to decide which side you want to have your back to on the road shoulder to change a flat tire on ( open side of the front fork arrangement ) . I personally would want the open side facing the right as opposed to the left as the pics propose( except that rocket sled trike with the double front wheel / tire

That's a good point.

The double tire trike is from New Zealand so its wheel is actually removed from the road side too.

I started building a front suspension like it uses and bent a pair of leading arms and welded up a VW spindle with the ball joints directly vertical(even with the eccentric) but I couldn't figure an easy way to build a wheel with enough negative offset to put the king pin axis in the center of the rim. Its such a clean design, I want to go back to it eventually but the Riley front end is just so much easier to build.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carcentric, you may want to look into Washington motorcycle laws as I believe straddling is part of the definition. They had a bit of a fit over the Corbin Sparrows, threatening to cancel the registration of ones titled in the state, but I believe they decided to back off for interstate commerce reasons. As a home built you will have to meet the state specs to title and license it. Perhaps they have backed off on the straddling requirement?

BL3Manx, what year is that Miata front end? Would it be practical to narrow it a little?
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a 93. I recommend 94 and later which had a power rack, you don't need the power so you disable it, but it has a faster ratio

The subframe can definitely be narrowed but you'd also have to shorten the rack. There are how tos on line.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: