Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel Injected Bugs, Blocks, Dual Ports, and CA Smog
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
FantaFanta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:31 pm    Post subject: Fuel Injected Bugs, Blocks, Dual Ports, and CA Smog Reply with quote

I'll start with: I love this site and I don't know what I'm doing.

Have a 1977 'vert with EFI which passed smog last year. Long story short, engine seized a couple months ago.

Bought a replacement long block from a dude on CL, which was build with some mods for high MPG inc: lightened flywheel, eagle racing camshaft, rockers, etc.

It's a single port, and I guess I'm a moron and that won't fly. Engine code is T0, which looks to be from a type 3. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/engine_letters.php

Talked about swapping the new heads for dual port heads, but called a mechanic who said, "you can probably make that motor work but it will never pass smog. You need a 1975+ motor." The details weren't clear, but seemed like a long explanation. Anybody have any more insight here?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your major issue is the single port heads, the FI won't fit. And since it's a later car it's not exempt so carbs won't do when it comes time to smog.

Sell the longblock and fix what you have or have it fixed professionally, there's a few reputable builders in your area that can repair your longblock and make sure it's set up for fuel injection.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
FantaFanta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^Pretty damn sure this is the right advice. Was trying to avoid the costs I was quoted on a rebuild...as much as I bought the car for.

Is anyone out there running a pre-1975, 1600cc block on an EFI bug and passing CA smog?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The block isn't the issue, almost any one will do. Your problem is those single port heads, swap them out to dual port and put a blockoff plate on the fuel pump pad and it'll work fine.

But myself I prefer an engine I've been inside and liked every single part, Craigslist long blocks scare the sh*t out of me, who knows what's really going on in there? Buy Tom Wilson's "how to rebuild your VW engine" book and dig into what you have, unless there's a rod sticking out of the side of the case it's likely not a big deal to rebuild at home (with a couple trips to the machine shop) and then you can trust it and know what's wrong next time.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Mint74bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is why I say there are only 49 states in the US....
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in the Lefty / neo Nazi state of CA, and have had to deal with the smog laws quite a bit. The bottom line is, if your car needs to be smogged, it has to be 100% stock. Not only does it have to pass the actual smog test, but it must pass the visual inspection as well. This means, that if you just change to a different air cleaner, you car will FAIL smog.

Of course there is one way to get around it. Slip the smog guy $100 to look the other way, and to put the sniffer probe in a different vehicle Twisted Evil .
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
pb_foots
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Multi69s wrote:

Of course there is one way to get around it. Slip the smog guy $100 to look the other way, and to put the sniffer probe in a different vehicle Twisted Evil .

You find someone still willing to risk going to jail and losing their livelihood for a hundred bucks, covet them like your first girlfriend. Cheating the smog police is no joke for a business owner. In the old days that's how we used to do it, some guy working out the back door of his bosses shop, but those days are long gone. If you want to play with your motor buy a pre 75 it's not that hard.

Or you can just move if you hate it here so much. There are plenty of other places to live in this big old country.

To the OP, if the FI is working, it won't be that expensive to move it over to another long block, but why waste time with crap off CL? Use a reputable shop as has been recommended and you'll be all set. Buy once, cry once. FI can be finicky, but it's a great system when it's working properly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DeathTrap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Multi69s wrote:

I many cases that won't fly. It will produce numbers not consistent with the vehicle presented.

Done a few times they actually park a guy across the street to watch.

Really.

Lic smock check and repair Calif Emissions Tech retired
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't hate this state, in fact I love it. I can go to the desert, dunes, mountains, and ocean, all within 3 hours of my house. However, I do hate the numb nuts that are in Sacramento. They tell us what time of the year we can ride our dirt bikes, yet they allow smog spewing leaf blowers all over the place. They even have different smog rules by counties.

In my 50 plus years on this earth, I have never had any other car for a DD then a ACVW. In fact I purchased my 69 DD back in 1987. Since that time, I have had to play games with the smog stations to have a little more pep in my VWs. It used to be that I had to smog my 69 every two years. Therefor, I would have to do an engine swap, when smog time came around. Luckily for me those days are gone, but I still have a pickled, 100% stock 69 engine in my shed, just in case.

If only we could keep the human sponges from electing idiots into office. If that were to happen, this would be a truly GREAT place to live.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: