Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine install - started right up but wont start again....
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vdubadm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:46 am    Post subject: Engine install - started right up but wont start again.... Reply with quote

Good Morning! This weekend I finished putting my engine ( 40hp, new bottom end ) back together and back in the bug.

I triple checked everything and went to start it, and it started right up! I had to continue to give it a little bit of gas because when I took my foot off the pedal it stalled out; this happened two or three times.

After that I could not get it to start again. I was hoping someone could give me some direction on where to focus my energy. Timing is good, valves are good, its getting fuel, its turning just not catching.
Thanks for the insight.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's either fuel or fire related. Pull the air cleaner off. Look down the throat of the carb and pull the throttle. Is the carb spraying gas? Is the carb fuel bowl full of fuel? Sometimes fuel pump diaphragms dry out when the pump sits for an extended period.

If that checks out, see if you're getting spark. Do you have power to the coil? Yes, then check point gap and continue to trouble shoot from there.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kiptere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fast idle cut off - That tube shaped thing sticking out the left side of the carb with a wire going to it. With the key on, pull the wire off it and touch it to it again. You should hear a click.
70 Bug Vert
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My "guess" - from your information - is that it was running from fuel already in the carb bowl, so fuel related. Confirm this using some aerosol starting fluid.

If so, check idle-cut off jet (electrojet), fuel pump lines attachment.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
vdubadm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good tips, I will check them out tonight!

In regards to the fuel bowl - how do I know if its full without taking the top off the carb?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't just remove the main jet plug and such fuel would just pour out?
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
vdubadm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, Im pretty sure we are good on the fuel front.

I put the test light on the coil to make sure I had power, and what I think I determined was that the distributor drive gear ( sorry if Im using the wrong term here ) was not moving, or moving sometimes.

Is it possible I didnt have it in all the way? Would it even fit if it were not in all the way?

At any rate, I adjusted it and it started, but it was running rough and I still needed to keep giving it gas is order to stay running.

Thanks again for the insight.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
vdubadm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I think I got it figured out. Took it for a test drive and it did well!

Thanks for the help.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vdubadm wrote:
Well, I think I got it figured out. Took it for a test drive and it did well! Thanks for the help.

So what exactly was wrong ? And/or what was the fix ??
vdubadm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a mixture of a couple things -

I dont think I had the distributor installed correctly, OR it was just not functioning properly for some reason, so I removed and reinstalled.

A couple of connection clean/checks from coil to distributor.

Lastly, I think I had adjusted the timing off slightly, so I corrected that as well.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: